It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
(male)

Silas1066 HB User
Urine dribbling

For the last month or so, I have been having issues with urine dribbling after urination. Even if I "milk" the urine out, I still get a few drops later, and it feels like there is urine trapped in the urethra--almost ready to come out! It causes a kind of mild irritated feeling in the penis.

I went to the doctor at my college and she did a digital rectal exam--she didn't detect any problems with the prostate, but she gave me an antibiotic. Didn't do a thing--I'm still having this issue, along with some urinary frequency.

Does anyone else have this issue? It is driving me nuts!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
(male)

jroland HB User
Re: Urine dribbling

I've been having the same issue for about six months now. I saw a urologist two months ago about this because, as it is for you, it was driving me nuts .

During the first visit the doctor ordered blood work and gave me the wonderful (read--awful with a big twist of sarcasm) DRE and ordered a blood test. Upon examination, he said that my prostate was roughly the size of a twenty year old man's--15 ounces, if memory serves. (I'm thirty-eight but don't feel a day over, oh, about sixty-five.) He also gave me samples of a medicine called Uroxatral, which is an alpha blocker for the symptoms of BPH.

And off I went.

I saw him again in three weeks to a month later. He said that the blood test, which measured PSA (and maybe a free PSA, I think), showed no abnormalities. Lucky for me he performed another DRE, and then I had the following done to me:

1) bladder sonogram

2) peak flow meter test (the one where you pee into a plastic cup-looking thing)

The bladder sonogram showed nothing abnormal. The peak flow meter showed a small degree of obstruction. He said that the overall results indicated two possiblities:

1) That my prostate was growing around the urethra and compressing it slightly. In this case, the uroxotral should work well. (I had some improvement with the samples of this medication, and although he wrote me a prescription for ninety additional pills and I got it filled, I only took another two weeks worth because I had a very rare side affect from taking the medicine--chest tightness; lovely.)

2) That I had some scar tissue from an old injury and that the buildup of the tissue was not allowing the urine to free flow through the urethra as it should. He said the solution for this is a cystoscopy, where he would insert a small tube with a scope into my penis, find the obstructing tissue, lance it (or whatever the technical term is), and then I would be good to go. He equated the feeling of having the scope inserted as having a strong urge to pee--nothing more. Well, I had the procedure about ten years ago, and for me, it hurt like bloody hell (something about my smooth muscle being a bit thick in certain places; whatever the reason, I won't have another such procedures unless I absolutely must.)

My completely unsubstantiated guess is that I have a combination a one and two. Two, because when I was eighteen, I made the mistake of playing street hockey without a cup and took a slapshot full on from a very good hockey player from only a few feet away. It was very cold that day, and the puck pretty freaking hard. I stopped that damned shot, though The same guy who took the slapshot also took a few shots (punches) at my groin when we were kids (please don't ask; it was just a phase he went through or something; I have no clue).

I hope this helped a little. I know how frustrating this problem is. I'm going to just try to grin and bear it for as long as I can (maybe until a few drips becomes a few too many drips, whatever that number might be) and then have the damned cystoscopy. I hope I did not scare you off from having the cystoscopy. Please see a urologist and let me know how it turns out for you. Maybe we can share our experiences on this site and help other guys going through the same thing.

JR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
(male)

torontoguy9 HB User

Iíve experienced this for some time now. Its really on and off sometimes its really bad and annoying other times I donít even notice it for months. The urgency can sometimes be severe and disruptive. Iíve been to the GP and all seems to fine with all my test.

I wanted some feed back what are you guys doing to deal with the dribbling? Any creative ways to manage it or just living with it?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
(male)

jroland HB User

What I do--and this only helps me a little--is after I'm finished (or finished as it's defined for us ), I wait five seconds, cup my scrotum, and then pull up (I've seen this technique referred to as milking). This forces up most of the trapped urine in my urethra. Sometimes I'll repeat the process a few times, but no matter how many times I do this, when I sit back down or lean over or even just "wait" long enough, a drop or two will always come out. After I get some other health issues worked out (if I can, I should say), I think I may head back to the urologist. He seems willing to go ahead with a cystoscopy, and if there is an obstruction causing the problem, he should be able to take care of it during the procedure. Sure wish there were another way, though.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User

tRY THE KEGAL EXERCISE. This exercise strengthen's the muscle that controles/stop and starts urine flow. try that while you are sitting or lying down, hold/squeeze your penile muscle tight, like you're trying not to pee your pants! Hold for 10-18 seconds/counts, and let go! about 3 reps or so, two or three times daily. Not only will this help your urine dribbling problem, it strengthens your erections. I have the dribbling problem some times myself. I'm older, but if this muscle is farely weak it doesn't matter how old you are. This exercise have help me greatly. Try it and see what it doesn't for you.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

jroland HB User

Thanks! I will give the kegal exercises a try.

JR

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
(male)

jroland HB User

Just a quick update: the kegal exercises do seem to be helping with the problem--quite a bit, actually. I have not had the dribbling problem over the past few days (more accurately, I should say I have not noticed any problem; it could be there but just reduced to such an extent I haven't paid it any attention). Thanks so much for the good advice.

JR

Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
(male)

luke79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroland View Post
Just a quick update: the kegal exercises do seem to be helping with the problem--quite a bit, actually. I have not had the dribbling problem over the past few days (more accurately, I should say I have not noticed any problem; it could be there but just reduced to such an extent I haven't paid it any attention). Thanks so much for the good advice.

JR
JR, it's been about 15 days since your update regarding the kegals. Are you still having success with this approach, or have things returned to where they were?

Luke

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
(male)

jroland HB User

Sorry for the long delay in responding--haven't checked the board in a while. The kegal exercises seemed to work well. The problem has not completely gone away, but it is not a great enough nuisance for me to consider seeing my urologist again before my usual once-a-year visit next January.

I found out recently that my father started having prostate problems in his late thirties, too. I don't know how much of my problem is genetic, but maybe genetics is a factor. I'm considering some natural remedies to treat an enlarged prostate (I'm just guessing that maybe this is the cause of my urinary dribbling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
JR, it's been about 15 days since your update regarding the kegals. Are you still having success with this approach, or have things returned to where they were?

Luke

Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
(male)

jroland HB User

Luke,

Also wanted to add that for the past four months my urine flow has been pretty weak, too. I haven't found any solutions for this, and the kegal exercises seem to have no significant effect on the problem.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
(female)

kb73800 HB User

My husband didn't have this problem as a young adult, but as he gets older it happens more and more often. He hates using toilet paper to absorb it. I see where there are a few companies that make underwear to help prevent spotting. Has anyone ever tried Stanfield's, Dri Brief or Murphy's underwear?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
(male)

mcetest HB User

I have started having similar symptoms, can u plz let me knw what the medication shoud i take

Closed Thread