It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

Mary Lou Hoo HB User
A question. How to dr.'s test for UTI vs Chlamydia?

Hello..I am hoping SOMEONE ( removed ) can help answer my question...I was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday. I gave them a urine sample and told them my symptoms (hurts just at the tail end of urinating), and they came back 20 minutes later and told me they found bacteria in the urine. Gave me a script for Bactrim.

Here is the main question....How to they know it is NOT Chlamydia? Is there a specific test that they do to determine it is a simple UTI, or do they test for Chlamydia at the same time?

I dont think Bactrum is the right med if it is indeed Chlamydia.

I just want to know if they check for both, or if they can tell it is straight uti by the typical testing that they do when comfirm ing that there is a uti going on.

Thank YOu!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-18-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: please do not ask members to post against the rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

tetianainto HB User
Re: A question. How to dr.'s test for UTI vs Chlamydia?

Hi - i am not a doc or rn, but i can tell you that testing for chlamydia is a separate test from uti, at least here in a canadian clinic. having said that, i do recall reading that there may be a urine test for chlamydia, but you may need to still ask for it. i don't think it's routine part of culturing the urine.

generally, i think it's a vag swab. ask for it if you feel you need to be tested for it. it may need a different antibiotic.

best, c

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

kittycat95 HB User

Hello Mary Lou! Hope by now you are feeling better and have found a definite answer to your question, but I did read your question and thought I would post a reply just in case you were still wondering. There is a seperate test done for chlamydia that is a vaginal swab and must be sent in to a lab for the test to be completed. As far as I know, unless some new development has come about, a test for chlamydia must be specifically asked for and is not just automatically detected in a urine analysis test. Also, my understanding is that there are specific anitbiotics that are given for the treatment of chlamydia. Most antibiotics will NOT treat chlamydia. I know that zithromax, arithromyacin (not correctly spelled), z-pack, etc. are antibiotics given to treat chlamydia. I do know that chlamydia is very simple to treat, just a quick round of antibiotics and it's gone. However, it must not be left untreated or it can lead to some very serious conditions such as pelvic inflammatory disease. Hope this has helped you some! Take Care!!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
(female)

lani88 HB User

no they dont check for std only if you ask them i have a uti also i have been on bactrum for 4 days and my bladder still feels full i have to pee so often the burning went away but i have to keep going to the bathroom i wander if this is normal? can some one help me maybe i need a stronger medicine.aloha lani88

Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

Tabby101 HB User

hey,
well i had a baby 4 months ago and had a catheter and had a uti or what they think is a uti for 2 months.They treated for a a yeast infection also which i did not have, but i have learned alot about this. There is a test for Chlamydia thorugh your urine sample so go back in and ask if they have done that also ask if they have sent your urine out for a culture that is important. As for your Bactrum if you find is isnt working in the first2-3 days go back you could have a yeast infection(bactrum can cause a yeast infection) ask for Macrobid it will get rid of your uti for sure because no matter what is wrong that is the medicine you will have to take i know this because i went to the doctor again yesterday and he told me that he was going to put me back on macrobid because that is what the urologist would give me. I hope this helps and i hope you get better soon.

Closed Thread