It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
(male)

rollo HB User
Microscopic Blood in Urine

I need help. I'm a 46 yr old male non-smoker. Went for a routine physical and everything was normal except that they found microscopic blood in my urine. I am a runner so Dr. suggested I rest 2 or 3 days and repeat the test. I did but blood still showed up so she is refering me to a urologist.

I'm going nuts. Most of the benign possibilites have been eliminated, infection, stones, exercise. The next step is a cystoscopy which I am hyperventilating about, not just the test but the potential results. I'm freaking out. Can anyone help me?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

granolawife HB User
Re: Microscopic Blood in Urine

have you had a CT scan? my mother has similar symptoms and is going for a CT tomorrow. depending on what is does/does not show, she may be set up for additional testing...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
(male)

rollo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolawife View Post
have you had a CT scan? my mother has similar symptoms and is going for a CT tomorrow. depending on what is does/does not show, she may be set up for additional testing...

Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
(male)

rollo HB User

Yes I'm actually going today.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

granolawife HB User

good luck ... let me know how it turns out. my mother is going to my husband's center today (he is a radiologist), so we should at least get some info. immediately to see if she needs further testing.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
(male)

rollo HB User

I will and thanks for responding. I'm actually going for ultrasound today. I think that is different from a CT scan.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I hope I can put your mind at ease. I also went through the same thing about 4 years ago and believe me no-one freaks out like I do. I practically had my grave dug. The ultrasound or CT scan is to rule out any obvious cause of the blood like stones or a tumour in your kidney or anywhere else in the abdomen. You will most likely have a urine test which is specifically looking for cancer cells. The cystoscopy is nothing as far as procedures go. The urologist told me that 90% of times they find no cause for the blood. In about 6% of cases they find kidney stones, or an abcess in the bladder. The remaining 4% are tumours. Once you've had all the tests and provided they don't find anything you're in the clear. Basically they rule out any serious cause. Some Docs put it down to a tiny leak in your kidneys or a leaky membrane in your bladder, I don't think they really know. The only follow up I've had to have is to have my blood pressure checked every 6 months. When my G.P. found the blood in my urine while doing a routine check up he described it as a damn nuisance, he said he has to advise me to have it checked thoroughly, but chances of it being anything serious are extremely remote. The Urologist also said we're talking microscopic here, he said in the unlikely chance that it did happen to be a malignancy it would be very early. By the way I was 51 at the time. I hope I've helped to calm you down, the stats are in your favour. All the best. Please let me know how you get on.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
(male)

rollo HB User

Thanks for your response. You have helped me become a little less frenetic but you know if you are a lunatic like me until all the tests are in I'm going to be thinking about this.

I'm curious, how are your blood tests now and do you continue to have the blood in your urine? Do you need to constantly have this examined?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
(female)

granolawife HB User

hey, how did your ultrasound go?

my mom's CT went fine and showed the tiniest 1mm "cyst" that she will follow up on, but otherwise normal. the cyst is not what's causing the blood in urine, so she will have to have the cystoscopy. i will be taking her as soon as she schedules it.

no news is good news! i've done some reading and read that many times they do not know what the cause is, but as long as they clear you with these tests, you are good to go and just follow up.

good luck w/ your tests

Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Hi there, trust me no-one is as big a lunatic as I am. Yes the blood is still in my urine, as far as I know it always will be. The only follow up I have to have is my blood pressure checked every 6 months. The kidneys control your blood pressure, so that helps to monitor them. The cystoscopy rules out anything nasty, so basically they just rule out any nasty cause for the bleeding and forget about it. Whatever is causing it is nothing to be concerned about. I don't think they really know, different Docs have different theories. You'd be surprised how may people have it, I have an Aunty ( 89) and a cousin with it. There would be heaps of people who don't have urine tests and wouldn't know they have it. Please try to calm down, you are so unlikely to have anything nasty.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
(male)

rollo HB User

Thank you so much for your response it certainly has helped to calm me down a bit. You are a good soul.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
(male)

rollo HB User

Ultrasound came back negative. I'm getting a little less nervous. I've been using the urine teststrips for blood and have noticed that after a week of not jogging it looks like the strips are now reading negative. I've asked my DR. for another urine test.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I told you so, just joking. That's great news, I hope you are spared of the cystoscopy. Having said that, it really is nothing as far as procedures go just a damn nuisance.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
(female)

granolawife HB User

that's great! my mother will still be having the cystoscopy soon. we are trying to schedule it now. i'm happy to share any details if you'd like them...

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
(female)

bp8me2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Ultrasound came back negative. I'm getting a little less nervous. I've been using the urine teststrips for blood and have noticed that after a week of not jogging it looks like the strips are now reading negative. I've asked my DR. for another urine test.
My brother has had micro blood in his urine all his life (he's 47 now) and has never had a problem. I wish the same for you. Breathe.....

Closed Thread