It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
Urethral dilatation and cystoscopy

Hi

I am due to have a procedure called urethral dilatation including a cystoscopy under general anaesthetic.

I would just like to know if anyone else has had this and what to expect.

How long will I have to stay in hospital? Is it only day case surgery?

Many thanks to anyone who may be able to share their experiences of this procedure.

Kind regards

Niad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
Re: Urethral dilatation and cystoscopy

I would be grateful for a little advice on this if anybody knows about this procedure or has had it done themselves.

Regards

Niad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
(male)

haoba1 HB User

Hi,
Don't know about the dilation, but the cytoscopy part certainly dilates the urethra while its in there. I just had the cytoscopy, basically they put a numbing gel on/in there, then insert the scope with a camera in the urethra. I was wide awake thru the whole thing, though I was afraid to look at exactly what they were doing. It gets worst when it gets in a bit, sort of like the feeling of needing to pee real bad plus hitting your "funny" bone. Not fun, but bearable for the short time they do it. They examine the urethra, prostate, and bladder, I think, then take it out. At least its quick.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

I also had a cystoscopy done a few years ago. It was at the urologist's office. The doctor goes in with a camera, it feels very uncomfortable but does not hurt. It only took maybe a minute. When I got down from the table, the linens on the table were wet, I was embarrased, thought I lost some pee. But the nurse told me, it is okay, before the doctor went inside with the camera they fill you up with water I guess to "blow up" the bladder. Or maybe that what they call dilatation.

I also had the uncomfortable feeling having to pee very bad but the nurse told me about that before the procedure.
Laura

Last edited by Laura B; 05-11-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add sentence

Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, haoba1 and Laura B.

Thanks for both your replies.

Thankfully I'm having it done under general anesthetic. I certainly wouldn't want it done while awake. I will probably just feel very sore afterwards when I come round from the anaesthetic. Not looking forward to it, but it has to be done to find out why I have chronic urinary retention.

Many thanks and kind regards

Niad

Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Had a cystoscopy yesterday. Have had bladder cancer in the past, but got an all clear yesterday. Nothing really painful about that procedure.

But my wife has to have her urethra dilated occasionally. The urologist stretches the urethra to facilitate urination. That procedure evidently is quite painful. I think anesthesia would be a good idea.

My wife says that after this procedure, she feels like she's urinating through razor blades for a day or two.

Good luck,
Bill

Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

How often does your wife need to have the dilatation done?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

A year ago I had a cystoscopy with hydrodistention done under anesthesia. They will send you home the same day as the procedure, after you urinate. The process was not bad at all. Also I had the dialation done as well. If you experience any discomfort after awaking the nurse can give you something for that. I had bladder spasms after urinating because medication was added to my bladder for the condition that I had( Interstitial Cystitis). I know of several people that have this procedure done periodically for their bladders.
Good Luck!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

ALEET7:

I was just wondering how often ''periodically'' is?

Monte

Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, Bill and aleet7.

Thanks for both your replies.

Bill: Pleased to hear you got the all clear yesterday. I'm having it done under general anaesthetic next week. I am a little nervous as I thought it would be quite painful to wee through and may be a problem for me as I have severe frequency due to chronic urinary retention so will be going quite a lot and resulting in pain a lot which is what he is doing it for to try and see if perhaps a narrowed urethra is the cause of my retention.

aleet7: Mine is a day case procedure where I'm being admitted to a day surgery ward. Will they release me even if I'm too sore to urinate? This is what I'm worried about. Do you know if they had it done for the same or a similar condition as me? Such as chronic urinary retention? Did they find it effective in curing their symptoms?

Many thanks and kind regards

Niad

Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, all.

I had my cystoscopy with a urethral dilatation included yesterday under general anaesthesia. It only took about roughly 15 maybe 20 minutes, not sure as I was under anaesthetic but when I asked my consultant, he said it only takes 15 minutes. Quite quick really.

When I woke up from the anaesthetic, I did feel like I needed to go to the toilet but did not go until I had had a drink of water and some toast with strawberry jam on it as I had wobbly legs for a bit until bedtime when I got back.

