It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

TexasJack HB User
Urethral Stricture Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery

I have Urethral Stricture a few centimters within my penis as well as at the meatus. They want me to go through Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery next month. The doctor says that I can go back to work about 10 days after the first stage and work while my grafts heal for the 6 months. I need to know what the truth is out there from the people who have gone through this procedure.

What is the pain level during the healing period?
How fatiqued are you and for how long?
How combersome is the bag while on the cath.
Will I need to wear sweat pants, loose clothing, during the 6 months plus of recover before stage 2 surgery?
Recovery time after stage 2 surgery before I can go back to work?

I need to get back to work as soon as possible after stage 1 and stage 2.

Jack

Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
(male)

ennio HB User
Re: Urethral Stricture Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery

Jack, this thread:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=502067&highlight=mucosa +graft

should have all the information you need from the patient's perspective.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
(male)

sj82 HB User

Hi Jack

I am nearly 12 months on from my stage 2 surgery, I developed a fistula which means I have a second stream of urine coming out and I should be getting this fixed soon.

The buccal graft surgery was a miracle for me, I have tried to answer you questions but feel free to ask anything else..

What is the pain level during the healing period?

When I woke up, the buccal patch site was completely numb, I could touch it with my tounge but I couldn't feel anything! It rapidly heals and did not cause me any trouble. As for the graft site, again this was no trouble.

How fatiqued are you and for how long?

I was not fatiqued really, it just gets tiresome having to wait a few weeks before you can get back to your normal life.

How combersome is the bag while on the cath.

If you keep the tube taped to your abdomen then the bag cannot pull on the tube as its nice and secure.

Will I need to wear sweat pants, loose clothing, during the 6 months plus of recover before stage 2 surgery?

No you can wear normal clothing after the catheter is removed, I did not notice any difference between stage 1 - 2.

Recovery time after stage 2 surgery before I can go back to work?

Stage 2 needs time to heal, so its important you don't move around too much following the surgery. I took 5 weeks but only because I developed a fistula and they wanted to wait an extra couple of weeks to see if it healed over.

The Following User Says Thank You to sj82 For This Useful Post:
demetri66 (11-03-2012)
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
(male)

nosleep09 HB User

hi hope you dont mind me hijacking this tread but i had posted this and got no answer a while ago. below is the tread i posted

hi, went into renal failure may 09 due to ureteral oblitheration from motorbike crash aug 08. so i have a supra pubic catheter. im awaiting a urethroplasty.

i have been colonized by bactieria and in constant pain, i also have other problems with spine and other pain im on fentanyl 75mg and also oxynorm for breaktrough pain. evan on this meds i still experienc cronic pain.

when my bladder spasms it trys to send urine trough my urethera but it is blocked so the pain is realy bad all that comes out is goo and blood seeping from it. this happens alot troughout the day so im paceing round the house in frount of my kids in pain.

also when i have to have a bowel motion it brings me to tears as the anal spincter and the uretheral spincter work in tandem and tries to push urine trough urethera causing so much pain.

supra pubic catheter blocked and i had to go to A&E and have it ripped out without anastetic again pain on a scale of 10/10 so that replaced and now its slowing down flow again.

any help would be great
cheers
warren

Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

ennio HB User

Your post is hard to understand with the spelling errors and spotty punctuation. What kind of information are you looking for?

Last edited by ennio; 07-29-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
(male)

nosleep09 HB User

Your post is hard to understand with the spelling errors and spotty punctuation. What kind of information are you looking for?

if that was ment for me , and i think it was then i wouldnt be interested in anything you have to say. i came on here looking for someone to relate to and all i get is some one picking up on spelling and spotty punctuation.

what exactly is spotty punctuation. you know before i had this head injury i didnt have the problems you kindly pointed out.

but hay im happy your ok
live and let live thats what i say

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
(male)

TexasJack HB User

I thank all of you for the information you have given me. It seems that you have tried other procedures which have failed and ended up where I'm at today.

I have had to have three surgeries; ie two meatus to open up the opening of my penis and circumcision due to progressive BXO. All my surgeries were done at military hospitals because I'm retired Air Force. The last surgery was about five years ago and when the military doctor performed the meatus to open up the tip of my penis he stuck a rod up my urethra to check for further restrictions. He found a further restriction about two to three cm from the opening but failed to tell me about it. The only reason I have found out was my current civilian doctor asked for and received the records from the military for my past surgeries. If the military had used a more aggressive approach to correcting my BXO I would have long since been healed and not having the problems of today.

I have an appointment with the Oral Doctor on the 6th of August and will schedule my hospital stay and surgery as quickly as possible after it.\

I hope there wasn't any spelling mistakes in this post.

