It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
(female)

Concerned_4_me HB User
On and off cystitis symptoms.. no bacteria present

Hello, feels like the millionth time I've posted some sort of body complaint lol, but this one feels very very real.

Ever since I was quite small I've had problems with UTI's. Since being about 7 I've had urinary tract infections a lot, it's hard to remember being a long time ago but I'd say at least yearly.
As far as I now, I responded to the antibiotics, but they always came back eventually; I'm obviously prone. Got my kidney checked for a possible kink that might be causing bacteria to get trapped > cystitis, but came back negative, all they found was chronic constipation. Anyway, this was when I was like 9 or something.

I am now 19. Recently I've been getting cystitis even more frequently than I used to, much more than once a year. About three weeks ago now, I got a bout of what I thought was cystitis, and I still have it. However.. from my latest test, it turns out this, in fact, is not a bacterial problem. I had my urine culture done, came back negative, but the symptoms are almost EXACTLY identical to what I used to get back when I was younger.

I'd say the only difference is, this thing is noticeably more painful when the bladder is full, usually if i've gone to bed and had something to drink and I wake up in the middle of the night or early morning without emptying the bladder beforehand, is when it's bad. But then often when I urinate the pain goes away, or at least dulls. With this, I don't *usually* experience the neverending frequent pressure that you get with typical cystitis, it mostly sorts itself out with urination, (but not always).

I was baffled obviously so I looked this up over the internet and this painful bladder syndrome or interstitial cystitis condition sounded like a possible explanation. I was wondering if with my medical history of chronic bacterial cystitis, this could have led to the damaged lining of the bladder and the resultant interstitial cystitis/painful bladder?
Then I wondered, maybe I have had IC all along, and the problem was never bacterial, but I'm now getting worse and more frequent flare ups?
OR is it possible I had a genuine urine infection at the very start of this 3 week (almost a month now) flare-up which subsided but brought out possible painful bladder symptoms?

I have noticed that the pain seems to flare up around my period.

I'm very confused and I don't like not knowing what's going on especially down there so sorry if I've gone on a bit. I plan on seeing my doctor on friday.

Thank you for reading, and any input is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: On and off cystitis symptoms.. no bacteria present

Chronic urinary tract infections can cause chronic bladder inflammation that does not clear up just because the infection goes away. With interstitial cystitis, UTI's will likely not be present, however not impossible but if the UTI's are frequent - then it's likely the issue. However either condition can cause the same problem (chronic inflammation). It's just one is bacterial caused and one isn't.

Temporary burning that clears up quickly can be due to chronic inflammation or irritative substances, for me things like getting too hot, apple juice, alcohol, a soapy bath, are just a few things that causes flare ups.

Closed Thread