It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User
leg cramps & headaches

Ive been having terrible leg cramps and my feet cramp alot and seem to draw. These are mostly at night once I lay down. I wake up in the middle of the night with headaches, and I sometimes suffere"surprise" headaches randomly during the day. Are these symptoms of kidney disease?
I have vesico-ureteral reflux with a mega-ureter and I am constantly with infection. I usually am symptom free with these infections.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
Re: leg cramps & headaches

I am not familiar with your specific conditions but I am curious to know what your electrolytes are. Has anyone commented on your sodium and calcium levels? Low sodium can cause leg cramps. Low calcium can cause foot cramps. Low fluid levels in general (dehydration) can cause cramps and headaches. Kindneys control electrolyte and fluid levels but having these conditions does not in itself mean that you have kidney disease. They can be caused by many different reasons. Only a doctor can know for sure based on blood and urine tests.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User

I do have a kidney disease. I have vesico-ureteral reflux to the left kidney. My bladder dont empty completely and I keep infections alot.
Im not sure about what my electrolytes are. I do have a thyroid problem also.
I have been hypo all my life and then last yr, even tho i still had hypo symptoms my blood work showed that I was hyper. I am now on an anti-thyroid med called methamazole.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User

There are many different factors that can cause the problems you describe. I just read about methamazole but there is no mention of it causing electrolyte issues, dehydration, or cramping. It does say that you should talk to your doctor if you are having headaches while taking the drug.

Depending on your overall kidney function, it could be your kidneys causing these issues. You may need more salt (sodium), calcium, and / or water in your diet. However, it is important that you talk to your doctor before you try anything on your own. Since your kidneys may not be working as much as they should, you could have problems if you take in too much of anything.

As you may have already learned, it can sometimes be a balancing act with kidney disease. You need a certain amount of everything to be healthy but too much of anything becomes a problem. Healthy kidneys automatically control all of these things but sick ones lose their ability to do so.

I hope you feel better.

Closed Thread