It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

katee44 HB User
UTI but Negative Test

Is it possible to have a UTI but the urine test comes back negative? I've heard that its possible but has anyone had this happen to them? I was told in the doctors office that I had a UTI put on Macrobid, but when they sent my urine to the lab come to find out it was negative. I felt better on the antibiotics but my symptoms have returned. I wonder it its a small infection that's being overlooked. Can anyone relate?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
(female)

sandra989 HB User
Re: UTI but Negative Test

Unfortunately, I can relate. I'm 23 and have been having UTI's basically ever since I became sexually active (about 5 years or so now). The first time I had one, the urine came back from the lab with a negative test result, but my doctor put me on bactrim anyway to treat it (since I had already tested negative for all STDs, she figured that it must be a UTI). It worked great... but the symptoms came back 5 days after I stopped the antibiotics. So either the course wasn't strong enough/long enough, or not all the basteria were responsive to that particular drug. She took another urine sample and THIS TIME it came back positive. Very very positive. So I went on a 7 day course of a different antiobiotics and was infection free for 4 months or so.

The negative tests have been a pattern for me. For some reason infections that HURT HURT HURT don't tend to show up in lab tests until I've had a full blown infection for a week or two, even though I have all the symptoms: frequent need to pee, burning when I go, cloudy urine, blood in urine, low-grade fever... you name it, I get it.

So they're definitely possible!! Even when the infection is bad!

I'm actually in the midst of an infection right now, that one again tested negative... yesterday. Problem is, my doctor is very anti-medication unless you absolutely need it (which I agree with too.. but COME ON, UTI's are definitely a case where they're needed!) so wants me to come back in a few days for another test.

Last time she did this, I went into a walk-in clinic and got a prescription at 4 in the morning because I couldn't sleep the burning was so bad.

I may have to do that again this time.

Hope you managed to figure everything out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
(female)

bcswimmergal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katee44 View Post
Is it possible to have a UTI but the urine test comes back negative? I've heard that its possible but has anyone had this happen to them? I was told in the doctors office that I had a UTI put on Macrobid, but when they sent my urine to the lab come to find out it was negative. I felt better on the antibiotics but my symptoms have returned. I wonder it its a small infection that's being overlooked. Can anyone relate?
I had a UTI for 3 years went to 4 different doctors and the tests all came back negative. It wasn't until I went to the ER severely sick that it came back positive.

Last edited by bcswimmergal; 05-30-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User

I also feel like I have a UTI but my test always comes back negative. The dr. put me on Cipro until the Urine culture came back. I started to feel better by the 3rd day. The result came back negative so the doctor did not want to further my cipro. I started to feel the urgencey come back again. Why can't the dr. just belive us and give us the rest of the script.

Closed Thread