It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

shonks5 HB User
blood and leukocytes but no growth on Urinalysis

I had a dipstick test done checking for uti. Doctor said it showed some blood and leukocytes, so he gave me antibiotic and told me to call today for urinalysis results. The report was no growth. So I asked the women on the other end of the phone who was giving me the result what that meant. She couldn't answer the question, and told me to finish all of my antibiotic because I do have a uti. I thought no growth meant no uti. I am so worried now because it doesn't sound like a uti to me. What other things could cause blood and leukocytes on the dip test but no growth on the urinalysis? I'm am still having pain. This is something that comes and goes, and am really tired of it all. Not sure where I should turn now! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shonks 5

Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

walflower2 HB User
Re: blood and leukocytes but no growth on Urinalysis

I wish that I had an answer for you but I have the same problem. I always have blood in my urine and they have no explanation. If I go in to get checked for a uti, the dipstick always lights up and they tell me that I have one. But then when it is cultured there is never (or rarely) any growth. hope you get better answers than I have

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonks5 View Post
I am so worried now because it doesn't sound like a uti to me. What other things could cause blood and leukocytes on the dip test but no growth on the urinalysis?
Why should a uti cause blood to appear? That might be a good question to ask your doctor. The only thing I can think of at this moment is that you might have a low level of vitamin K2. A low level of vitamin K2 allows for easy bleeding. And there might be other contributing factors such as your blood being too thin from taking aspirin, fish oil, vitamin E etc...

Vitamin K2 comes from (or is made) mainly by "good" bacteria in your digestive system. So, if you are taking antibiotics, you are killing off the bacteria (good and bad) in your digestive system. Even though you can still get vitamin K from your diet, you likely would be on the low side.

There's K1, K2 and K3. As far as I can tell, K1 comes from food, K2 is made by the bacteria in your digestive system, and K3 is synthetic. I believe that K2 can also be gotten from certain cheeses that are made by fermenting. Kifer and Natto contain K2.

One last thing: Your body doesn't store vitamin K.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-26-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: puntuation

Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

You would think the presence of leukocytes would indicate infection. Have you spoken to your Doctor?
I always have blood in my urine but don't have UTI's. My GP sent me to a Urologist who performed a cystoscopy to rule out anything nasty. Turns out some people just have blood in the urine, he gave me some explaination but I don't think they really know why. The important thing is to rule out anything nasty going on in the kidneys or bladder. I would suggest you both see a Urologist if your GP can't give you a reason. Better safe than sorry.

Closed Thread