It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
(female)

atwitsend321 HB User
Question can birth control pill cause frequent/urgent urination

Can the use of orthotricyclin lo cause frequent/urgent urination? My daughter started using this to regulate her period 12/18/08. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but her frequent/urgent urination problem (see post "daughter has frequent/urgent urination" for more info) started to get increasingly more constant...she saw the Dr. on 12/18/08 for frequent urination and was told she had a UTI...also told the Dr. that day that her period had been going on for about a month (very heavy) and that is y the birth control pill was prescribed. She is now to the point where she has maybe one day out of the week where she can completely ignore the sensation of urgency and have a somewhat normal day...she has missed school for a constant 5 weeks now. I have been trying to figure out if there was something I was missing and the birth control pill is the only "variable" that changed in her life that coincides with this problem. I mentioned it to the urologist and they seemed to not know if this could be a side effect...they said they would look into it. I tried to research it myself but with no luck...the sites all say "this is not a complete list of side effects". Please help!
My daughter is supposed to be getting a video urodynamics done....when I called back to see if they had set it up, they told me that the machine has broken down and that they will call me when they are able to get her in. I thought "@#%&*, are you kidding me??? My child has been basically a hermit for over a month and they finally decide to do something other than treat with meds (none of which have worked by the way) to determine what is going on and this happens. All she can do is literally "sit and wait". All she wants to do is get back to school, socialize with her friends and live a "normal" teenage life...is that to much to ask?
Any response would be greatly appreciated....sorry for the rambling on.

Last edited by atwitsend321; 03-20-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
(female)

bladderproblems HB User
Re: can birth control pill cause frequent/urgent urination

Hi there-

I just signed up to this board to post a reply - because I feel your daughters pain. I am 26 years old and since December (after a really bad UTI) have been running to the bathroom even though there is no longer an infection. I do not have pain or burning. My problem is just frequency. I sometimes total 24 times a day (normal is like 6 times a day) and at one point was even waking up 5 times a night to go.

I have been to two urologist and 2 gynecologists....and have gotten no where! At each visit I specifically stated that two weeks prior to when this whole thing started I had begun taking a new birth control pill. They all dismissed my claims.

I finally got an appointment by a doctor who specializes in FEMALE UROLOGY (no prostate, or ed) Her first question was: What birth control are you on? I have since stopped taking my pills and have gone down to 12 times (not perfect but bearable) In addition I am taking detrol la to try to get it down to 6!

It seems that for some women BIRTH CONTROL causes the estrogen in your body to be very low. Estrogen is the chemical that helps the whole bladder system work properly.

In addition, even though I have now been down to 12 times a day....a few days after my last period finished - I shot up to 22 times a day! And yes- that is the time that the womens body has the lowest amount of estrogen.

I hope this helps. I have begged my Doctor to publicize the connection between birth control and UTI's and Urinary problems. Good Luck.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

ouchmyjawhurts HB User

This is the only place I've ever read where people understand my problem!

I started the pill just over a month ago, just started my second pack. I thought I had a UTI after 10 days of the pill, after unprotected sex, even though I had no pain, I was urinating frequently to the point of silly. Doctors said there was a high white blood cell count in my urine so infection was brewing, put me on antibiotics. Not much changed really. Ever since I have been frequently urinating. I get the urge to go again not long after I've been... not the same sort of urge as with a UTI, it's more annoying than uncomfortable. No trouble with passing the urine at all, just so often! I thought I was pregnant but then I got my period so that ruled that out! My pill free week showed signs of improvement but it has got worse since I have started my second pack, I had one cup of tea this morning and urinated 5 times afterwards without drinking anything else! It's definitely birth control related, I have no doubts.

I have searched the internet for this side effect and found little information. Anyone who has asked on other sites get the response "sounds like you're pregnant." Well I'm definitely not pregnant! The poster above hits it on the head for me! Thanks for the mini explantion... doctors or leaflets don't seem to pick up on this!

I'm getting lots of side effects with the pill it seems, nausea, stomach cramps, frequent urination. I've posted so much on these boards asking for help! But I have peace in knowing it is the pill and not a uti or pregnancy and hopefully these side effects will go eventually.

Last edited by ouchmyjawhurts; 05-13-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
(female)

DianeO90 HB User

OMG, I am having the same symptoms since I got my IUD Mirena put in and wondered if there was any kind of a connection. My dr. said absolutely not, the IUD wouldn't cause that but I'm doubting him now after reading this. I too only have to go frequently and it doesn't burn or hurt but just go a lot during the day. I usually only go once at night though and have the frequency in the day so that is weird to me.

