It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

kris447 HB User
Constant feeling of having to urinate

I had been making posts to the thread "UTI symptoms persist after treatment", but it was closed down because there were too many posts on this topic. I have been dealing with a miserable situation since August 25th. I had a UTI that started on that day, and after a week of Macrobid antibiotic, there were no more signs of infection in my urine. However, it is now 3 and 1/2 months later and I am still dealing with this constant miserable symptom of ALWAYS feeling like i need to urinate. It never goes away. I have been to a urologist, a gynecologist, and I have appointments with both an internist & a urogynecologist coming up in the next 2 weeks. I have had numerous urinalyses, urine cultures, 2 pelvic exams, a bladder ultrasound, a cystoscopy, and a CT scan. I have been prescribed both Detrol-LA and Flomax, and neither seem to help. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday this week & blood work scheduled for Wednesday. I am awaiting results of a vaginal culture & yet another urinalysis that was done on Thursday. So far, almost EVERY test they have done on me has been completely normal. The only things that they have found wrong are (1) the initial bacterial infection on Aug 25th (shown by bacteria, red & white blood cells & protein in my urine), and (2) microscopic amounts of red blood cells in my urine on 11/20 and 12/2. Other than those 2 things, it seems there is nothing wrong with me except for the CONSTANT feeling I have that I need to pee. I have been on bactrim antibiotic for 4 days now just in case there is a low-grade infection that is not being picked up in a urinalysis, or for a possible infection in the paraurethral glands (these are the glands on the outside of the urethra & can get infected but it can't be picked up by a urinalysis). My urologist wants me to stay on this antibiotic for at least 6 weeks because paraurethral gland infections take a long time to clear up, but after 4 days I have not yet noticed any improvement. The MRI they are doing this week will look for a possible urethral diverticulum (a "pocket" that can form next to the urethra & also can get infected). If none of these things end up being the cause of my misery, I am afraid I will be diagnosed with IC. My gynecologist is already telling me I have IC, but I believe the urologist is the better source of information on these things & he says my symptoms are not typical of IC. He also says people with IC usually do not have red blood cells in their urine. I just don't know what to believe anymore. Has anyone had similar problems? Any advice on what could be wrong or how to treat it? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

park914 HB User
Re: Constant feeling of having to urinate

I only have one suggestion and it may be wrong (since I did not have red blood cells showing in my urine). Have someone check your pelvic floor muscle. I kept getting tested for UTI's because I had the irrritated sensation that UTI's give at the beginning of an infection. My ob/gyne finally sent me to a female urologist who, after several tests, suspected that my problem was the pelvic floor muscle. I was referred to a physical therapist who specializes in treating this problem and it has helped. I need to mention that I saw a male urologist in the same practice a year before and he had no idea what was wrong with me. Good luck and keep persevering at finding out what's going on. A lot of doctors don't keep up with breakthroughs in what causes certain problems and how to treat them successfully.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
(male)

recarouk HB User

hello
im new to these boards and i too suffer from this problem.

i have the constant urge that i need to urinate, even after i have just been to the toilet, i have lived with this issue for over 6 years and the last 12-18 months have been fine, then all of a sudden it has come back, my moods have been affected, i feel so miserable and dont know what i can do about it.

i have had previous checks at the doctors which showed nothing, can anyone please suggest something i can do/try to get this to go away.

i am 26 years old and feel so low and depressed over this that life feels very hard to cope with some days, i have a loving family with 2 young children and i feel that instead of spending time with them i sit feeling sorry for myself.

