It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

henjenny HB User
my son's urologist found scar tissue in his penile fascia

I am trying to figure out what caused scar tissue to form in my son's penis. The urologist found it during an emergency surgery. "It was was likely, he stated "that the scar tissue formed over several years rather than all at once." He asked me kindly if I knew of any traumas or injuries to my son's penis. I know he was aware of the bike accident that my son was being currently treated for, so I thought he was suspecting some form of abuse or something. I told him that any abuse by others was just imposible because I was his only guardian and caretaker. He asked if there were other children around my son at times. Not until his kindergarten, I was sure of it. He said that the injuries must have begun long before his kindergarten age. He asked to refer me and my son to a psychologist for further review and I abliged. This was getting stressfull and I wanted to know if I somehow overlooked or failed to protect my son from abuse. I had to discuss many many details of our lives and behaviors. Then later the urologist said that my mentions of my son's many erections that lasted more than an hour were evident that he was having priapism and the priapism may have been a result of an injury. So far the only known explanation that they have concluded is that his erections were strained by tight clothing or had been injured by him rolling on it in his sleep. The urologist informed me that a boy's penis can easily be injured while it is having an erection. I never have been told that before. He told me that bending an erection of a child can cause a serious injury. I did't know this either. Has anyone outthere been told similar news and should I feel at fault for injuring my son. If I had known this I wouldn't have pushed his erection down when placing his diaper on and he was always fussy when I put snug diapers on because looser ones would let his penis point up and then his pee would squirt onto his belly. Please tell me the truth is the urologist exagerating or is it really so harmful to bend erections down???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User
Re: my son's urologist found scar tissue in his penile fascia

what the doctor is telling you sounds logical. It's never a good thing to force an erection down. If this is what you've been doing when he was a baby, then it could have injured your son. Rolling over on it in his sleep? Well, I suppose that could do it, but I would think only if he was sleeping on a solid surfice that didn't have any padding. As for a bed, it doesn't sound likely that rolling over on it would do any damage. I would have him checked out by a urologist/another urologist, or your family pediatrician. Perhaps your son had a past bike accident that he didn't mention to you. He probably won't remember it if you asked. His penis could have been injured playing on the monkey-bars, at the park jungle-gem who knows. At this point I wouldn't stress over how it happened, I would just consentrate on what I can, if anything I can do to correct the problem. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User

henjenny,

My neighbor's teenage son recently had an emergent surgery due to scar tissue preventing him from being able to urinate. They didn't get the 3rd degree like you are. She said the urologist asked if he remembered falling on hits bike or any traumatic injury as a child, and a bike accident was the only thing they could remember. Don't blame yourself for tucking your son's privates during diapering. Diapers aren't tight enough to cause that type of trauma.
You'll probably never know what caused it, so I'd hesitate to dwell on it or make an issue of it. Scar tissue has a way of reforming, but I hope this is the last your son will have to deal with it. Good luck

Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
(male)

mohelp HB User

This is not for you to blame yourself for. There are many things that could potentially cause scar tissue to form and, as has been said, you may never know what caused it. I agree that you are not responsible for this just for keeping snug diapers on your son. It is possible that an infection that went unnoticed cause the scar tissue. Regardless, you should not feel like a bad parent because of this. Get other opinions from other urologists. Don't completely give up on trying to find a cause, but don't dwell on it solely - rather do what is necessary to make the situation better. Best of luck.

Reply Reply