It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
(male)

DarrellW HB User
TURP Post op questions.

Hi all, I'm glad I found this board. Over the past month I was diagnosed with chronic urinary retention (Dr. drained 1300ml by catheter). 4 days later I had a urodynamics study and found my bladder had shrunk back to normal size, they were only able to get 200cc in there before I felt like I had to go, but was unable to void anything.

I had a cystoscopy a week later and he found that I had a tight bladder neck and said the walls of my bladder looked like they should be in an 80 year old man (I'm 41). Apparently this has been a problem the majority of my adult life and since the symptoms progressed so slow I didn't recognize anything significant till around last October. He recommended a TURP be done to get me going as freely as possible.

That was done 4 days ago with laser and I had very little pain afterwards. The majority of the pain came from the humongus catheter they inserted. I went back yesterday for a voiding trial, the nurse was barely able to get 200 cc in and it was feeling quite uncomfortable. Upon trying to void, I did have to strain to get started, but after a brief moment, several drops and then a weak stream did come out. I was able to void around 110cc so the uro let me go home without the cath. He did advise me though that with my history of retention and decreased sensation I would have to void often (I suggested every 2 hrs, to which he agreed) to be sure I wasn't going into retention again.

Came home, voided ok a couple times, one time even had a slightly weak but continuous stream which appeared as if I passed either some tissue or a small scab (I felt the pressure build up then hit the back of the toilet with it, something I've not been able to do in years!)

As the evening went on, I had to strain more and more and could only get a few drops out at a time, it would take nearly 10 minutes to urinate about 1/4 inch into a solo drinking cup. The feeling I needed to urinate would ease off for a few minutes and then be back. Finally early this morning I had to go back to the ER and have a cath put back in. I was getting uncomfortable with all the pressure, they drained around 650cc and I'm now back on my 4th catheter since this mess started.

Reading previous posts it seems like there is a highly variable recovery period with different people. I've also read that "yes and no" it is a common thing for urinary retention to happen after catheter removal. If any of you are willing to share your thoughts or experiences please feel free to reply. As some of you have said, this is about as trying mentally as well as it is physically. Im just worried that my bladder may never function well again and I'll have to rely on self cathing (which is better than indwelling I guess, but still traumatizing)

Please share your thoughts and supports.

Darrell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
(female)

Kooklet HB User
Re: TURP Post op questions.

Darrell, I'm new to these forums and it's been a while since you posted this, so I hope your problems are a thing of the past now.

In any case, your case sounds very much like my dad's. He had this chronic retention which was diagnosed rather late and then he had a TURP. The bladder had weakened too much so the urologist kept the catheter in for 5 weeks until the bladder resumed some amount of decent function. We're still facing issues with chronic prostatitis and foot swellings (don't know where they're coming from and I'm hoping someone here will throw some light)

By now you must have recovered your bladder function with hopefully few hurdles along the way. If you're still watching this forum, it would be nice to hear your experiences.

Best wishes,
Kooklet

Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
(male)

DarrellW HB User

Hi Kook. I am very pleased to say things are going well! I'm "going" probably easier and better than I have since my early 20's. All in all, I think it was successful procedure and would have it done again if needed. I HAVE self-cathed a few times after urinating since my surgery and get "next to nothing" out so my uro said I could discontinue doing that, much to my relief. He thinks, although he said there is no scientific research to back it up, that the more you empty your bladder completely with self-cathing, your bladder muscles get used to being fully contracted rather than stretched, and over time your bladder function "may" improve. I think I got very lucky and everything was caught in time so I didn't suffer any permanent lasting damage to the bladder or kidneys.

I will go back in June for an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys and then after that my uro said I probably will go back on yearly visits if everything is normal. So far my bloodwork has been fine.

I apparently was one of the few that had some post-op swelling for a week or so after the turp procedure, after the removal of the 4th cath a week later everything flowed normally though

Best of luck to your father, I know from experience it is a very "trying" situation for him to be going thru.

Darrell

Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

Kooklet HB User

Hi Darell,
Good to hear from you. What swelling were you referring to? Feet? or internally in the pelvis?
"I apparently was one of the few that had some post-op swelling for a week or so after the turp procedure, after the removal of the 4th cath a week later everything flowed normally though"

Really glad to hear that you're doing so well. Good luck!

Kooklet

Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
(male)

HueyPilot HB User

Hello Darrell.

I just had TURP done at Barrie Ontario nine days ago (July 20, 2011) and there's one issue I'd like to compare my own recovery progress to that of somebody else – specifically with respect to incontinence which many online references and also my Urologist claim to be “temporary”. In quite a few places I have read that most men regain urinary control within six to nine months and I wonder whether that panned out as such for you or for others. In my case, at this very early recovery stage it seems to be stress incontinence, whereby leakage occurs when I cough, sneeze, shout etc but it doesn’t leak otherwise except for a few drops here and there. While I am sleeping, there’s no leakage but I do get up from two to four times per night to void. I realize that one or two of the control valves was probably destroyed during the TURP – but have not yet met with the family doctor or Urologist to read the surgery report – but I am sure hoping and praying that the external sphincter is intact. Related question then is about that sphincter: did you do any Kegel exercises or take medication to strengthen it and was that successful? How much control can one have with just that valve? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am 50 yrs old and otherwise have excellent fitness.

Reply Reply