HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Urology (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/)
-   -   Cystoscopy experience (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/698069-cystoscopy-experience.html)

djkyosti 06-12-2009 11:42 AM

Cystoscopy experience

I had a cystoscopy (male) today, and I post this to help ease the fears of others as I know that the very idea of a camera going up the penis fills most men with dread. First of all, don't worry -- it is not that bad, and it is very quick.
First, I was told to take my clothes off from the waist down and put on a gown. Then I was taken into the procedure room. The nurse gave me a Cipro pill to take (for me that was the worst part, because Cipro makes me feel like crap) and then she seated me in the procedure chair and cleaned the area. She used a large syringe without the needle to squeeze some antisthetic gel into my urethra. This was not painful. Just a very mild pinching or burning feeling at first. About five to ten minutes later, the urologist came in and did the test. When the scope first enters you feel a slight sting but it really does not hurt. Moving the scope down the urethra feels a bit weird, but it isn't painful either. Going over the prostate and into the bladder feels like quick pinch. I wouldn't say that it hurt, but it doesn't feel good. Then he checked the bladder and came back out. I didn't really feel any pain and it was done in less than 5 minutes. The most I can say is that it is a strange feeling but if the urologist is good, it isn't bad at all. And I was very nervous. In fact, had I been less nervous, it would have even been easier because a couple of times he had to tell me to relax. I wouldn't be too worried if I had to ever do this test again.

Doctor gave me the results right there: all normal (he thought I might have a stricture).

I did not need to urinate so I hopped on the subway for my one hour ride home. I could feel some burning in my penis as the antisthetic wore off but nothing unbearable. I drank some water on the train and was worrying the whole way home about that first tinkle. Well, I peed first thing when I got home and it wasn't too bad. It stung a little at the tip of the wiener, but was certainly not unbearable. Urine looked normal. No blood.

I do feel a bit tired now; probably from the anxiety of the day and the freaking Cipro.

Bottom line: if you need to have this test, don't worry. It is not as bad as you think it is

boston george29 06-21-2009 08:06 AM

Re: Cystoscopy experience

Thanks man..I was freaking out, I was really making myself sick worrying!! It eases my mind knowing they give you a numbing jelly..

Thanks

[QUOTE=djkyosti;4010617]I had a cystoscopy (male) today, and I post this to help ease the fears of others as I know that the very idea of a camera going up the penis fills most men with dread. First of all, don't worry -- it is not that bad, and it is very quick.
First, I was told to take my clothes off from the waist down and put on a gown. Then I was taken into the procedure room. The nurse gave me a Cipro pill to take (for me that was the worst part, because Cipro makes me feel like crap) and then she seated me in the procedure chair and cleaned the area. She used a large syringe without the needle to squeeze some antisthetic gel into my urethra. This was not painful. Just a very mild pinching or burning feeling at first. About five to ten minutes later, the urologist came in and did the test. When the scope first enters you feel a slight sting but it really does not hurt. Moving the scope down the urethra feels a bit weird, but it isn't painful either. Going over the prostate and into the bladder feels like quick pinch. I wouldn't say that it hurt, but it doesn't feel good. Then he checked the bladder and came back out. I didn't really feel any pain and it was done in less than 5 minutes. The most I can say is that it is a strange feeling but if the urologist is good, it isn't bad at all. And I was very nervous. In fact, had I been less nervous, it would have even been easier because a couple of times he had to tell me to relax. I wouldn't be too worried if I had to ever do this test again.

Doctor gave me the results right there: all normal (he thought I might have a stricture).

I did not need to urinate so I hopped on the subway for my one hour ride home. I could feel some burning in my penis as the antisthetic wore off but nothing unbearable. I drank some water on the train and was worrying the whole way home about that first tinkle. Well, I peed first thing when I got home and it wasn't too bad. It stung a little at the tip of the wiener, but was certainly not unbearable. Urine looked normal. No blood.

I do feel a bit tired now; probably from the anxiety of the day and the freaking Cipro.

