HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Urology (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/)
-   -   Blood in urine after TURP (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/830403-blood-urine-after-turp.html)

Aussie42 01-07-2011 10:21 AM

Blood in urine after TURP

Had TURP on October 25, 2010 (10 weeks ago) and have had good flow and not too many nightime get ups. Urine has been clear since soon after surgery but last night some blood has shown up in urine. Is this normal after 10 weeks or should I be concerned? My urologist is out of the office and they said an on call doc would get back to me. As things seemed to be going so well I am freaked by seeing the blood (fortunately not the bright red I had right after the surgery). I guess I need some reassurance that this is not a serious turn for the worse and will go away in time.

Any suggestions or your experiences? Thanks

HueyPilot 07-27-2011 01:59 PM

Re: Blood in urine after TURP

I am 50 yr old man, quite fit, very active, military Officer. Had TURP done one week ago (July 20, 2011) at Barrie Ontario and I would be very interested to hear about your experiences, particularly how recovery progressed through the first month until now. For me, at the one week mark my symptoms are worse than pre-surgery, but based on my research and Urologist’s advice I realize that these are normal hurdles at this stage and supposedly lead to vastly improved state of affairs later on. In your first month of recovery, how was urine control, leakage, pain or tenderness in the prostate, frequency of urination (getting up at night) and so forth? Any advice you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Aussie42 07-27-2011 06:37 PM

I am now 9 months after TURP and I smile every day because all the angst, pain, uncertainty, and concern about my prostate has evaporated. I sympathise with you because there are early issues right after the procedure, such as, dripping, pain, some blood in urine, and of course enough getting up at night to make one wonder if the TURP worked. I had an additional complication about a month after when I had to go to the ER because I hadn't urinated at all for about 24 hours. The ER inserted the dread catheter as a temporary fix until I could get to my urologist after the weekend. My doc kept telling me that the procedure went well and I shouldn't worry about this stuff (easy for him to say). Bottom line - he was right. After about 2 months I started to feel normal - had a good solid stream, only up about twice a night - bragged to my friends that I could now pee like a teenager. My advice - hang in there, don't expect instant relief, but look foward, like me, to having a happy ending! Good luck from a former fellow sufferer!

HueyPilot 07-27-2011 06:48 PM

That's very reassuring. Exactly the thoughts going through my head. Thank you for sharing.

Ed G 07-28-2011 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Aussie42;4656164]Had TURP on October 25, 2010 (10 weeks ago) and have had good flow and not too many nightime get ups. Urine has been clear since soon after surgery but last night some blood has shown up in urine. Is this normal after 10 weeks or should I be concerned? My urologist is out of the office and they said an on call doc would get back to me. As things seemed to be going so well I am freaked by seeing the blood (fortunately not the bright red I had right after the surgery). I guess I need some reassurance that this is not a serious turn for the worse and will go away in time.

Any suggestions or your experiences? Thanks[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened too me too. I cleared up pretty good, no blood for a week or so, then it started again. Also, it seemed to happen after a scap fell off and It passed out my urethea. This is scary the 1st time is happens, but my doctor told me it would. So don't panic here. If the blood continues, then get ahold of your doctor or other medical professional.

craigmuerer 09-29-2011 04:48 PM

Sir,

I am also active duty Army as a SGM and I am 41. I had the TURP done one week ago and would love to know how things are for you now that it has been 3-4 months. Did you have lots of problems initially? I have slight bleeding from time to time, and urgency and burning when I pee. I hope this all clears up soon and continues to improve as I go along. I am also really nervous about the scab process so anything you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SGM M

dingbat77 10-16-2011 06:01 AM

Hi

I am 48 and had a TURP about 5 weeks ago , I had a lot of pain and burning following operation, I now have some stinging on passing urine and a sharpish pain immediately the flow stops which lasts about 10 seconds whilst last few drops come out.

The flow is very strong first thing in the morning when bladder full and urgency to pee , during the day still getting some dribbling and a split stream, a few drops of pinkish urine at end of flow but no blood, I'm on warfarin for a DVT so relieved about that.

