It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
(male)

midi HB User
Unhappy Self Cath/Turp Question - HELP!

I have been freaking out all weekend & don't know what to do & need some advice.

I have been self-cathing since April 19th due to a very enlarged prostate. Have done several different anti-biotics (Cipro, Macrobid, Levaquin & now Cipro again) but nothing seems to be helping.

A few times this weekend benn getting some small clots and blood in urine but others times it's yellow & clear. Called Dr & he said it should be OK, does not think I need to go to E/R but come in & see him this week.

My symptoms started in March but got way worse in April and now May has been really bad with a lot of pain & suffering from the enlargement.

I had a cysto done on April 19th and he said there was no strictures & the bladder seemed pretty normal - next step is a biopsy & he said I was probably headed for a turp unless the biospy comes back positive.

My last DRE on May 5th he said he could not feel any lumps but one side was more enlarged than the other. My PSA in March was 17.4 which he said was high but was probably due to the infection. He wants to re-test after the infection goes down if that's what it is.

I really just want to the biospy & trup done asap so I can get on with my life and not have to self-cath anymore - I have been unable to work much due to the pain & to top things off I had to go to the Urgent care last Friday nite due to a small inguinal hernia, which might have been from straining during a bowel movement as this has even affected the rectal area as well.

I have been feeling really hopeless lately & almost feel like I am slowly dying from this - my family keeps saying stick it out but I'm not very good at dealing with pain & health issues. I am a white male, 55 & have always taken good care by eating and exercising healthy.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to be able to deal with this? I heard on another thread here that Valium might help with the anixety as I have had trouble sleeping due to all the bad thoughts running through my mind.

Any help at all would be appreciated - thanks!

Last edited by midi; 05-09-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: Self Cath/Turp Question - HELP!

The clots are probably from irritation from the straight cath. I don't think it's an infection because you are on antibiotics, but you could always ask for a UA.

You should have your doctor order something for bowel management. You don't need anymore problems from straining with bowel movements.

As far as anxiety, you might have your doctor order xanax, but I think you're right with all the problems you're experiencing you should follow up with your urologist and get your TURP scheduled.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
(male)

midi HB User

Yes - I think I am headed for Turp - can I do it without getting a biopsy?

What do you mean by a UA?

Also - do you think this will help my problems at all?

I have read on here that some people experience even more issues after the Turp, but my neighbor had one and he said it solved all his issues...

Last edited by midi; 05-09-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

Urinalysis is a "UA", urine lab test to check for a urinary tract infection.

I think you sound pretty miserable right now. Yes, a TURP or any surgery has it's risks, but generally it improves your situation.

You could also ask if you can have a foley catheter instead of doing self catheterizations several times a day. You can wear a leg bag during the day and use an overnight bag at night. It would be temporary until you have surgery, but might be more tolerable than self cathing.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
(male)

midi HB User

OK I think they did that Wed and I should get the results by this week.

He has me taking some advil for the pain, could that cause more bleeding?

Old 05-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

Ibuprofen if taken in high doses (Advil) is more likely to cause gastric bleeding than urinary bleeding.

I think the clots are related to the straight cathing. If you're going to continue to straight cath make sure you are using a lot of lubricant on the catheter before inserting. That will make it less likely to irritate the tissues.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
(male)

midi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari526 View Post
Ibuprofen if taken in high doses (Advil) is more likely to cause gastric bleeding than urinary bleeding.

I think the clots are related to the straight cathing. If you're going to continue to straight cath make sure you are using a lot of lubricant on the catheter before inserting. That will make it less likely to irritate the tissues.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
(male)

midi HB User

OK - I have been using KY - maybe I need to use some more - sure hope I can get over this!

Closed Thread