It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
(male)

paulys HB User
Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery (forming Scabs/ Meatus)

I have recently had a 1 stage Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery. It was with circumcision, to deal with a stricture at the top end of the penis. I was diagnosed with BXO.
I am now nearly two months after the operation which I had at the University College Hospital London, under Professor Mundy's Practice. It was an overnight stay at the hospital and had to have a catheter in for two weeks after. It was mostly painful in the mouth than anywhere else. That side of everything went fairly smoothly.
My main issue is now that the catheter is out, scabs have been forming around the meatus (pee hole). After a while they fall off in the shower but are then replaced soon after. I do not know if this is normal or not. It only seems to be on the outside of the gland not in the the urethra itself. I do not have any problems with urinating and it does not hurt to pee. The flow seems to be pretty good too.
There is also one of the stitches that every now and then has a little bit of blood around it. it may have happened three times in total. I am wondering if this is because of erections at night. It is literally only a spot of blood now and again.
Are these issues normals after nearly two months since the operation and one month since the catheter was taken out.
I have not engaged in sex since before the operation which is fine as my wife is pregnant, but not really even sure when that can start again. These doctors are so clever and to be respected for what they do but they sometimes don't give the information you need. Can anyone Help??

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
(male)

flyan HB User
Re: Buccal Mucosa Graft Surgery (forming Scabs/ Meatus)

... deleted ...

Last edited by flyan; 10-29-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
(male)

paulys HB User

Hey
I think yours sounds a different thing to me. I only had the one stage so the glands are not left open. These scabs I have have formed literally around the meatus when the catheter was taken out. I hope it is just the wound healing. It does not hurt and besides that it seems to be ok. My doctor just told me it was nothing to worry about and the blood thing has stopped now.
You are right though it would be nice to know what to expect or for the doctors to tell you the stages you will go through. The internet does not have a huge amount of info either.
I hope you sort things out. The doctor I went with is A R Mundy. I think he is pretty high up in this field. As far as I know anyway.
My wife is now pregnant so there is still hope. And it is amazing how encouraging she is. I am sure your wife only wants the best for you. When you think of how many of us with the same issues there are out there, it certainly makes me feel a little better. I know how you feel though it does not do a huge amount for the ego. Still I would rather get this sorted now than later.
I hope you get some positive news soon
thanks for the reply.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
(male)

flyan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulys View Post
Hey
I think yours sounds a different thing to me. I only had the one stage so the glands are not left open. These scabs I have have formed literally around the meatus when the catheter was taken out. I hope it is just the wound healing. It does not hurt and besides that it seems to be ok. My doctor just told me it was nothing to worry about and the blood thing has stopped now.
You are right though it would be nice to know what to expect or for the doctors to tell you the stages you will go through. The internet does not have a huge amount of info either.
I hope you sort things out. The doctor I went with is A R Mundy. I think he is pretty high up in this field. As far as I know anyway.
My wife is now pregnant so there is still hope. And it is amazing how encouraging she is. I am sure your wife only wants the best for you. When you think of how many of us with the same issues there are out there, it certainly makes me feel a little better. I know how you feel though it does not do a huge amount for the ego. Still I would rather get this sorted now than later.
I hope you get some positive news soon
thanks for the reply.
Yes, if you have no Buccal Mucosa exposed around the meatus and the scabs are not on this then it is not the same thing. My wife has been great also the problems are really just me and how I feel about it. When you feel disgusted at the sight of yourself it is hard to want sex even when your wife still does.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
(male)

OutsideTheLines HB User

Curious as to whether this problem resolved itself. I have not had buccal graft surgery, but I have had (over many years) a lot of trauma to the tissue around the meatus (mainly from self-catheterization) and recently began to notice the formation of a small scab or two that sound similar. They do not hurt, but are somewhat persistent and are not going away. Of course anytime one has anything like a sore or scab that doesn't heal, one gets a little worried. So, I was wondering whether yours did.

By the way, with respect to your surgeon, you could not do any better than Mundy. Hope the repair has continued to be satisfactory.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
(male)

paulys HB User

Well it has been nearly two years since the operation. It still scabs very slightly but it is nothing that bothers me as it is only slight. I was told it will correct itself after two years or so.
As far as the operation I have never looked back. Yes it was unpleasant and not something I enjoyed. However, it has made a huge difference to my life. This is priceless.
I had mine at the University College Hospital London and would recommend this as a good place to look into.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
(male)

chillipulp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulys View Post
I had mine at the University College Hospital London and would recommend this as a good place to look into.
Me, too, and I would endorse that statement.

Expert urthroplasty offers the best chance of long-term success with urethral strictures. If considering urethroplasty, it's important to find a doctor with good experience with this surgery. Most urologists have little experience with urethroplasty surgery; three surgeons perform half the urethroplasties in the UK each year. A similar situation applies in the United States and elsewhere.

Reply Reply