It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User
Turp

My husband is about to have the TURP proceedure. The urologist said the laser proceedure would not work for him as his prostate is too large. Feedback from any of you men who have had the proceedure would be appreciated. Also, are there any negative effects or long lasting negative effects? Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Buzzy523:
cwright66 (11-11-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buzzy523 For This Useful Post:
cwright66 (11-11-2011), Ed G (07-28-2011)
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
(male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
Re: Turp

I had the TURP done last year - ask any questions and I will tell what my experience was.

Lenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Lenny, How was the recovery? What type of anesthesia was used? Was it successful for you? My husband appreciates any information/encouragement you can give. He was sure he was going to have laser surgery, but the Dr. said the prostate was too large. Only TURP would give him a lasting success. He doesn't know any men who had TURP. All had the laser. Any advice is welcome. Hope you are well. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
(male)

The recovery period is going to be 4 months - your doctor will tell you 6 weeks, but nobody I have talked to really recovered till that 4 month period. They leave out a lot of issues that you will experience. It is usually an overnight stay with a catheter for 3 to 5 days, then he will have frequency and urgency for a period of time and some leakage for a few weeks. This is all normal. I passed scabs after about 3 weeks, but not everyone has any trouble with this. again, this is a normal thing - the area that is carved scabs up just like any cut, but there is only one way for the scabs to come out. Everything is scary during the recovery period only because you don't know what to expect.
Are there any bladder issues right now?
He needs not to do any lifting (over 5 lbs ) for at least 6 weeks - no straining and that includes a bowl movement. Take a stool softener or something to make moving your bowls easier. He will have a period when he won't know if he has to pee or poop. It sounds funny, but the nerves that control both are where they do the TURP so it messes you up for a short time. I don't want to scare him - it is surgery and it takes some time to get the nerves to settle down.
How old is he? The younger you are, the longer it takes for the nerves in that area to settle down.
He will be under General anesthesia - won't feel a thing and usually you aren't in much pain afterwords. The best advise I can give is to just take it easy and let things heal. Try to move around a little - seems like scar tissue forms more when you are too inactive. A short walk around the house and just keep a positive attitude and don't rush things. They will give you Pyridium for the burning when you urinate - it helps big time so use it. The burning lasts for a short time, but will decrease as the time passes.
If you give me a history of what he was feeling as far as discomfort, I'll be more able to let you know what to expect.

Drink plenty of liquids - if he has bladder issues, stay away from anything that is acidic - soda, juices and other citrus items. Water is best to flush out the bladder and not to irritate the area.
I discovered that I had IC after a year of not understanding why I wasn't feeling better so I would recommend treating the recovery like IC and eat a good diet and stay away from the spicy foods.

Like I said - give me some history and I'll be better able to help you out.

What is his PSA test reading? I won't go into any other areas till you give me some more information and when is the surgery scheduled?

Lenny

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Lenny, Thank you for your detailed letter. My husband's PSA level was under 2. He is 62 years old. His problem is that he gets up at least 5 times per night. He had numerous tests over the last 4 years. Prostate volume, uro dynamics testing and scoping. All pointed to a very enlarged prostate. His Dr. advises the Turp procedure and told him that he would be released the next day without a cather. Does this seem logical to you? He has also taken Flomax for years and Avodart with no great results. He is basically having the Turp to relieve his night time bathroom visits. He is sitting next to me watching me type and he appreciates your advice and comments. This will be his first surgical procedure.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Lenny, Surgery is scheduled for Jan.5th. What is IC that you mentioned?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #7
(male)

The hardest part is the wait! Based on your description, I think this will be a quick procedure. If he doesn't have any bladder issues, it will be a quick recovery as compared to the normal TURP recovery. If his flow is good, I'm not understanding the surgery. IC is interstitial cystitis - bladder inflammation. He would know if he has bladder issues - pain and pressure and lots of frequency.
You are right - no catheter after a TURP has not happened to anyone who I know had the TURP. Either he is planning a quick snip or is doing the bladder neck incision instead. Anyway, it sounds like there isn't much of an obstruction. I am surprised that the Avodart didn't shrink the prostate. If what you say is going to happen - I don't see much of a recuperating period.
Tell me about the flow volume - that is the test that says it all. I have talked to lots of guys who had the TURP and everyone of us had the catheter for at least 3 days - that gives the area a chance to heal before the urine contacts the cuttings. Well, there doesen't seem to be anything for him to be concerned about - should be a quick and easy procedure. I would be interested in hearing what takes place after the surgery - post the news after the surgery so we can keep up with the procedure.
You all have a nice Holiday and tell your husband that the worry beforehand is much worse than the actual procedure. Time to take the valium and relax a little!