Texas Jack

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
(male)

TexasJack HB User

NoSleep09,
I'm sorry that no one has tried to answer your questions or at least feel for your pain that you suffer. If I can be of help let me know.
Texas Jack

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
(male)

jamespear HB User

Hi TexasJack,

I have just gone through a two stage Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery to fix a stricture at my meatus but which also extended 2cm inside.

I wont go into all the details of the surgery at this point, although I can do later. Suffice to say it is a very long journey. I had to have 3 surgeries in the end.

I dont want to put you off this but I think its important to ensure your expectations for the outcome are in line with the probable reality. I say this because before I had this surgery I asked my surgeon specifically - What will this look like when it is complete? The answer I was given was it will look the same because the repair is on the inside.

Obviously I found this to be reassuring and it was the belief in this outcome and being able to go to the toilet normally again that drove me on through what is a very difficult surgery. I think the surgeons kinda understate the turmoil involved.

Unfortunately for me despite the fact that after each surgery I was told everything was OK, after the final dressing was taken off after the last surgery when I got home it began to dawn on me that the outcome initially described was far from the reality of the situation.

To start with this is not entirely internal at all and now about 40% of the end of my penis is actually the grafted tissue.

In and of itself this may not be so bad. What makes this worse is this grafted tissue has continually formed a kinda scab which then takes weeks before finally after taking a long long shower it can come off. I asked a surgeon what this was and his reply was that it was because of where this tissue made contact with my underwear. This made sense as it was this area where the scabs where forming and deeper inside they did not form. I then did not worry about this assuming when this was internal again it would not occur.

Now I find out though this tissue will not be entirely internal. When I complained to a nurse that now I will have these scabs forming for the rest of my life she said she had never seen this before and didn't beleive that would be the case once they had come off. Suffice to say they have come off and are now reforming again so I can only assume this will now continue forever.

But this is not the entire issue either. Also they have not made an opening in the normal place which is just under the tip of the penis. Instead they have made an opening right at the edge where the bulbus region meets the skin. Where the graft tissue has been formed into the new end of my penis the shape is like nothing I have seen, and certainly nothing like it was previously.

Altogether I have been left feeling mutilated and feel a deep disgust at the sight of myself. Since the final dressing was removed I have not been able to have an erection - I cannot feel aroused when I think of this.

My wife is eager to have another child but I cant imagine putting this inside her. The scabs that form are disgusting and their is no reason why these could not come off inside her. How could I ever expose her to that. I now feel so extremely depressed I really struggle to pull myself together for the good of my son and wife.

When I describe how I feel to the nurse I am told to give it six weeks(it's now just over 2 weeks since surgery) and if I still feel the same speak to the surgeon.

The surgeon does not seem to show any interest whatsoever in how I feel about the outcome of this despite the fact that it is so different to what was described. They barely give you the time of day once they've had their fun with their knives it seems.

I am sorry if I sound cynical but I think now I really am when it comes to Surgeons. They seem to be completely detached from the impact what they do has on people and they really dont seem to care. I dont know if he even remembers what he described the outcome would look like. He never informed me anything had changed. He has not asked me how I feel about the fact I am now mutilated.

I think it is important that you discuss this at length with your surgeon and make sure he is giving you a realistic idea of the outcome. Do not trust them to be upfront with reality and expect them to lie. Again I am sorry if this sounds very cynical but this is my experience.

I am only 29 and now feel deep despair and like my sex life at least is now over. I went through a year with 3 surgery's and immense pain at points but this all seemed worthwhile to achieve the outcome that was described.

In the end though - this was not the case and it was left for me to discover this myself.

I feel like crying often but I have to at least give the appearance of being OK for my wife and son's sake.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
(male)

TexasJack HB User
Thumbs up Re: Urethral Stricture Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery

Jamespear,
Thanks for the information you have provided me.

I'm really sorry that your surgeries have left you in such a state of dismay.
I can only hope that when you are completely healed things look better than they do now. I do believe that when we have a loving wife and companion to share our sorrows with that we find that things can be overcome and not look so bad. You should confide in her about your feelings about the surgery because only through your communication can you feel better about it and also give her a chance to relate to what your going through and help her to understand what your needs are at this moment.

I'm 50 years old and have been married to my current wife for 19 years and through active communication, sharing our deepest feelings, and even crying and praying together have we been able to keep our marriage on track. My wife has become disabled since we've been married and all these things help me to understand what she goes thorugh on a daily basis. It also helps her to understand what I'm now going through with my future surgery. You should have seen the both of us when we recently had to have our dog of 18 plus years put to sleep. We both cried like we had lost our child. I truely believe if we didn't share as much as we do with each other we would never be able to get past all the trials and tribulations that happen on this earth. I've taught my son's that there is a time for a man to be macho and times that he needs to be able to open up to his spouse and even let his emotions flow. A good wife will charish her husband for being able to do this and won't think he is less of a man for it.

