It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

michellez HB User
Constent bladder pressure with negitive urinary tract infection?

I'm a 38 year old who last week develop what I thought was a urinary track infection. I was running to the bathroom every 5 minutes as I had a constent urge to urinate but when I did only a few drops would come out. I went to my MD and they tested me for an Urinary track infection but it came back negative. By the weekend I was going crazy as I was unable to sleep it was so bad and I went to the ER. Again they tested me for a UTI and it came back negative. They did an ultrasound to see if my bladder was distended but it was completely empty. They gave me Detrol to calm my nerves in my bladder but it did not work at all.They did a cat scan and all that showed was large fibroids in my uterus. The ER told me it could ether be my fibroid or a bladder issue. I'm so frustrated now as I have had the fibroids for years so why now would they all of a sudden bother me so? It just does not make sense. Then this "bladder issue" what could it be that would just come on all of a sudden and be so severe? Except for the CONSTENT urge to urinate ALL the time I have no other symptoms

Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Constent bladder pressure with negitive urinary tract infection?

It definately could be the fibroids pressing on your bladder. I had that with Ovarian cysts. I've suffered 20 years with bladder problems. Most were the same as you. Eventually I was diagnosed with Intersistal Cystitis. It is basically bladder infection like symptons. After they test you for everything and throw the kitchen sink at you, they come up with that diagnosis. There is no test for it. The meds they gave you are for Overactive Bladder. I take something like that too. In your case I think the Fibroids could be causing pressure. Maybe they moved or changed in size.

That is all just my opinion. Hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
(female)

helenm55 HB User

Hi,
I had have had bladder problems for years now, with stress incontinence and had a bladder repair done 14 years ago where it is suspended in a sling of mesh, it wa very successful but over the last few years I have had problems with urge and pain with wanting to go to the toilet, no pain when having a wee but pain soon after needing to go again I had a cystoscopy where they have a look inside your bladder and the surgen took a biopsy of the bladder lining, this showed I had Interstitial cystitis, this is where the bladder lining produces mast cells that distroy the protective lining of the bladder I was put on antihystamines and a special diet that excludes most fruit and anything acidic, it was a difficult diet to follow but it worked my symptoms improved almost at once, my surgen says I will have to stay on the diet for the rest of my life. IC was ruling my life it made it very difficult going anywhere there always had to be a loo nearby. Now I can go for long walks without having to worry, some days I get a bit of irritability but it is usually because I have eaten something I shouldn't. hope this helps you.
Love Helen x x

Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

elementaryteach HB User

Michellez,
So you have no other symptoms, other than bathroom frequency and urgency? You don't have any burning sensations near the bladder? Sometimes it takes a LOT of persistence that doctors keep checking to see what the problem is, and taking care of it. YOU know there's something wrong, even if nothing is officially diagnosed yet. And I would know, because after 3 UTI tests (2 came back negative, 1 positive), I was FINALLY diagnosed with IC last fall. I am currently taking 3 medications to help with this debilitating and ANNOYING condition, because like you, when I first obtained it, I was going to the bathroom every 15 or 20 minutes. I'm currently taking Elmiron (helps repair lining of the bladder), Trimethoprim (keeps burning, painful infection away), and Vesicare (helps with frequency and urgency. I started taking it about a month-and-half ago, and it is MUCH better now! I'm not living in the bathroom as much! I can even wait 3-4 hours before visiting the bathroom again! It's GREAT! My doctor gave me a 14-day supply of FREE samples, and some coupons for refills. I hope that you discover what you have.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User

Hi Michellez,

I just want to add to all the info you already received that you might want to try a urologist since they specialize in urinary problems.

Fourteen years ago, after I started getting bladder infection after bladder infection, my primary care dr. referred me to a urologist after a few months because he knew I had some type of problem causing so many bladder infections. The urologist performed a few tests which were basically to rule out major problems that could be causing the infections. One of the tests was called a "retrograde", which was done as day surgery, where dye is put into your bladder to help the dr. tell if something serious is wrong.

Without going into lengthy details, I only have to take 3 antibotics a week to prevent infections and I had to increase the amt. of fluid I drink every day to keep bacteria flushed out better since I used to drink very little fluid compared to the avg. person.

Good luck with getting your symptoms under control.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

This started happening to me years ago, but the symptoms would come and go.
I could go for a month and feel no pressure, then I would have an attack, sometimes sending me to the ER in the middle of the night. Doctors where of NO help, as there was no infection found.
FINALLY, after much research on my part, I found my problem.
My bladder from time to time would get too acidic. Some foods, I found, create high acid in the bladder, so I now try and eat and drink food that raise my bladder PH and make it more alkaline.
Google PH/food.
I sip a small amount of lemon juice (it turn alkaline in the body) during the day and have not had any more problems. IMHO, I think the protective lining in the bladder becomes thin with time and won't any longer allow the high acid foods.
Hope this helps someone.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
(female)

phlebotomy09 HB User

I had your problem they called I C bladder, and I think what will help you is marshmallow root tea, with high Ailklin water .. start off with that i can eat what I want now and drink... Hope this helps

Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I was diagnosed with IC and currently take medication for it. Before jumping to the conclusion of I.C. you need a complete workup. The only way to diagnose is a cystoscopy with hydroextension, even that is not totally conclusive.

I just had an ovary with a cyst removed. Prior to surgery the gyno told me that the cyst can release prostaglandins that cause inflammation and that could be contributing to a lot of my bladder symptoms. Since my operation my bladder has really settled down. For now I am just keeping my fingers crossed as I.C. can go into remission for periods of time so I cannot be absolutely sure that the cyst removal is the reason for my improvement.

The fibroids could certainly be responsible for your symptoms particularly if they have grown some. The constant pressure on your bladder could be causing irritation. As it is Detrol is one of the drugs given for I.C. but there is no cure for I.C. and all that you can do is try to control the symptoms. Hopefully you do not have I.C.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
(female)

Kosher Cat HB User

I've been having the same problem for two weeks now. I had sharp pains in my vagina and rectum, and now I have a pressure feeling in my bladder whenever I pass urine or lay down on my stomach. I've had three urine tests done and two swabs, and all the results have come back normal. After passing urine I have a pressure feeling in my bladder for a little while afterwords and walking sometimes triggers the feeling of pressure. I have a scheduled ultrasound for next week. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and an insulin resistant pancreas a couple of years ago, and have never had any health problems as a result of it. Why now? I am not taking any meds for these conditions, either. I am 21 years old and have had irregular periods my entire life. Any help? I need answers. My doctor is finding me a nuisance and has no answers. I'm extremely worried.

Last edited by Kosher Cat; 11-22-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #10
(female)

kateken HB User

I have the same problem, i am sick of tests coming out negative I feel as though this has taken over my life, with the irritation of it, i feel like i cant have a normal life with my children nor my hubby! I am 30 and ready to lose my mind, I was up all night lastnight and thought i would go on the computer to see if im alone and just crazy or if people actually have this!!! anyways keep me updated thanks kate

Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I go to the washroom 8 to 10 times a night. I guess I have just gotten use to it as it has become my norm. Since my bladder surgery and ovarian cyst removal I can at least go 40 minutes without needing a washroom. Prior to that a 40 minute drive was a nightmare and I use to wear pads but the urethra pain was so bad that unless I fully relieved myself it wouldn't stop.

Closed Thread