It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

djkyosti HB User
How long does painful urine last after cystoscopy?

I had a cystoscopy yesterday, and while I must stress that the test itself is no big deal, urination after the test is no trip to the beach. Every time I have passed urine since the test (24 hrs ago already) I have felt stinging in the tip of the penis. I expected this and was prepared for it, and the stinging is not unbearable, but it is unpleasant. How long is that supposed to last? The urologist made it sound like it wouldn't be that big a deal and that burning urination would be normal. I am not taking any medication for it, just trying to drink plenty of water. I assume it will all return to normal down there sometime this weekend . . . .

Thankfully there was nothing of concern in the test, and I have had no bleeding or fever (they give a cipro right before the test just in case). I feel good today, just don't really want to go out because I know when I pee it will hurt. This will be intolerable if it does not improve by Monday for work.

Now I think I can understand just a little bit what women have to go through at the gyno.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
(male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
Re: How long does painful urine last after cystoscopy?

Usually it takes a couple of days - the first 24 hours are the worst, then it tapers off!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
(male)

djkyosti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNYI View Post
Usually it takes a couple of days - the first 24 hours are the worst, then it tapers off!
Yes, it does seem to be tapering off although still not normal yet. Drinking lots of water definitely helps.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

I feel for you...I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and had this procedure done. It was awful for me. My doc actually prescribed percocet because of the pain (and nature of my condition).

Anyway - You'll feel better by tomorrow morning. I found a LOT of relief in taking a warm bath. Give it a go.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
(male)

djkyosti HB User

Update:

It is now 5 days since I had the cystoscopy, and I can assure all of you that what people say about the stinging pain of urination does indeed diminish as the days go on, and it is true that the more water you drink, the less pain. By the third day, I was almost entirely pain free, and now, on the 5th day, I only feel the slightest burn upon urination that is actually more like an itch at the tip of the penis that I believe is actually a sign of healing. They use a clamp to hold the urethra open, and I suspect that the bruising from that is the last to go away.

I never used pain medications at any time. The first 24-48 hours are bad, but I believe manageable if you know what to expect. I did not know exactly what to expect and think that the urologists tend to downplay the amount of pain and how long it will last. Of course, everybody is different and each procedure impacts each person differently.

If you have this procedure, don't worry too much about the test and be prepared to spend a couple of days drinking lots of water and recovering.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

stillfighting HB User
Smile Re: How long does painful urine last after cystoscopy?

I have to agree with you, and want to add that I didn't use prescription pain medication (except for generic pyridium) afterwards either. The second day wasn't as hard as the third, and I would want to say to anyone who has this done NOT to plan to go back to work for a couple days - it feels like recovering from surgery. Also, watch out for prescription painkillers. Taking them during the urinary pain I felt the last 2 weeks caused terrible constipation, and I couldn't decide which pain was worse at one point! But it does get better...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I had this procedure and had absolutely no pain at all, not even the first urination. My Doctor said I may feel a little bruised but shouldn't have any stinging. I'm surprised that you all have had pain. I'm glad you're OK now.

Closed Thread