It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

danainpa HB User
antibiotics not working for uti

I got an Azo test to see if I had a uti. Turns out that I do. The doc gave me Nitrofuratonin 100mg twice a day about 2 years ago, it took a month to cure! Same thing just happened. He gave me nitro for 5 days, helped alittle, but didnt cure it. He then gave me cipro for 7 days, didnt cure it. He now has me on nitro again for 5 days, and sent out a urine culture. Does anyone know why i cant get rid of this uti? ITs driving me crazy.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

aimanley HB User
Re: antibiotics not working for uti

Quote:
Originally Posted by danainpa View Post
I got an Azo test to see if I had a uti. Turns out that I do. The doc gave me Nitrofuratonin 100mg twice a day about 2 years ago, it took a month to cure! Same thing just happened. He gave me nitro for 5 days, helped alittle, but didnt cure it. He then gave me cipro for 7 days, didnt cure it. He now has me on nitro again for 5 days, and sent out a urine culture. Does anyone know why i cant get rid of this uti? ITs driving me crazy.
I had the same problem. Recurring UTI's. My doc finaly put me on Levaquin and it seemed to knock it out. He also has me taking nitrofurantoin (50 mg.) daily. So far, so good. Make sure you drink plenty of liquids also. I realized I wasn't drinking enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

Wantok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimanley View Post
I had the same problem. Recurring UTI's. My doc finaly put me on Levaquin and it seemed to knock it out. He also has me taking nitrofurantoin (50 mg.) daily. So far, so good. Make sure you drink plenty of liquids also. I realized I wasn't drinking enough.
Nitrofurantoin is definitely the drug to take for UTIs because it is not a full spectrum anti-biotic like cipro and therefore is not killing all your bugs, good and bad. But there are a couple of UTI bacteria that nitrofurantoin does not kill. I unfortunately had those and took a lot of nitrofurantoin before they cultured me and I had to take a full spectrum antibiotic (keflex). Ask what bug your culture shows up. If you can, you want to take nitrofurantoin. One thing I learned after about 30 UTIs is taking 50 mg. or 100 mg. of nitrofurantoin after sex (prophilactically) is a great way to handle UTIs, assuming you aren't having sex every day and your bugs aren't unusual ones.

W

Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
(female)

Wantok HB User

The other thing I learned after dozens of antibiotic treatments for UTIs was that vaginal estrogen cream (for those of us with the menopausal UTIs) is also a great post-sex antidote. Our vaginal bacteria is changing and the estrogen cream beats back those bugs. Estrogen cream does not have the same risks at HRT orally, and you needn't use much or use it more than when you have sex. Any worthwhile doctor facing a menopausal UTI problem should start with this (but they don't). The dose I was given was (I think) 1 cc twice a week, but I didn't need to take that much to control them. Also, you have to remember to drink lots of water, drink unsweetened cranberry sauce (my doctor told me the cranberry pills were not safe, for some reason) and pee and wash after sex.

Last edited by Wantok; 03-23-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

Wantok HB User

Are you eating lots of refined sugar (or even drinking alot of orange juice or other things very high in sugar content)? Refined sugar (that means alcohol too) will inhibit the ability of the antibiotic from working. Also do a google on other foods that you should avoid when treating UTIs (like caffeine, spicy foods). Give your liver all the help you can. You don't want to become immune to antibiotic treatment. Drink unsweetened cranberry juice (several glasses), take vitamin C, and drink lots of water. I have posted other things if you are menopausal. This really can be serious so you want to do all of these things.

W

Closed Thread