It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
(male)

albedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB User
Re: Blood in urine after TURP

Interesting thread. Thank you all. I decided to post here (and maybe elsewhere on this excellent Forum) as blood in the urine, post TURP, is my current reason of concern (I must say I had many others which dissipated quickly).

• TURP (bipolar) done 18 days ago
• Main reason: huge post void residual which increased over 6 years from 200ml to 800-900ml and no effect of large doses of tamsulosin (2x0.4mg)
• Surgery went very well, prostate was small and surgeon very well experimented and cautious (2000+ interventions)
• So far one complication: had to be re catheterized the very same day they removed the 3 ways surgery cath as I could not urinate at all.
• 18 days after, I am drinking a lot (2-3l fluids), taking normal dose of tamsulosin in the evening (0.4) and distigmine bromide (5mg) in the morning (not every day)
• Can empty 350-400ml typically at night (going 3-4 times) but also during day, this looks good. Had peaks at 500ml and even 600ml.
• Regarding stream I am waiting to see the TURP effect after doc agreed to stop the tamsulosin but does not look bad

REASON OF CONCERN: after every time I pass a stool (was constipated a couple of days after the first week from surgery) or I stay seated or walk in the house I have very reddish blood at the start of urination. This completely disappears when I urinate after I stayed in bed during the day and of course during the night.

IS IT NORMAL? How much time I need to wait for this to goes away? Please give your experience.

LESSONS LEARNED (so far):

• Research, look for experienced surgeon and ask opinions before deciding on the procedure.
• Try to relax if you are anxious (easier said than done, I was given an anxiolitic after removal of the surgery cath).
• Stay close to an ER if you need by any chance a new cath. This helps also with anxiety.
• Have at hand a laxative if you got constipated. Plums worked great for me but had to take a glycerin suppository one day I was completely blocked.
• Of course drink a lot.
• Have a perfect diet and watch supplements in case you take them; avoid herbs and blood thinning substances for while.
• Keep constant talk with doctor.

Last edited by albedo1; 02-13-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: text correction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
(male)

In my experience I had to wait end of my 4th week after surgery to see blood visibly disappearing in the urine (at the start of the stream) as many advised. Microscopically some RBC (with some WBC) were in the urine sample the urologist took at the first control after 4 weeks. Consider that 1% of blood in the urine makes it impressively colored hence we should not panic and be patient. Also remember vitamin supplementation (riboflavin for the yellowish side) and some food might change urine color.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #18
(male)

Mojo88 HB UserMojo88 HB User

I had TURP 10 days ago. The urologist seems very capable. I spent one painful night in hospital, then doc removed catheter to see if I could pee. No joy, locked up tight, could not pass a drop. He had to insert new catheter and I went home for four days with a bag on my leg. Back to his office on Day 5, catheter removed, then after a couple of hours took a good pee (with scabs and blood). Whew, what a relief. Some blood and scabs continued, but then clear for a few days.
Then at day 9, I started seeing scabs and blood again. Now day 10, still a little blood.
Flow is much improved, but still intermittent pain, blood and urgency.
I have no regrets. I had PVR, so this had to be done. I remain optimistic, and will keep posting here.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mojo88:
albedo1 (04-01-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo88 For This Useful Post:
albedo1 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo88 View Post
I had TURP 10 days ago. The urologist seems very capable. I spent one painful night in hospital, then doc removed catheter to see if I could pee. No joy, locked up tight, could not pass a drop. He had to insert new catheter and I went home for four days with a bag on my leg. Back to his office on Day 5, catheter removed, then after a couple of hours took a good pee (with scabs and blood). Whew, what a relief. Some blood and scabs continued, but then clear for a few days.
Then at day 9, I started seeing scabs and blood again. Now day 10, still a little blood.
Flow is much improved, but still intermittent pain, blood and urgency.
I have no regrets. I had PVR, so this had to be done. I remain optimistic, and will keep posting here.
Excellent and good luck. Your urologist seems having done a good job. I am now entering my 3 month and everything starts to look fine. You will be OK. Again (I have written about this also in other threads) my problems was and still is to an extend the high PVR. At first month control I only could remove 50% of the PVR I had before the surgery. Will see at the end of this month for the second control. I am taking time to void well in meantime. YES please keep posting here as this is interesting. I had more or less the same experience as yours. May I ask you how much was you PVR as measured before the surgery?

The following user gives a hug of support to albedo1:
Mojo88 (04-01-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to albedo1 For This Useful Post:
Mojo88 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albedo1 View Post
..... May I ask you how much was you PVR as measured before the surgery?
Thanks for support, and good luck to you (and everyone else) who has this procedure done.
-
My PVR (post void residual) numbers had been steadily increasing for about 6 years. Remained slightly over 100cc for about four years, then went to 200cc, then 250cc. Then started Flomax (once daily) and it went down a little. But then about a year ago, PVR went to about 400cc. Then started taking two Flomax per day (one in AM, one in PM). PVR dropped to about 200cc. But I could tell there was a 'plumbing' problem, too much dribbling and obstruction.
-
I knew it was only a matter of time before I absolutely had to get TURP or Laser. And I also wanted to try and preserve bladder and kidney function, as I was getting nervous that I might have caused some stretching of bladder. Urologist agreed and we did TURP.
-
I am sitting in easy chair right now. I was feeling almost perfect a few days ago, so I went hiking and lifted some things that were a tad heavy. Now I am paying price (discomfort and blood in urine). I'm mad at myself for this little setback, because I have been following doctor's orders precisely, up to this point. If you get TURP, follow doc's advice and take it easy!
-
Prayers to everyone

Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
(male)

Oh, I wanted to add that my Doc still has me taking Flomax twice a day. My next appointment is in two weeks. I will post PVR numbers and any other relevant facts.

albedo1 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
(male)

Mojo88, the blood will disappear even after the small set back. Also my urologist wanted me on tamsulosin 0.4 (was taking 0.8 prior to TURP with no benefit on my PVR) but after one month we removed it. I am also taking the distigmine bromide to prolong the activity of acetylcholine for a better voiding. This can be a bit harder on my body, I take least dose (1 every 2 days) and suspect some constipation effect. I am trying to remove it for a couple of weeks to check. Going better. I also stopped supplementation for a while (but will restart, mainly targeting inflammation, oxidation and prostate support after my histological results). I keep high my fluid intake (better using water, ~2L/day). No blood, stream OK. Trying to push a little to better void. Will check bladder physio. Also restarted exercise (stepper) and avoid sitting for long time. Please comment if you find something wrong!

Last edited by albedo1; 04-02-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to albedo1 For This Useful Post:
Mojo88 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #23
(male)

albedo - I called doc today and he said some blood at this stage is normal. This is Day 12 for me. I kinda feel like I'm getting some minor flu symptoms too, but doc said take Tylenol. I have no fever.
-
Let's keep posting, especially with regards to the PVR. My doc says it's important to try and get the PVR under 100cc. Please let me know what works for you, and I will do same. I am not afraid to experiment with physio or herbal approaches to remedy the PVR. Obviously, I'm hoping the TURP will be a big help too!
-
Good luck to us all!
-
Dave in Rhode Island

Last edited by Mojo88; 04-02-2013 at 08:16 AM.

albedo1 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
(male)

Mojow88, PVR under 100ml is my "dream" and a limit I saw often in the literature. If I recollect well, higher than that and low stream should be treated (starting, as we both did, with pharmaceuticals). You might have a better chance than me as I am coming from far away in term of PVR. Will see and yes let's keep posting.

Reply Reply