It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
(male)

stvnhthr HB User
Feels like a UTI, but no infection, what Am I?

I am a forty year old male. I have a constant low level feeling of urgency to urinate. I wake up with lower back kidney region pain. After being up for a while it travels to the front bladder/ureter area and stays for most of the day. It has gone away completely for close to two days, but always comes back. I have been on one ten day course of antibiotics and two different one week course of antibiotics. Nothing makes it better. Iíve taken the over the counter UTI medicine which turns your urine orange-no relief. Iíve seen a GP and a Urologist. All urine tests come back fine, no infection present. Iíve never had a UTI, but this is what it feels like. It seems to get worse when I lay down, and it definitely becomes a problem at night preventing sleep.

Besides the migrating pain-which is dull and more like discomfort than pain, I feel well, no fever.

The urologist said it may be kidney stones but there is no blood in my urine. Prostate is normal and healthy. I exercise frequently and run at least two miles a day, I eat healthy. I donít have medical insurance so I donít fancy going back to the doctors for another expensive visit only to hear, ďWe have no idea, try some different antibiotics.Ē Are there any other conditions which this lines up with? I would like to be able to suggest something for the doctor to look into rather than going in empty handed.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
(male)

stvnhthr HB User
Re: Feels like a UTI, but no infection, what Am I?

I forgot to add I also had the bladder "ultra-sound" like test done, when I urinate I have normal and complete emptying of the bladder. No dribble and no trouble starting or maintaining.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a history of kidney stones and have only had bleeding on 2 different occasions. Have you ever been tested for Interstitial Cystitis? It feels like a UTI, but there is no bladder infection. You could ask your Dr. about that if he hasn't mentioned it. I hope you find out what the problem is and how to get rid of the symptoms.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
(male)

stvnhthr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a history of kidney stones and have only had bleeding on 2 different occasions. Have you ever been tested for Interstitial Cystitis? It feels like a UTI, but there is no bladder infection. You could ask your Dr. about that if he hasn't mentioned it. I hope you find out what the problem is and how to get rid of the symptoms.
Have you had both Kidney Stones and IC? Do they feel similar or different. What test would help diagnose which it is?

Amoxocillan and Tylenol seems to be helping control the majority of the symptoms but they flare up again as soon as I quit taking them, is this more consistent with one problem or the other (kidney stones vs IC)?

Thanks, I don't have any money or medical insurance so I have to save up and request each test individually and pay cash the day of the visit so I want to make sure I'm doing this smart.

Oh also I've had symptoms on and off for over two months now, is that unusual if it is kidney stones?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't have IC, but one of my friends does. Her symptoms are: bladder pain, frequent urination. There's a test where they instill potassium chloride into the bladder. As far as kidney stones go, I have to get an Xray twice a year. My Urologist told me I don't need a CT scan, just a KUB, which is a simple abdominal xray. To me, it sounds like kidney stones, but I'm not a Dr. I feel bad for you not knowing and still suffering.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
(male)

stvnhthr HB User

I just talked to my urologist and he said Interstitial Cystitis does not exist and he will not treat me or test me for it. A bit confused, is this a real condition or not?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
(male)

jkt77 HB User

From reading online IC is a very real medical condition.

I am having a cystoscopy on the 1st of October. My primary health care physician ordered a pelvic/abdominal CT for me in July because I was complaining of mild groin pain. She pretty much did the full physical regimen on me, and I am good to go with the exception of some mild urinary bladder wall thickening that showed up on the CT.

I have since seen three urologists with the first two blowing off my symptoms and scan results by saying "you're young, you're fine." In fact, they were more concerned by the fact that I have yet to knock-up my wife.

The third urologist is taking me much more seriously, or he just wants the quick $$$ by giving me a cystoscopy. I like to think that it is the former, and not the latter. He believes that my urologic workup is not complete, hence the need for the scope.

I, like you, have migrating pain/aches in my groin region. One day it's on my right side. The next day it's on my left. It could also be on the center, almost at the base of my penis. Replace the word "day" with "minutes" and that's pretty much what it's like with me. No rhyme or reason to the pain so far. My urination patterns have been the same since I was a teenager.

I have had the following:
1) Urinalysis x 3 - all OK
2) Testicular Ultrasound - found a hydrocele on my left, epidydimal cyst on my right, other than that A-OK
3) KUB - OK
4) CT of pelvis & abdomen - OK except for mild thickening of urinary bladder wall; clinical correlation should be made for cystitis
5) Complete metabolic panel - OK

Last edited by jkt77; 09-22-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That Dr. isn't very well informed. IC is a very real medical condition. I hope you guys get answers and relief.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
(male)

stvnhthr HB User

He became very defensive and condescending when I mentioned IC, like I had suggested a unicorn had stabbed me in the kidney. I don't think I will go back.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

He probably sounded like that because he doesn't know anything about IC nor how to treat it. That's how Drs. are when they're ignorant. Then they act like the patient is crazy. I've been there done that with many a Dr. and will never have the warm fuzzies from any of them. lol.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I meant I'll never have the warm fuzzies "for" any of them.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
(male)

stvnhthr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkt77 View Post
From reading online IC is a very real medical condition.

I am having a cystoscopy on the 1st of October. My primary health care physician ordered a pelvic/abdominal CT for me in July because I was complaining of mild groin pain. She pretty much did the full physical regimen on me, and I am good to go with the exception of some mild urinary bladder wall thickening that showed up on the CT.

