It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

nosleep09 HB User
haveing urethroplasty in sept any advice/tips to prepair fo it

hi, went into renal failure may 09 due to ureteral oblitheration from motorbike crash aug 08. so i have a supra pubic catheter. im awaiting a urethroplasty.

i have been colonized by bactieria and in constant pain, i also have other problems with spine and other pain im on fentanyl 75mg and also oxynorm for breaktrough pain. evan on this meds i still experienc cronic pain.

when my bladder spasms it trys to send urine trough my urethera but it is blocked so the pain is realy bad all that comes out is goo and blood seeping from it. this happens alot troughout the day so im paceing round the house in frount of my kids in pain.

also when i have to have a bowel motion it brings me to tears as the anal spincter and the uretheral spincter work in tandem and tries to push urine trough urethera causing so much pain.

supra pubic catheter blocked and i had to go to A&E and have it ripped out without anastetic again pain on a scale of 10/10 so that replaced and now its slowing down flow again.

any help would be great
cheers
warren

Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
(male)

shaqkillz451 HB User
Re: haveing urethroplasty in sept any advice/tips to prepair fo it

Hey warren,

sorry to hear about your problem, I can't really offer you any advice on how to prepare for the urethroplasty itself, but I do understand your stress and anxiety regarding the procedure since I'm also undergoing the procedure this december.

I'm curious why they are waiting so long to do the urethroplasty since you've had the complete urethral blockage since may? Is it an issue of scheduling on the surgeon's part? where are you having it done(you don't have to answer this)?

I've had a stricture since I was young and have looked at a lot of the scientific literature regarding the procedure. To pacify your nerves somewhat, there is a high success rate with the procedure (also depends upon how strictured the urethra is..?) and post surgical complications (erectile dysfunction, dribbling, pain) do exist but for the most part resolve over time. Also, I've talked to 2 patients directly who've had the procedure and they've offered invaluable advice. The gist of what they say is that the procedure has been immensely helpful, and they now feel much better, their flow rate is great and they have no complications/side effects as a result of the procedure. I've been relieved talking to them and I hope you'll also feel a bit relieved after reading this.

Let me know if you have any other questions.....also I would really appreciate if you could write about your surgery and post surgery experience in sept after you have your surgery (which I'm confident will be very successful). I'll be lurking around healthboards until at least december.

All the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
(male)

nosleep09 HB User

no problem i will let you know how i get on in surgery. as far as i know im being kept in for 2 weeks all going well. so when i get back home ill post here and share me experiance.
all the best

Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
(male)

tucsonon HB User

How did this work out for you? I am a week into my recovery after a 1 stage urethoplasty. I also have the same questions as you. My main concern right now is the swelling. I am still swollen, scrotum and base of penis, not overly swollen but swollen. I was operated last Tuesday so I am exactly seven days into it. My only other problems is erections at night I cant control them even with the amy nitrate. So I wake up with blood from broken scabs etc. I am healing and my penis does not look really red or anything like that but it is pretty ugly as they used the skin from the penis for the graft and so I have stitches on the sides and underneath from the incisions. And lastly the blood and scab give off a slightly foul odor after I shower which Im guessing is because of the blood and what not. I am going for a follow up tomorrow so I will ask all of the questions over. Lastly yellowish discharge from around catheder? I was told this is normal and to increase my fluid intake. Thanks

Closed Thread