many thanks

Last edited by recarouk; 12-11-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

kris447 HB User

recarouk,

i too am a 26 year old who has been living with this problem. however, i've only been dealing with it for a little less than 4 months. i cannot imagine living like this for 6 years! i have been losing my mind! but i seem to have finally found a cure! i have done A LOT of research online. my whole problem started with an actual UTI that was detectable in my urine on Aug 25th. after 1 week of antibiotics i still had mild symptoms, so i went back to the doctor for another urinalysis. this one came back negative for infection. ever since then i have been to multiple doctors and have had every test imaginable done, but they could find nothing wrong with me except for microscopic amounts of blood in my urine. anyway, i have found articles online that say my symptoms could be due to an infection of the paraurethral glands, or a bladder infection in which the bacteria have gone inside the bladder lining, and cannot be detected in a urine sample. the cure for either of these infections is a LONG course of tissue-penetrating antibiotics (as long as 8-12 weeks). so i tried bactrim and after 8 days, my bladder-symptoms were completely gone. unfortunately, that same day i also had an allergic reaction this the antibiotic which caused a rash all over my body & made me the itchiest i've ever been in my life. so i stopped taking that obviously, and i am now on doxycycline. this is the 3rd day i've been on it, and i am feeling almost completely better. i think if i can just stay on this antibiotic for a long time without having an allergic reaction, i will be cured. so my advice is to at least try a long course of bactrim, doxycycline, cipro, or some other tissue-penetrating antibiotic before trying anything else. i have had doctors diagnose me with interstitial cystitis, tell me it's all in my head, etc. they are all morons. try a long course of antibiotics! it just may make the problem go away! goodluck.

Last edited by kris447; 12-12-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
(male)

recarouk HB User

hi kristyn

thats great that youve found something that works, i think i might make an apointment to see our family GP and tell her about the issues ive had and see what happens.

thank you for the advice its much apreciated if and when i get seen/cured ill report back with my results.

thanks again.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
(female)

vivien.dunn HB User

hi all been reading your posts on your problems and i have the same thing i feel need to urinate all the time . going to docs today
my sister had these problems after being diagnosed with sjogrens which is an auti immume disease and she cannott produce salava . tears and also gets very dry bladder and vagina . she had her bladder stretched which helped for a while but it came back over and over again in the end we got anew doctor at our practice very young with new ideas who suggested because her bladder is very dry to try a hormonal cream and she uses it all the time and now has been clear for months now.. as i have came off hrt after total hyterectomy 6 years ago am wondering if that is my problem also as i am very dry down below also
am gonna mention it to my doc today i live in uk let you know what she says thanks viv

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
(female)

laurabo HB User
Lightbulb Re: Constant feeling of having to urinate

hi, I have had this problem for about a year on and off. It is quite annoying. I went to see a urogynecologist, all the blood tests, urine tests, cystoscopy and CT scans, all negative. I also suffer from mild anxiety attacks for which I am prescribed klonopin. When I would have the urinary symptoms and took the kolonopin and at the same time had that annoying feeling, that feeling in my bladder subsided completely. So I had an appt. with the uro and told her this, and she told me that some people have sensitive bladders and have sensitive nerves and are calmed down with anti anxiety meds. So she put me on amytriptaline which really worked for a long time. I had some side effects from it, mostly dry mouth and muscle twitching. I decided to go off that medication and take the klonopin as needed. Knock on wood, it has helped a great deal. I don't have the "bladder attacks" that often, and when I do I just take a half of the klonopin and if that doesn't work I will take the other half. I found also too that a heating pad helps especially to fall asleep. Hope this post helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Ottawa77 HB User

I think you should see my post on "Re: Can a UTI cause interstitial cystitis?"... I've found some interesting information about using Calcium Citrate Supplements to helps relieve symptoms... I'm exited!!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
(female)

Romie HB User

A few years ago I had a similar situation with frequent urges to urinate and a slight burning which made me feel I had to use the bathroom. Doctors found nothing wrong until I coincidentally had a yearly gyno check-up with a female doctor who said I had severe vaginal dryness and prescribed a vaginal moisturizer (Replens) to be used daily for a week and then reduce the frequency or use, and now I use it about once a week or even less. Its worth asking your gyno about it. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
(female)

Peanut1301 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Constant feeling of having to urinate

