It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
(male)

logmgr HB User
Blood in urine...pain left side by hip

I have passed stones in the past and still have a few in there.

I have been doing fine for about a year.

Out of nowhere I started having pain in the left side between the hip and ribs...this has been ongoing for about a month.

Sometimes, completely at random, I see a lot of blood in the urine, but no pain during urination. I did notice that sometimes it is hard to start the urine flow, once or twice I even had to sit down.

I am 60 y/o male.

At first I thought a stone was stuck between the kidney and bladder, but the pain is much duller than typical stone pain, and often lasts for hours and I have had the pain go away for as long as three days. There is no association between the pain and blood in urine.

I recently noticed a small swelling near the left side of the stomach or bladder
which sometimes causes pain. This swelling goes away if I lay flat on my back.

I also have pain from time to time in my lower right back inside the lower ribs,but this could be caused by driving as I do travel 700 miles a day, 5 days a week.

It is hard for me to get into see the doctor because of my work schedule and being out of town.

I did have a cystoscopy last year which was fine, and a CT scan that confirmed stones still in both kidneys.

Any thoughts on the pain in left side or visable blood in urine ?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Blood in urine...pain left side by hip

Hi. I'm a 59 yr. old woman who has been dealing with kidney stones since I was 20. I have stones in both kidneys too. There was only one time when my urine was completely red from blood. That freaked me out b/c I didn't feel any pain beforehand either. If I were you, I'd make time to see a Urologist to make sure there's no blockage or infection. I get a KUB xray done every 6 months to make sure there aren't any problems. I wish you well. Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

I agree with sunshine. Blood in urine could be due to any number of things. Get to a urologist ASAP. I know you're work schedule is important. But your health is MORE important. The sooner you do this the better, as early detection of most diseases makes them that more treatable. Best for your own personal peace of mind, too.

Hope it works out ok for you

Monte

Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
(male)

logmgr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
Hi. I'm a 59 yr. old woman who has been dealing with kidney stones since I was 20. I have stones in both kidneys too. There was only one time when my urine was completely red from blood. That freaked me out b/c I didn't feel any pain beforehand either. If I were you, I'd make time to see a Urologist to make sure there's no blockage or infection. I get a KUB xray done every 6 months to make sure there aren't any problems. I wish you well. Sue

I have had microscopic blood in urine, but most times it is visable and red or brown.

When I saw the urologist last year when he did the cystoscopy he said the blood was from the stones and wanted to do a lithotripsy which I am against because I have heard that often you need 2 or even 3 treatments; and I know another guy who had one and it raised his blood pressure and he ended up staying in the hospital 3 days and layed up another week at home.

My GP doctor says there is no infection if there is no burning sensation when urinating; and he suspects cysts which conflict with the urologist.

What is a KUB x-ray ? I have never heard of that. Maybe I should ask them to do one ?

I have an appointment set for the 6th.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
(male)

logmgr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesflus View Post
I agree with sunshine. Blood in urine could be due to any number of things. Get to a urologist ASAP. I know you're work schedule is important. But your health is MORE important. The sooner you do this the better, as early detection of most diseases makes them that more treatable. Best for your own personal peace of mind, too.

Hope it works out ok for you

Monte

Thanks Monte.

I have an appointment for the 6th.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've never had to repeat a Lithotripsy. A KUB stands for kidney, ureter and bladder xray. Basically, it's just an abdominal xray that will show stones. It takes 5 minutes and produces less radiation than a CT scan. Let us know what the Dr. says. Good luck. Sue

Old 05-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
(male)

logmgr HB User

Thanks.

I will ask about the KUB x-ray.

Last time they did 2 CT scans and one had dye in it...quick and painless but I do not like the dye or the radiation.

Will post back after I see the doctor.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OK. I hope all works out well for you. Will be looking forward to your next post. Sue

Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #9
(male)

logmgr HB User

Saw the doctor.

He wanted a urine sample but I was unable to give him one....wish I could have.

He did an exam...pressing on my stomach and bladder...said KUB x-ray was not needed at this point.

He suspected diverticulosis which had shown up as minor on a CT scan last year and gave me Cipro and instructed me to come back in 2 weeks if I was still having problems.

And wouldn't you know it as soon as I got home and went to the bathroom there was red blood in my urine....maybe from him pushing on stomach during exam.

I am feeling better now after taking the anti-biotics for 2 days; but I suspect there was either infection or inflamation somewhere...guess I will see how things are in 2 weeks.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope the antibiotic helps and you don't need any other treatment. Best of luck. Sue

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
(male)

logmgr HB User

Had more pain and red blood in urine.
Went back to the doctor....this time I was able to give them a urine sample....they said I had calcium crystals in the urine along with bacteria.....and microscopic blood.
They concluded that I was passing small stone particles...although I have not noticed any...and that perhaps infection had set in.
Soooo.. I am on Cipro again....this time for 15 days instead of only 7.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry you're dealing with that still. At least they found the crystals and prescribed Cipro again for your infection. Have you ever drank cranberry juice? A long time ago, I drank a whole bottle and passed a stone. I hope the longer course of Cipro will knock the infection out and you can pass the rest of the crystals.

Closed Thread