When I went through my circumcision and last meatus surgery the Air Force doctor that performed the surgery caused complications which affected me for months. He didn't close up the stitches tight enough where my remaining fore skin met my penis and they came loose. I could actually place my finger between the fore skin and my penis up inside myself. My penis and testicals swole up to several times their normal size and turned more black than blue. My wife joked that I was probably one of the only white men who knew what it was like to have a black penis. The swelling went done after a few weeks but the discoloration lasted for months. I can still get an erection but when I ejaculate I no longer get the forceful muscle spasms that I once achieved. It's weak spasms and much less fulfilling. I'm kinda happy my wife who is now 56 is no longer is interested in sex because I don't have to perform to achieve these results.

I'm just waiting now for the surgery to be scheduled. It will probably happen in September. Whatever the results it's got to be better that the painful urinations that I'm currently feeling. I did however find that after three glasses of wine I no longer feel the pain.

Let me know how things are going with you and I'll do the same. I hope that what you and I contribute to this message board helps others in the long run.
TexasJack

Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
(male)

SoCal26 HB User

I just posted some history and recent results on another thread:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=674329&highlight=buccal

Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
(male)

jvc HB User

Gentlemen thanks for the info. I just had my first stage done 6 weeks agoo. (Buccal mucosa graft) Not very happy with the results.My DR never explained to me that this was a 9 to 12 month procedure. DR ZINMAN, Just wanted to vent. Also how are you guys that had the 2cnd stage done healing. Is everything back to normal.

Thanks JVC

Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
(male)

TexasJack HB User

I had my procedure, Buccal mucosa grafts in two places, done the beginning of October. They pulled grafts from inside both checks. I believe the pain from the graft removals was so much more intense than than the surgery on my penis and urinary track. I had a restriction about the first inch from the head inward and also a few inchs further up but not apart of the penis urinary track. I'm told this was unusual because people with BXO usually start at the tip and start closing off from there inward. I'm healing well and the outside according to my doctor is a masterpiece of surgery restoring me to the way I looked before BXO. The only problem that I have with the way things function is that I can't stand up to urinate because I tend to drip from the bottom of the opening while urinating and sometimes get a side spray effect. The doctor keeps assuring me that as I heal this will get better. The other thing is that I have to cathorize myself almost daily eight inches up my urinary track to keep things flowing normally while I continue to heal. If I miss two days without cathorization I will end up with blood spotting from my tearing the graphes back open. I'm suppose to keep up the cathorization until my next appointment around March. I hope at some point I'll be healed enough to discontinue the cathorization because its a real pain to keep it up on a daily basis. I still have confidence in my doctor and his staff. I lucked out to get a great doctor from the start. I hope my experiences help someone out.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
(male)

jvc HB User

TexasJack thanks for the reply. Just got back from my DR for my checkup. DR says graft looks very good and is healing nicely. I Do have a couple ?s for you guys. It's been 6 weeks from my first surgery.I told the DR today when I do get an erection it is bent very very badly. He said this has to do with the graft and scar tissue and will get better with time.Any one else have this problem.Nice to talk with someone who's been threw this.

Thancs JVC

Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
(male)

SoCal26 HB User

I had my stage one graft in late October. I agree that the mouth is a lot more painful than the penis.

I felt pain the first few weeks when I would get an overnight erection. Sometimes I would wake up and have to sit upright to "shrink" the penis a bit until the erection subsided. The Dr. indicated that this was normal and was actually good to prevent scar tissue from building up.

At about 2.5 months post-surgery I am still a little bit tender and am almost ready to resume sex. The erection pain is gone. Never had any curvature issues.

Of course after stage 1 the bottom of the penis looks like hell (cosmetically) but the extra redness is slowly subsiding on the grafted tissue. I guess I'm a little less traumatized because this is due to failed previous surgeries from being born with hypospadeus. If I had an injury later in life I would probably be really upset, but I've never had a normal penis anyway (*sigh*) and I know that once stage 2 is done I will probably look better than the job that was done way back in the early '60's!

My issue is that my flow is still pretty slow. There is no stricture where the surgery was done, so I may have a prostate issue. My Dr. also suggested that because of many years of restriction, my bladder may have gotten used to a low flow and the way the muscles contract may no longer produce enough force to keep the flow higher.

It does take quite a while to heal. Don't assume that after 3 or 6 weeks this is the way it is going to be. I had some scabbing for quite a while and that is now pretty much gone.

As far as the mouth, it is still tight on the left side and my smile is not completely symmetrical. That is actually a bit concerning as well, but it does seem to still be improving. My Dr. stitched in the mouth, but after the surgery I found a study on the internet that suggests pain is actually less with no stitching. I also wonder if the stitching creates more tightening than without. Any others had it done with no stitching of the graft area?

Reply Reply