I have to say the worst part was actually lying on a trolley bed in the anaesthetic room ready to be put to sleep. The anaesthetic is a weird feeling when they administer it as they first gave me a relaxant agent or something like that which made the room spin and my eyes all weird! They did not ask me to count or anything, they just injected it and I must have drifted off as I don't remember anything after that. The bit when you know the anaesthetist is coming with the last syringe with the anaesthetic in is when he smiles at you like my anaesthetist did!

I had to go into the emergency theatre as all the other theatres were full and the one I was supposed to go in was not prepared for me.

The first time I went to the toilet it felt a bit stingy like an infection. And I had a pad on when I came round but did not bleed that much thankfully. Think my urogynaecologist was gentle while he was doing it.

Today I am not bleeding at all. Yesterday I bled just a bit, mainly noticed it when I wiped there.

Today it's still a bit stingy and sore like an infection but nothing too bad.

Haven't noticed any improvements to my symptoms, still feel the same as before. When may I notice the improvements from the urethral dilatation?

Regards

Niad

Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
(female)

wallaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
Hi, all.

I had my cystoscopy with a urethral dilatation included yesterday under general anaesthesia. It only took about roughly 15 maybe 20 minutes, not sure as I was under anaesthetic but when I asked my consultant, he said it only takes 15 minutes. Quite quick really.

When I woke up from the anaesthetic, I did feel like I needed to go to the toilet but did not go until I had had a drink of water and some toast with strawberry jam on it as I had wobbly legs for a bit until bedtime when I got back.

I have to say the worst part was actually lying on a trolley bed in the anaesthetic room ready to be put to sleep. The anaesthetic is a weird feeling when they administer it as they first gave me a relaxant agent or something like that which made the room spin and my eyes all weird! They did not ask me to count or anything, they just injected it and I must have drifted off as I don't remember anything after that. The bit when you know the anaesthetist is coming with the last syringe with the anaesthetic in is when he smiles at you like my anaesthetist did!

I had to go into the emergency theatre as all the other theatres were full and the one I was supposed to go in was not prepared for me.

The first time I went to the toilet it felt a bit stingy like an infection. And I had a pad on when I came round but did not bleed that much thankfully. Think my urogynaecologist was gentle while he was doing it.

Today I am not bleeding at all. Yesterday I bled just a bit, mainly noticed it when I wiped there.

Haven't noticed any improvements to my symptoms, still feel the same as before. When may I notice the improvements from the urethral dilatation?

Regards

Niad

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
(female)

wallaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
Hi, all.

Regards

Niad

Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
(female)

wallaj HB User

I'm planning to have this procedure done in a few weeks and your posts have been helpful. I've had the cystoscopy done in the past at my urologist's office, but he said that I would need to have my urethra dialated this time. I was concerned about pain afterward. I was wondering what procedure they use to dialate. Thanks for your posts. Any added info would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, wallaj.

Thanks for your post and I'm pleased it has helped.

My urethral dialation was done under general anaesthetic as day case procedure, meaning I went home on the same day as the procedure.

I am not entirely sure exactly what procedure they use to dialate but mine was done at the same time as a cystoscopy.

The pain afterwards - I was not in any real pain, I just had an 'urge' feeling (Don't think they emptied my bladder after!) when I came to but nothing else, apart from a bit of stinginess when I went to the toilet for the first couple of times but it gradually decreased.

My consultant said to me that it would be very sore for 24-48 hours which definitely got me worried but it wasn't as sore as he had me expect.

I have a constant 'urge' feeling anyway so I never knew or felt any different.

Unfortunately it never helped so I am looking for another treatment, apart from drugs which from what I've read do not help with urinary retention.

I have mad my decision on the treatment I would like and it is the sacral neurostimulator as I have heard for my problem would be very good but my consultant hasn't even offered it me! I'm going to ask him and beg him for it and hopefully I'll at least be allowed a trial...

Good luck with it and hope this information helps.

Please feel free to askc any more questions and I'll try and answer them as quickly as I can before your procedure.

Kind regards

Niad

Closed Thread