It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

rockcandy96 HB User
Angry Cystoscopy / Cystogram HELP please!

Help me please...I have a history of UTI's. I am a 27yr old female, otherwise healthy. I am on birth control and now hydroxizine for possible IC they have yet to confirm. I have lost count this year how many UTI's I have had. I think think this would be my 7th or 8th this year. I have just started to see a Urologist for this problem as it as affecting my life significantly. I have lost work due to leaving to go to an urgent care clinic, etc every couple of weeks.

I had a Voiding Cystogram done yesterday at my urologist's office. I had just gotten off 10 days of Cipro 500 mg treatment 2x a day from a UTI 5 days prior to getting this prcedure. From what I read online, it seems that local anestetic should be used and I received none. It was an EXTREMELY painful experience for me. I cried and bled. I left there feeling absolutely miserable and barely able to walk/stand for an hour. I kept asking the nurse if it was normal for it to hurt this bad through my tears and all she kept saying was sorry. I feel like it wasn't supposed to hurt that bad for the normal person. I will NEVER go through that again, concious at least. This morning I woke up and noticed something was wrong. I was getting the same familar UTI symptoms I've had so many times before, except worse. I go to my primary care dr's office since they are open the earliest to get checked out. They test my urine and ask how long I have been having these symptoms and I said just this morning, and explain that I just had a cystogram done yesterday. They said the reason we ask is because they found a whole bunch of bacteria and a whole bunch of blood in my urine. My question is this...Did the cystogram cause my UTI? I don't see how I developed one in that short of time frame and with it being as bad as it is by what the dr said. I have a cystoscopy scheduled for this coming Tues 10/26 which I will be under general anestesia for because my initial consultation with the urologist did not go so well at all. He simply placed a catheter in me to get a urine sample and pressed on my bladder and I was crying from the pain. It was bad. I think that's why I am going under anestesia for the cystoscopy. I am nervous about the anestesia but feel I have no choice. Do people normally get a UTI after getting these procedures done and why? How can I prevent it? I was prescribed Levoquin, Pyridium and an anti-nausea pill for my current UTI with treatment ending by Saturday, 4 days prior to my upcoming cystoscopy. I went back to my urologist to ask to see if I can get anything before my procedure that will prevent me from getting another UTI and they said the pills they gave me for this UTI will be enough since I will have to be off antibiotics for 3 days before this procedure is performed anyway. Is this normal??

The following user gives a hug of support to rockcandy96:
aleet7 (10-26-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
(male)

JM792 HB User
Re: Cystoscopy / Cystogram HELP please!

I had a urethrogram which is very similar to a Voiding Cystogram. I have had Cytoscopy without anasthetic and surgery and none of it was as painfull as the urethrogram. I had to ask them to stop the procedure for a few min to compose myself. After there was alot of bleeding and pain, the Nurse said well done for taking it! If it was so painfull I have no idea why they don't give pain meds as standard.

I was given different antibiotics to get rid of an infection, none of which worked. I was told that I only needed one weeks worth of antibiotics, they were wrong.......the only thing that shifted my UTI was 30days of Cipro 500 mg twice a day, it is harder to get rid of an UTI for a man than a woman.

I doubt your infection was caused in under 24hours by the cytoscopy. It sounds as if you have a very persistent infection that was diminished by the antibiotics but not totaly destroyed and you need more than just 5 days of antibiotics.

Get them to find out exactly what bacteria are in the UTI and get a long course of specific antibiotics to blast it out of your system.

Make sure you dont leave your cystoscopy apoitment on thurs without getting antibiotics.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

I'm sorry that I didn't respond before your cysto. I hope by now if you know if you have IC or not. I went through all of the urology tests to discover that I do have IC. I have a long history of UTI's. It's been 2 years since being diagnosed with IC through cystoscopy with hydrodistention. I wish I could've told you that I would not ever recommend having a cysto without sedation(I consider that to be near barbaric)!

I pray that you have answers to what is going on with your bladder.

Good Luck!
Aleet

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

rockcandy96 HB User

Thank you both for replying. Your stories helped me alot!

I am not sure if I still have my UTI or not. It doesn't seem like I do, so hopefully the Levoquin worked!!

I did have my cystourethroscopy today. I had some kind of medicine in injected into me as well because of the inflammation they found. Also some kind of calibration was done, not sure if that is the same thing. I was knocked out when it all happened which I am very thankful for! It's been about 9 hours after the procedure and I am having pretty bad abdominal pain right now and blood in urine but I was told that is all normal. I guess my anestesia is finally wearing off, bummer! My urologist did speak with me after my procedure and did confirm that I have IC. This kind of sucks! He prescribed me Elmiron 100mg 3x a day and I am on the hydroxzine 1x a day as well. I might take a Elmiron pill tonight just because of the pain I'm having, not quite sure.

Aleet - What kind of medications are you on? They also gave me a booklet about IC and diet and how that might play a role. I was reading the information and I don't know if I can eat anything but chicken and brown rice it seems according to the booklet lol

Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
(female)

I'm sorry that your abdomen is hurting. The bleeding is normal, I had terrible bleeding after my cysto. The Elmiron is a cousin to heparin which is a blood thinner, it doesn't really help with pain. It helps with IC over a period of time. It takes up to 3 months for the Elmiron to show it's affects sometimes. Sometimes you can feel like you have a UTI and get a negative result and at times you can get a positive result for a UTI. I have no way of knowing if I have one or not with IC. I experience the symptoms of a Uti from time to time without actually having one.

I am currently doing rescue instills with Elmiron in them(using a catheter to put the meds directly in my bladder once a week instead of taking it 4 times a day which I was originally prescribed). I take Prosed for bladder spasms and burning. I take Vicoden for flares and I'm on the IC diet. You can have foods that are low in acid such as potatoes, chicken, fish, rice, etc... you'll have to keep notes on what makes your bladder hurt and what doesn't(some seasonings may bother your bladder while others won't). I am in a good place right now after following the diet and taking my meds. I know of some that are in remission(no symptoms). Having a heating pad is a must...there are sometimes when this can come in handy on your belly. That's about all I can think to tell you at the moment. Please feel free to ask me any qestions that you can think of!
Hugs,
Aleet

Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
(female)

judybee7 HB User
Question Re: Cystoscopy / Cystogram HELP please!

I am curious and hope all of you don't mind me asking. Does IC cause pain in everyone? Can you have IC with just frequent urges to urinate that is never satisfied. Dr. is talking about OAB, but what I have seems more than that. Even when I urinate, the urge doesn't go away.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybee7 View Post
I am curious and hope all of you don't mind me asking. Does IC cause pain in everyone? Can you have IC with just frequent urges to urinate that is never satisfied. Dr. is talking about OAB, but what I have seems more than that. Even when I urinate, the urge doesn't go away.
It depends on if the IC is mild. Although I know that there are some patients that have mild IC and still experience bladder pain. There are some with mild IC that complain more of frequency and urgency with less pain. Yes you can have IC and have frequency and urgency.

Good Luck

The Following User Says Thank You to aleet7 For This Useful Post:
judybee7 (11-13-2010)
Closed Thread