It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
(male)

jacksonreid HB User
Urethral Stricture

About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture after noticing that I needed to pee frequently with low volume and poor flow. This could have been happening for up to 2 years before.

The stricture was located at the urethral sphincter and so could not be operated on. I was told to self-catheterise (SC) to manage the stricture - first every day, then every week, every month and so on until I was doing it every 6 months.

In the last year I noticed that I was starting to pee frequently again with intermittent poor flow. I increased the regularity of the SC to cope with the problem but it hasn't helped.

Since about a year before my diagnosis my hair had started to thin and my hands and feet were much colder than normal. I asked my GP about thyroid problems but he said I was clear. There is no history of baldness in either my mum or dads family and I want to know whether something medical is causing the loss rather than hereditary.

Could it be something to do with the stricture or a prostate problem? Or am I just an unlucky sap who happens to be going bald despite no family history at the same time as having trouble downstairs.

I should add that I started suffering from erectile dysfunction in the year before the diagnosis - probably about 60% success rate. This has got worse now and I generally have a low libido, and even when I am aroused it is difficult to maintain an erection.

I can't get time off work to have another appointment with my GP so in the meantime can anyone help?

Last edited by jacksonreid; 01-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Urethral Stricture

You mentioned cold hands, cold feet and erectile dysfunction. I believe these three symptoms are associated with poor blood circulation. Are you overweight? Do you have diabetes and/or coronary artery disease?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

jacksonreid HB User

I'm not overweight and I have never been diagnosed with any of the other conditions. Time to see the urologist again I suppose...

Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

jacksonreid,

I can't imagine exactly how bad it is but I wonder if it could somehow be diet related. For example, if I eat grapefruit or grapefruit juice, cranberries or cranberry juice, or certain other items, I gradually get urinary restriction. If I eliminate those items, I can get back to normal. I believe I have noticed it happening with tangerines too and possibly vinegar. It might be somewhat different for others. I've been told that spices can cause a problem too.

Also there are many items that cause frequent urination, like waterrmelon, cantalope, tea and coffee. I have eliminated all of the above and I don't really miss any of it. And I'm pretty much back to normal. It's just too bad that it took me so long to figure it all out.

It could be that your problem is different but it wouldn't hurt to examine your diet and see if maybe some changes might help.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-22-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: word change

Closed Thread