I am so glad I finally found some people who are having the same problem as me! I have had the constant feeling of having to urinate for the last 6 months, and like several of you, I have been to the Dr, Uro/gyno multiple times, had samples and cultures taken, pelvic exams, tried a few different antibiotics, abstained from all caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol, even tried a homeopathic remedy...all of which could find nothing and did not help.
I have been going out of my mind, and have become irritable and short-tempered because of how uncomfortable this is! I feel like I've researched the entire web with no luck, and have become so discouraged I just want to sit and cry. I will definitely try just about anything. Here's a question for any of you ladies out there: Does the urge seem to get worse during menstruation? I find that it gets significantly worse during that time of the month, as well as after I go running. Not sure what the significance could be, but it has been happening regularly now.
Thanks for any comments!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
(female)

diane777 HB User

I don't know if this will apply to anybody, but I had symptoms of a UTI for many months. Hot urine, having to urinate all the time, etc. Yet the urine tested negative for a UTI and actually looked very light and healthy. It turns out that I had a huge ovarian cyst that was pushing down on the bladder. I had it removed last month, and all the bladder symptoms I was having are gone. I can even sleep all night w/o having to go urinate once.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
(male)

gd72 HB User

I have been there, mine turned out to be Intetstitial Cystitis, this is when the linning of your bladder is to thin, from what ny docter told me. I delt with feeling like I had to pee like that for 3 years, just about drove me crazy. here is a site that you can look at to compare your symptems.
[url]http://www.ichelp.org/[/url]
My doc, has me on Flomax and Ampatrinalin, I thank the Ampatrinalin is the one that is doing the job and that's only 4 bucks a month at Wal-mart.
The Ampatrinalin is accually a med for depression but is used for other treatments as well.
If that is what you have stay away from cafine, dark soft dranks, spicy foods, tomatoes and anything your system dosn't process very good. I can't have milk or ice cream. I went for years like that, always having to pee, and then just a brip to two second stream. Sometimes I felt tender in my pelvic region at my bladder.
Check it out, and I hope this helps.
gd72

Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
(female)

kellyalmighty HB User

Hi, i wont waste very much time introducing myself..i just want to say that recently..about 1 or 2 months now i have had the feeling of needing to urinate almost all the time. I dont know when it started or why..but when i go urniate, at the end of peeing, i feel a heavy feeling from the vaginal area..like its going to fall out or something.. along with that, even after i pee, i feel like there is still some left.. you know like when you feel like you have just a teeny amount of pee left that you didnt pee out. its that kind of feeling that is annoying. and when i sit to go again, not no more then a pinch of pee comes out. its not like i have a full bladder, but just like i didnt go all of it. I have been taking hyoscyamine, for my ibs problem..and i know that is made to relax muscles, like bladder and uterus also. but it didnt do the pee problem until recently. i dont know if its that that caused it..i heard the muscles can get loose or weak, and kegal exercises have helped people. But its very weird..and I would like to know whats wrong

Last edited by moderator2; 06-03-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #14
(female)

tiger1972 HB User

While pregnant with my 3rd child at the age of 27 I started having feeling of constantly wanting to urinate and I mean constantly, they thought it might be twins but no just the 1 gorgeous wee girl. I thought the problem would go away but that was 10 years ago and many test, pills, sleeping pills and doctors telling me it's all in my head and alot of depression and the death of my husband 2 years ago. Life hasn't been alot of fun but my kids keep me going and maybe after reading you're stories I hope maybe to find some sort of help for my problem I'm not sure I can live like this forever but I live in hope that help is out there somewhere thank you for shareing you experiences it has made me feel like i'm not alone for the first time in 10 years

The following user gives a hug of support to tiger1972:
miked01 (10-13-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
(female)

Gramshe HB User

I want to know how you got to see other Dr. My husband has been going through the same thing as you but when he got a referal from his Primary Dr. to see another urologest he was told that she couldn't see him for 90 days after the last treatment he had from the one who did his surgery. Since his current one did a third procedure on the 17th of Aug. Then the new one can't see him until Nov.21. They said this is the law. If this continues he will be in a very deep state of depression by then. He is now. Has anyone heard of this law?

Closed Thread