I have since seen three urologists with the first two blowing off my symptoms and scan results by saying "you're young, you're fine." In fact, they were more concerned by the fact that I have yet to knock-up my wife.

The third urologist is taking me much more seriously, or he just wants the quick $$$ by giving me a cystoscopy. I like to think that it is the former, and not the latter. He believes that my urologic workup is not complete, hence the need for the scope.

I, like you, have migrating pain/aches in my groin region. One day it's on my right side. The next day it's on my left. It could also be on the center, almost at the base of my penis. Replace the word "day" with "minutes" and that's pretty much what it's like with me. No rhyme or reason to the pain so far. My urination patterns have been the same since I was a teenager.

I have had the following:
1) Urinalysis x 3 - all OK
2) Testicular Ultrasound - found a hydrocele on my left, epidydimal cyst on my right, other than that A-OK
3) KUB - OK
4) CT of pelvis & abdomen - OK except for mild thickening of urinary bladder wall; clinical correlation should be made for cystitis
5) Complete metabolic panel - OK
I hope you find an answer, it sounds very similar to what I have. Have any drugs helped?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
(male)

Ropes End HB UserRopes End HB User

Before you read this response, I want to stress this point: Don't panic. Chances are you'll both be well again soon, so keep that thought in your head. I say that because I've been told that my condition may be psychological in nature, or perhaps at least magnifying the problem, and the last thing I want to do is inadvertently cause anyone else to go through what I've been going through.

Now that that's out of the way, I've been suffering from similar symptoms for nearly three months now. I've had a day or two where I almost feel normal, but for the most part I've had no relief despite the numerous and varied drugs I've been on all this time. I've a detailed post currently on page two of these boards if you're interested, but suffice it to say, aside from the back ache, my symptoms are similar to yours, with the most nagging in my case being the urge to urinate.

I've seen four urologists now, gone through a whole battery of uncomfortable and costly tests (thank God for insurance), including two cystoscopies, been taking cipro for nearly two months now (knock on wood, no side effects in my case; about to switch to doxy on Monday, though), and been told to see everything from a physical therapist to a psychiatrist (seeing both next week... hooray...).

My primary urologist is very empathetic and has explained to me that IC is a possibility, although both cystos and bladder expansion they did seemed to indicate I was in the clear. Nevertheless, it remains a slim possibility, though he explained to me that it's very rare in men anyway, which may be why your doctor immediately wrote it off.

The next thing I think of is what I've been diagnosed with four times over now, which is prostatitis, although I have to admit to you, at this point, from everything I've gone through these past few months, prostatitis has quickly become urologist-speak to me for, "We don't really have any clue what's wrong with you, and we don't know how to fix it, either."

I've sort of come to grips with the possibility (and again I stress, DON'T PANIC; this is just me getting this off my chest. I seriously doubt either of you guys are in the same boat) that I may never actually get over this, so about three weeks or so ago I returned as best I could to my old routines and am trying as hard as I can to ignore the symptoms, even staying away from this site until tonight so as not to be further reminded of my "condition." I also do a lot more on the weekends to keep my mind occupied and distracted on other things, hoping that it's all in my head and that if I forget about the discomfort long enough, it will eventually just go away on its on. Sadly, however, so far it hasn't seemed to help.

All that being said, IC is definitely still a possibility in your case; your doctor is wrong about it being a "myth" (although I wouldn't mind hearing his thoughts on "prostatitis"; I might actually agree with him if he shares a similar sentiment towards it). It could also be a case of anxiety, which is what I've been told may be what's wrong with me--hoping the psychiatrist and physical therapist can help--or just some bug that isn't showing up in your system, in which case you just need to find the right drug and stay on it long enough to knock it out.

Good luck to you both, and be sure to post if either of you improve. I imagine I have a pretty good idea of what you're both going through, so I'll be praying for you in the meantime; I know how much it sucks. And most of all, stay strong and think positive. Fight through the pain as best you can, get up in the morning, and go about as you normally would, and hopefully you'll have better results than I have thus far.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
(male)

stvnhthr HB User

I guess in my first post when I said "nothing makes it better" it might be a bit confusing. Antibiotics take the edge off and eliminate most of the symptoms for awhile, but as soon as they wear off I'm right back where I started. Amoxocillan in particular works well, the other two antibiotics had less effectiveness. I guess because for two months I've been on some sort of antibiotic I didn't realize what bad shape I was in once they completely left my system.

I'm to a third doctor now and on another round of antibiotics. He believes it may be an infection which is not treatable with some of the more common "weaker" antibiotics.

I doubt if it is anxiety caused. I believe I would probably feel at least a little anxious if it were. If anything I'm usually to calm and probably should worry a bit more about things. I have another more serious dietary condition which for months the docs thought was in my head or caused by worry, then they did a colonoscopy and discovered I had a severe case of colitis, totally unrelated to stress. So I've learned when doctors get to the end of their abilities rather than admit defeat they jump to the "the patient is creating the problem in their mind" solution.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
(male)

stvnhthr HB User

Well it is back to the doc, hopefully they can get me in early next week.

I feel about 95% better. I still wake up with back pain and lower urinary track discomfort. It comes and goes through out the day. I have no idea what will happen when my antibiotics run out in two days.

Closed Thread