Did any of you who have this get put on medication for the frequency? I'm wondering if there is some kind of medication I can take for this rather than getting my IUD taken out. The IUD has given me my life back by not having 14 day long periods which I LOVE!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

The same exact thing happened to me when I was on the pill when I was around 20. I went to a gyno and a urologist. No one could figure out what was wrong with me. I actually had to wear a pad---because I was leaking urine. Not much, but enough to be an issue.

Many years later, I read that it is the change in hormones that causes the urethra ( or something down there) to become irritated.

Hope this helps. That was a terrible time in my life!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Linda1652 For This Useful Post:
Lotsaquestions1 (05-14-2012)
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

ouchmyjawhurts HB User

I think Linda is right, it must be the change of hormones that irritates the urethra, because mine has settled down a lot now, after two packs, thankfully! Just stick it out Diane!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
(female)

stephanieheth HB User

I have had the SAME issue. Frequent urination with sudden urge. Had the Mirena put in last Oct. and it's just got worse and worse. Went to urologist and he did a thorough exam and scope of my bladder thinking maybe I had intersistial cystitis or something. It all looked fine and he suggested I get the IUD removed. I don't want to because I love my shortened periods. Does anyone else have this frequent urination and urgency w/o any sign of UTI? So frustrating!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
(female)

KellyCz HB User

I have a neurogenic bladder due to Cerebral palsy and also some issues with my cycles. I was given a prescription for Yaz (birth control pill) to try to regulate my periods. But, I have a history of frequent UTI's and Yaz has this as a side effect so I have not filled it yet. I have incontinence issues and have to wear protection anyway, after reading this I am thinking I will certainly scratch the idea of the pill to regulate my periods...Is there any other way to do it??? My periods are very painful and I actually get ill with them...but don't want to use a birth control pill unless absolutely necessary because a lot of them seem to have urological side effects.....

Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

sls15 HB User

It's interesting to see people's thoughts on this. I have had frequent bouts of UTI like symptoms that last about 4-7 days and occur every 2-3 months or so. At first I'd been treated for UTIs and it sort of seemed to help, but I started noticing that consistently drs found no bacteria and so I went without treatment a few times and noticed the symptoms would go away on their own. Still- when they are there they are unbearable. Not really painful but an urgency that is unrelenting and incredibly irritating. This thread made me think- these symptoms started about 2 years after I had a Mirena IUD inserted, and lasted all through the next 3 years till I had it removed about 2 months ago. Yet, hear I am again with the same symptoms (now I am using Nuva Ring). I wonder if progesterone levels could have anything to do with this. Has anyone heard such a thing? Also, a urologist told me I probably have spastic pelvic floor muscles- anyone also heard this? I did not put much merit to his word as I felt he was not listening to my symptoms well and was almost forcing me to admit to symptoms I did not feel. I would LOVE to hear any remedies people have found to this incredibly frustrating problem!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
(male)

rosewood11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwitsend321 View Post
Can the use of orthotricyclin lo cause frequent/urgent urination? My daughter started using this to regulate her period 12/18/08. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but her frequent/urgent urination problem (see post "daughter has frequent/urgent urination" for more info) started to get increasingly more constant...she saw the Dr. on 12/18/08 for frequent urination and was told she had a UTI...also told the Dr. that day that her period had been going on for about a month (very heavy) and that is y the birth control pill was prescribed. She is now to the point where she has maybe one day out of the week where she can completely ignore the sensation of urgency and have a somewhat normal day...she has missed school for a constant 5 weeks now. I have been trying to figure out if there was something I was missing and the birth control pill is the only "variable" that changed in her life that coincides with this problem. I mentioned it to the urologist and they seemed to not know if this could be a side effect...they said they would look into it. I tried to research it myself but with no luck...the sites all say "this is not a complete list of side effects". Please help!
My daughter is supposed to be getting a video urodynamics done....when I called back to see if they had set it up, they told me that the machine has broken down and that they will call me when they are able to get her in. I thought "@#%&*, are you kidding me??? My child has been basically a hermit for over a month and they finally decide to do something other than treat with meds (none of which have worked by the way) to determine what is going on and this happens. All she can do is literally "sit and wait". All she wants to do is get back to school, socialize with her friends and live a "normal" teenage life...is that to much to ask?
Any response would be greatly appreciated....sorry for the rambling on.
Dear atwitsend321,
I have a 16 year old daughter with very similar symptoms and story. Started Pill three months ago. Urge to urinate gradually increased til Dec went to dr for UTI. Not sure if was infection but treated anyway with bactrim. Went to urologist and had all the tests: VCUG xray and non invasive urodynamics, blood test, urine tests, ultrasound. All negative. Dr feel has normal bladder, kidneys, reproductive organs. Went to gyn and all looks good. Stopped pill on Jan 14th but still no relief from urge to urinate.

How is your daughter doing? Did you find anything that helped?

Thanks,
Rosewood11

Closed Thread