Bottom line: if you need to have this test, don't worry. It is not as bad as you think it is[/QUOTE]

exxon 06-24-2009 03:21 PM

If they use the correct drugs, you won't feel a thing.

centurion1957 09-02-2009 01:26 PM

I had a cystoscopy ("male") just short of a year ago, but still it's quite clear in my memory. Looking at the previous posts on this topic from other gentlemen it would seem that such experiences were virtually the same. My wife who is a Nursing Supervisor was with me trying to quell my fears as she accompanied me on one of her days off into the Urological procedure room. I tried my most to hide my fears and embarrassment. My wife was her sweetheart normal self as always. I never had a cystoscopy before. And yes I was scared as hell because my wife knew it even though we had discussed it several times. The urologist was a female doctor. That part didn't bother me as much as the procedure itself, even though she had told me in meticulous detail what I would experience during the whole procedure in her doctors office. After the female urologist had cleansed my penis with some kind of antiseptic solution, then, she injected a liberal amount of lidocaine jelly down inside my urethra. It did sting when the jelly passed between my prostatic area and inside the sphincter neck of the bladder.
She then slowly and gently introduced and guided the flexible cystoscope tube down my urethra. There was no pain until it passed between my prostate gland and neck of the bladder. I was some damned glad my wife nurse was at my side because I was grimacing and squeezing my wife's hand at this point. The female urologist asked me if I was OK ? Feeling embarrassed I just nodded my head with an affirmative gesture. The doctor continued her procedure until a short 30 secs later I started having extreme painful spasms in my bladder I didn't understand. My wife coaxed me to slow my breathing apprehension down which eased the painful bladder spasms.
A short time later and the female urologist had finished her procedure.
She apologized to me and told me that sometimes such things do happen unexpectedly. Did I come out of this a heroic trooper ? Well gentlemen lets just say all ego aside it helps when you have a wonderful sweetheart wife who happens to be a Nurse Supervisor at your side.

mainpain 05-11-2011 02:29 PM

I've had that procedure done (in office) as well and would not repeat it. I took that 1st **** in the office and thought I was going to die!!! Felt like razor blades and acid all at once, never again in the office... if you are irritated down there already then you want to have it done as an outpatient, they twilight you, you feel nothing until that 1st ****.
I just don't know why they don't give a shot or pill before hand to relax you...

jbuch 09-20-2011 07:16 PM

I had a cystoscopy under general anesthetic last week. I am 17 year old male. I had symptoms of a stricture so they had to check by doing a cysto. The experience was not as painful as I expected. There was no stricture so they didn't perform a dilation. I felt a little bid of burning but nothing intolerable. The best thing you can do to subdue the pain is drink lots and lots of fluids. Whenever you pee, drink more.

rab1960 01-27-2013 05:20 PM

Thanks for your post. It's looking like I will be going through this also. I have bladder stones so I think my cystoscopy will take much longer. seeing my urologist for the first time in a few weeks. I'm very nervous.

Millard 01-31-2013 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=rab1960;5123943]Thanks for your post. It's looking like I will be going through this also. I have bladder stones so I think my cystoscopy will take much longer. seeing my urologist for the first time in a few weeks. I'm very nervous.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"][B]I have had a cystoscopy performed a number of times in the urologists office. If he sees a stone, he gives me the option of him "grabbing" it now or go to outpatient at the hospital. I just tell him to go ahead and get it. He has his little basket already attached to his scope so he just gets hold of it and pulls it out. He let me watch on a big screen so I could see exactly what he saw and see every move he made. It wasn't a pleasure but I would still rather have this done in his office and not the hospital.

Good luck.
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

rab1960 01-31-2013 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=Millard;5125886][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"][B]I have had a cystoscopy performed a number of times in the urologists office. If he sees a stone, he gives me the option of him "grabbing" it now or go to outpatient at the hospital. I just tell him to go ahead and get it. He has his little basket already attached to his scope so he just gets hold of it and pulls it out. He let me watch on a big screen so I could see exactly what he saw and see every move he made. It wasn't a pleasure but I would still rather have this done in his office and not the hospital.

Good luck.
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
thanks, my urologist is at the hospital so that's where it will be done. At least I pay nothing for it.

santer1 03-06-2014 06:11 AM

I Just had a cystoscopy too. I agree with this poster. It was no big deal. The anxiety anticipating it was a lot worse than the procedure.