It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

lalaloo HB User
Questions about 4mm kidney stone

My question is this...is it possible to pass a stone of that size (4mm) without knowing it? I know that all things are possible but I guess I am looking to see if anyone has had that experience. Also, once it passes does the pain go away? Or does it linger at all? If so how long? My pain has changed since the initial attack and it sometimes goes away completely but comes back.

DETAILED HISTORY FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS MORE INFO
A week ago I went to the emergency room in excruciating pain. I have both interstitial cystitis and endometriosis, both of which are under control. I was sitting at my desk and felt like someone kicked me in the back with steel-tow boots. Seconds later I vomited. I was freaked out and distressed because I thought that it was the endometriosis even though I had not had any problems with it for years and it has never caused me pain suddenly like that. Also, it was much worse than it had ever been.

I went to the ER and was given a gyn work-up...they tested for twisted ovary, tubal pregnancy, etc. All negative. The nurse had mentioned that my urine was a bit suspect (a bit of blood and extra white blood cells) but I figured that it could very well be the IC causing those abnormalities. I started to think maybe I had a very severe kidney infection but nothing indicated that I had an infection massive enough to cause such intense and sudden pain.

The doc began to suspect it was my appendix, especially since the location of the pain started to shift. By this time I was just so freaked out. The meds they were giving were not helping a lot and I had been there for hours. I did the CT scan with dye (oh that was fun...the IV they had in me for meds was too small for the dye so I was poked 8 more times before they got a suitable line in). It finally came back and he said I had a kidney stone right at the place where the ureter and the bladder meet. I have read that it is quite common for them to get stuck there. He said it was about 4 mm. He sent me home with flomax and pain meds.

For the first few days the pain was pretty bad, but nothing compared to that night. Things seem to have changed though. I don't know if it is because I am used to it or what but sometimes there is no pain at all but then it comes back. I have been using the strainer and there has been a bit of blood but nothing solid. I admit that I have probably skipped the strainer a couple of times.

Last edited by lalaloo; 09-14-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread