It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

valentino2003 HB User
Stubborn UTI - Too many antibiotics?

I am going out of my mind with an UTI that will not go away for over 1 month!

I always seem to have had them chronically, but not for years and this one seems to be the most painful and most stubborn one I have ever had. I have been though 3 rounds of antibiotics and wondering if I am becoming resistant? Please see below and any advice would be helpful.

History:
I am a 38 year old female.
- Jan 21 Surgery in reproductive area, antibiotics following (augmentin) for 7 days for post-surgery
- March 1 Severe UTI starts
- March 2, Start Augmentin again for 7 days. UTI gets better, worse, better, worse while on and off meds, never goes away
- March 22 Develop Kidney infection. Starts with a day of vomiting then high fever and pain (but UTI feels mild at this point)
- March 23 Start round of Cipro for 5 days, second day of cipro UTI gets worse and steadily everyday is downhill.
- March 29 (today) Worse day of UTI since day 1!!! The Antibiotics made the UTI much worse!

This is the point I am at now. I just finished my last day of antibiotics and the UTI is horrific. I can't sit still, it is hard to sit down, concentrate, write this. I am worried what tomorrow will feel like. Am I taking too many antibiotics? Any recommendations?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User
Re: Stubborn UTI - Too many antibiotics?

Yes..your body can become immune to antibiotics if they are taken too regular.
Have the docs sent your urine for a urine culture and sensitivity....a test that growns it for several days to identify the bacteria?
If not, request that they do. This test will tell the docs which medicine will work and if your resistant to it than they will try the next on the list.
I know this from personal experience. Ive gotten to the point at time that Ive had to have iv injections to rid my infections
Good Luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
(female)

LittleMizzBunny HB User
Re: Stubborn UTI - Too many antibiotics?

Oh hun, trust me, I know exactly what you're going through. T__T

I've had recurring UTI's since I was four years old, taken every antibiotic out there, and in the last week alone, have had at least three-four UTI's. I'm STILL taking antibiotics, but its not making a dent at all, and the urine that's trapped in my bladder refuses to come out.

It's likely you are, unfortunately. Taking them too regularly makes your body immune to them. T_T You might have to have IV rounds, like I probably will soon.. otherwise, the infection will just stay no matter what, and you don't want any damage to your bladder wall/kidneys. Have you had any damage that you know of?

You need to go back to the ER for sure. Tell them that the infection's gotten worse, and you've gone through those antibiotics. Demand tests, (you'll want to make sure there's no damage, and the reason you're getting infections in the first place..) and the IV treatment. Maybe it'll have a higher chance of working once it gets into your blood stream directly.

-virtual hug- UTI's are so uncomfortable, so painful. I'm sorry you're having one this bad. I'm the same exact position as I write this. I wouldn't want to wish it on anyone...

The only other thing I can recommend is plenty of water, rest if you can, and just definitely go back. I really hope you feel better.

Closed Thread