It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

adteaf HB User
PVP or Turp

Good evening all, I find this message board very useful in obtaining excellent real information- yet my heart goes out to everyone as I share in the issues everyone is going through. I am looking for some good information to make an informed decision.

I am 46 (initially diagnosed with BPH in 08) and have been recently diagnosed with a high bladder neck that is causing a severe case of nocturia (4-7 times nightly, I can count the number of good nights I have slept). I have run the spectrum of meds (Flomax, Hytrin, Uroxatrol, Enablex) with very nominal success.

After a cysto and CMG, the realization of surgery became evident. I am much more in favor of a PVP (shorter recovery time, less blood) rather than TURP (much more extended recovery time, reading stories on web scares me). I understand that there are other procedures, but the effectiveness rate is in quetion and would not want to do another surgery at all costs

My uro was frank with me that he would rather do a TURP (he said it would be a combo of TURP and TUIP) instead of a PVP (green light laser) due to the number of nerves (bladder vs. prostate) where the blockage is occurring. He would agree to the PVP, but said I should get a second opinion (which I am in the process now).

As I am in process of second opinion, any help to my questions would be greatly appreciated:
1. Is TURP better than PVP for a high bladder neck?
2. Is there a recommendation as to top Urology practice/doctor (I am willing to travel to have the best chance of success/have access to TX, DC and Phila area and understand university hospitals would be the best)
3. Would you choose a uro that has fellowship specifically in BPH, as opposed to ED or other specialty
4. What is the specific recovery time for TURP, read up to a year? Also is scar/scab tissue always normal
5. If anyone has had PVP, have you had success?

Thanks in advance for your help, with continued thoughts and prayers for everyone!

adteaf

Last edited by adteaf; 01-02-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: additional information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
(male)

MM2H HB User
Re: PVP or Turp

Hi

I have found your post and was wondering how you got on.

I too have been having trouble and about 3 yrs ago started to have to get up in the early hours to pass water. Recently it is becoming the norm to have to wake twice every night and I am also having aches in my lower abdomen (like constant wind/gas)

Recently my local Uro did an endoscopy and determined that A) my prostate was not overly enlarged (PSA =0,4) but that I had an elevated bladder neck.

As my symptoms are getting worse I will be back to him soon but this being malaysia they are not always 100% up to date with the latest procedures or opinions

So it would be helpful to know how you got on.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
(male)

adteaf HB User

MM2H

Thanks for posting and asking. As some time has passed since I posted, my situation has changed. I ended up having PVP this past April and after some months, things are now better. As far as the PVP (greenlight ablation of the prostate), I would recommend this over TURP with the recovery time. The key is to obtain a uro you feel very comfortable at a hospital where PVP (I was blessed to have near Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore) is done on a regular basis. I am not sure of Malaysia, but feel you need to get a second opinion. You should also ask about the possibility of TUIP as I had a high bladder neck tone (I am still taking Uraxatrol since the operation).

Be interested to hear how you make out.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-05-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 09-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

Gramshe HB User

My husband had TURP done on June 28 and has been having very frequent urges to pee ever since. He has little or no control of his urination, often resulting in embarissing accedents. He went back last month to have dead tissue removed and his control is worse if anything. He has depression problems and this had made for a very stressful summer for him. He would never have had it done if he had been told of the danger of being incontinnent. He has not left the yard except to go to the Dr. for 2 1/2 months. He is so afraid of having an accident. I keep telling him it will get better but I am no longer sure of that. He is wondering if anyone who has had this don has also experienced penius retraction. He feels like his is backing up inside. He often feels like he is sitting on a golf ball and he often dribbles down his scrotum.

Reply Reply