BTW - his PSA is great and really low for an enlarged prostate. This sounds more like a bladder neck procedure than an actual TURP.
Lenny

Old 12-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Good Morning Lenny, Thank you for taking the time, especially in this busy holiday season, to give your advice. We do not have the current reports on my husband's urinary dynamics. But from copies of other reports (over 20 mts. old) we read that his prostate was 4.7cm.X 4.0cm. X 6.2cm. The volume of the prostate is approximately 66cc (now it is 78) . There was also focal calcification seen in the prostate. Attention to the urinary bladder shows no evidence of intraluminal defect or thickening of the bladder wall. Pre void volume of the urinary bladder is 615cc. The post void volume is 302cc. Of course all this info is from almost 2 years ago. His bladder is definitely retaining urine. His stream is weak and he gets up all night long. He is still planning to have the surgery on Jan.5. He doesn't know exactly what will be done, but he said the Dr. is going to cut the prostate all around. She said "Prostiva" would only be a temporary fix for his problem, and that is why she (the urologist) has opted for the old surgery.
Thanks, and have a great day!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
(male)

All the things you stated are good. You're right - enlarged prostate seems to be the issue and the thin bladder wall indicates no blockage or at least not a long one. Retaining urine is one of the classic diagnoses and this will fix that. I see a pretty easy go for the recuperating period. I'll guess and say six weeks because there are no bladder issues to contend with. He will have burning for a while after the surgery and most of the other issues I talked about, but he should progress really quickly so I don't see any issues that he has to worry about. I still don't see him leaving without a catheter, but everyone is different and all the doctors do things a little different. Tell him to relax - it will go fast and things will heal quickly. Still stress the part about not straining for a few weeks - that keeps the area from bleeding and helps with the scabbing!

Have a nice holiday and this will fix him up for the New Year!
If you have any questions just ask away!

Lenny

Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Richie says "thank you" and we will get back to you after the surgery. Enjoy the holidays!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Lenny, The TURP proceedure is over. the Dr. said it went well. She (his urologist was a female) said the prostate was large but it was more the configuration that was impeading the uretha. she was surprised that this deformity did not show up on any of the tests previously performed. The took the cath out after 24 hours and as soon as he started to urinate 200 cc he was discharged. Yes, he went home without a cath. He is urinating pretty much diluted blood. Little burning and tingling. He is a little concerned that it is taking time for him to get the stream started. Once started he pees OK. The nurse said this is OK. Any comments or questions from you. We appreciate your input.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
(male)

hey,

Been waiting to hear from you all. I'm happy all went well. The reason for the catheter is to help with the bleeding and swelling. It takes a few days for the swelling to go down so he'll have a few days of burning and a slow start to his stream, but once things start healing, he'll have a much better time. This is a bigger surgery than they make it out to be and it will take some time for the nerves and all the working parts to start working better.
If he has a lot of burning, get some Pyridium - it works great. Also, he is in the young group so it takes some time for the nerves in that area to settle down. Keep posting on the progress and if you have any questions or concerns. I won't say too much right now - don't want to put any more stress on him, but as the healing process goes on he'll have questions.
Time to take some Valium and chill out for a few weeks!
Oh, being nervous causes the stream to start slow also. There are two valves that have to open for the urine to flow and one is in the prostate right where they cut. The Doctors tend to not tell you a whole lot about the recovery - guess you need to have gone through it to know

Lenny

Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Good Morning Lenny, Everything was going well but had a sudden set back last night. Could not urinate, severe pain in stomach with swelling. Called Dr. and told to come right in. they had to put in cath and drain 950cc of urine. Left cath in till Friday. What do you recommend to take for the spasms? Any other surprises I should know about. The doctors don't tell you much of anything. They don't even want me taking the pyridium. I have stopped that for now. All I am taking is Cipro and Tylenol with Codine. Thank you so much for your advice.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
(male)

Well, was a bit surprised about the blockage, but that is what the catheter is for. There is a lot of swelling and the urine passing over an open wound isn't so good either. It is best for a 3 or 4 day use of the catheter - eliminates a lot of what you just went through. You are right - they really don't tell you much. I'm surprised about the pyridium, but you won't need it till the catheter comes out. Now, I want you to try and relax and not let the anxiety take over. This whole situation is a mind thing. It affects us all the same way - afraid of not being able to pass water. Even after 18 months, I have that fear now and then. This takes a big mental toll on you so all that you are feeling is normal even if the doctors don't agree. I know the catheter is a pain in the butt, but necessary right now. A Little discomfort for a few days will pay you back big time!
Any questions or if you just want to vent - feel free. That is what this board is all about - getting help and information from people who have gone through it.
The spasms should subside, but they have medication to help with that. The key to all of this is trying to relax and let the healing progress. I know, easier said than done. I take Valium when I feel on edge - a small dose 2.5 MG. It just relaxes the pelvic muscles and it really helps when you need it and it is so small a dose you don't have to worry about addiction. If you think you need some just ask the good old Dr. for a prescription and the generic is really cheap ( less than $2.00).
Stay in touch and I'll keep checking on you!

Lenny

Old 01-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Hello Lenny, Went to the Dr. this morning. She removed the cath. She didn't know why I retained urine so fast the other night??? Perhaps it was a little clot. And perhaps they should have sent me home from the hospital with a cath??? She removed the cath today. She wouldn't give me Valium. Said not to take Flomax anymore. Said I could take pyridium. Came home and wow! what a change in urine output. The flow is much stronger. Also passed two slim pieces of, I guess, the prostate. Hope these things passing will not cause a blockage. Feeling better and I will try and stay calm. Thank you so much, friend, for your advice and comments. Richie

Closed Thread