It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

sschiwart HB User
Ok, need to hear people's experience with ureteral stents

My husband discovered rather painfully last week that he has a 6mm stone located in his right ureter proximal to the kidney. After waiting a week to finally see the urologist yesterday, they did an outpatient procedure this afternoon to place a ureteral stent. His urologist opted not to remove the stone today as it was so close to the kidney that it most likely migrated back into the kidney as the stent was placed. He is leaving the stent in for about 6 weeks and then is planning on using a laser to remove the stone.

Since the stent placement this afternoon, my husband has been experiencing significant pain when urinating and increased frequency in needing to go. Of course there is blood in the urine right now do to the trauma of the placement, and stinging badly when urinating. He is also having pain in the right abdomen area where the ureter is located.

He is currently taking 2 lortab 5/500 q 4-6 hours prn for pain and pyridium 200 mg three times daily...I'm hoping this pain and irritation will ease up enough to back off the pain meds so he can live a more alert life until they remove the stent in 6 weeks.

So, any advice or personal experiences with the ureteral stents?

Sonya

Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User
Re: Ok, need to hear people's experience with ureteral stents

I have had many stents and what your husband is experiencing is normal and it well get better over the next few days. Hot showers work well to ease the pain. Living with a stent over the next 6 weeks will be a challenge. He well need to watch his activity level as the more he does the more the stent well be irritated. It will also depend on what type of stent put in. Post your questions and I will answer them

The Following User Says Thank You to greens For This Useful Post:
jeannepoo (07-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

Meecho HB User

Hello,

Just want some information please, any advice is very much appreciated

I'm a 50-year old woman, one week post-op from UBJ laparoscopic surgery. I now have a ureteral stent in my left ureter, which will be removed May 25th. I'm experiencing excrutiating back pain, especially on my left side where the stent was placed. Also, I have a constant sensation to urinate and irritation when I do. I know the pain I'm experiecing is normal, as recovery is different for everyone. I would just like to get some feedback from a female (preferably) having had the same surgery as I did and to have an idea how long the pain will last. I have a planned beach vacation for June 12th and am really hoping that I will not have to cancel it because of my health situation.

Thank you in advance

Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

brigadiva HB User

I have had history of ureteral stent placement. Of course, I am female so my experience may not be the same, but I did experience the symptoms you described after stent placement and removal. I think it is due to the abrasiveness as the stents are placed, and then the sympoms subsided. Hope he feels better soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to brigadiva For This Useful Post:
kmckinneylmt (01-11-2012)
Closed Thread