It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

Rebecca04 HB User
Can someone have a UTI even if their culture is negative

My 22 Yr old daughter has had urgency and a feeling of incompleteness when emptying bladder. She went to the campus md and they dip sticked urine and it showed WBCs and trace of blood. They put her on 3 days of bactrim DS and pyridium. She was alot better in 2 days. The md told her on the third day that her culture was neg. That was 3 days ago and now her symptoms are worse with a continual feeling of not emptying bladder and some pressure.
Can she still have a UTI even if the culture is negative?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Can someone have a UTI even if their culture is negative

The drug "bactrim" may be to blame. They took that culture when she first came in. She took the bactrim which initially seemed to work. It didn't do a complete job however, and now the infection has flared and is worse than ever. I've had this issue happen with bactrim, and the next drug that was given was cipro. Problem was over. She needs to insist on something that will conquer the infection rather than 'kind of take care of it so it can come back worse.' I don't believe the doctor is at fault - sometimes it is a journey to find the right drug.

Kirstee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

Mollywood94 HB User
Smile Re: Can someone have a UTI even if their culture is negative

I registered an account on this website because I have been reading them for a long time now, and have had these same symptoms!! I'm hoping I can at least help someone out!! I'm the same age as your daughter (21), I've had reccurent UTIs and UTI symptoms for a little over 2 years now...I had a really bad flare up a couple of weeks ago..and my worthless urologist put me on 3 different antibiotics...of which none worked AT ALL. I finally wound up in the emergency room because I couldn't take the pain/discomfort any longer. The ER doc took CT scans and whatnot, found out I had kidney stones..and gave me an intravenous antibiotic, along with some pain meds. I felt fine a couple of days after that, but then the UTI symptoms kept coming back. I finally found a great urologist a couple of days ago, and he asked me questions about my symptoms. Turns out, the cause of my severe discomfort and pain was constipation. it sounds like such a simple diagnosis, and i really didn't believe him..until he put me on a cleanse...I drank magnesium citrate, to completely clean out my system...and literally, i feel 100% better. No more frequent urination, no more burning... When you're backed up, the amount of pressure from that is absolutely debilitating. He also said it could be that the stones in my kidneys are infected, but that would be the next test I go in there for. But PLEASE if you're having any of those symptoms with a negative culture like me, go get your kidneys checked out, as well as staying regular with bowel movements. I hope your daughter feels better! I have been there, and it is hell.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

Mollywood94 HB User

ALSO!!: You mentioned she felt she couldn't empty her bladder. The urologist should have done an ultrasound on her bladder, it takes 3 seconds literally..and is usually done by the nurse. It will show how much fluid is left in her bladder after she gives a urine sample.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Hi, has the Dr. done a scan to see if there is any blockage in her Ureters which connect to the Bladder or checked other areas in The Urinary system?

Closed Thread