I am assuming every time I am urinating it is aggrevating the healing process

Just wondering how long I will have the pain and burning feeling.

wells888 10-16-2011 09:51 AM

I had my TURP on August 8th, 10 weeks ago. For the first 3 weeks I had some blood in my urine, and burning when I urinated, which seemed worst just before the flow stopped. I also saw 1 piece of scab. I also needed to get up about 6 or 7 times during the night. Things have gradually improved to the point now when I have a really good flow, only have to get up about once a night, and have really good control. I am 70 yrs old and am really pleased with my progress. Saw my Consultant on Friday, and he said he will see me again in 3 months, and if things are still the same and my blood tests are ok, he will discharge me. :D So, if you people just wait a while, I'm sure you will all be happy with your results. Just hang in there ;)

dingbat77 10-16-2011 11:14 AM

I did pass some prostate tissue & blood the day after the operation, but no scabs, probably due to being on anti clotting medication again following the op.

I only need to get up once usually during the night , but it's a big rush to the loo as soon as I approach the bowl my bladder releases, thankfully no urgency during the day unless bladder really full, so visit bathroom every couple of hours ,I have to linger as a few dribbles for about 10 seconds when flow finishes last couple of dribbles sometimes pink

I have if going out stuck a pad down my trunks just in case some leaking but no problems so far but gives some re-assurance

From reading the posts on here and other sites back to normal in 4-6 weeks a tad ambitious for most .

Fingers crossed will improve before Christmas

David2 10-30-2011 06:08 AM

Hi, I too had a turp about the same time as you. I now find that I can p** like a horse ! no pain only a dull ache as I finish. I too am on warfarin and do not get any blood now, however I am presently going through BCG treatment every week for six weeks and each time they test my pee a blood trace is found. The docs say this is normal for warfarin patients. I am to undergo further radio therapy for my prostate as I have Bladder and Prostate cancer this is for six weeks each day followed by Brachy therapy Implants. But they would not do any of this until I underwent a Turp op. If I am anything to go by you are ok and on the road to recovery. All the Best. will be pleased to know how you get on.

Regards David

dingbat77 10-30-2011 12:10 PM

Hiya

Now nearly week 7 prostate very sore( especially after passing stools) , feels like someone has stuck a hot poken up my rear , can't get a good stream up as due to soreness and stinging, feel the need to visit loo every 2hrs , getting split stream and dribbling , only time powerful flow is first thing in morning when bladder full and prostate calmed down overnight.

I saw consultant and he gave me some stuff to reduce prostate swelling and also to stop bladder frequency but he seemed surprised still having the burning and pain on peeing . He said should heal up and next seeing me in January unless it gets worse. Hot baths really help.

Thankfully the biopsies negative and no blood in urine just very sore and wish the soreness will end.

On warfarin until both hips replaced next year, not sure if that is causing the prostate not to heal up.

TDinDC 02-06-2012 07:22 PM

I had TURP on the 28th of November - 10 weeks ago today, and I have had a number of episodes of blood in the urine, each usually lasting 1 to 3 days. One of them, about a week ago, was particularly distressing because the urine was bright red - the color of fresh blood. Usually it has been red-orange to orange brown, and lightens over the next 1 to 3 days. Several times I have passed clots; the last time the clot was so large that I could actually feel it passing through the penis.

My urologist (also the surgeon in the TURP) said that some bleeding was normal, as scar tissue breaks away from the surgery site during the healing period, but that everything should be back to normal after eight weeks at most. This morning I had another episode of blood in the urine, and am wondering whether anyone else has experienced this at ten weeks or more after the procedure.

Another frequent occurrance has been very cloudy urine (as in, so cloudy you can't quite make out what's at the bottom of the toilet.) I was given two antibiotic prescriptions, additional to the initial one given right after the procedure, at about three and six weeks after the procedure to fight possible infections. The frequency of cludy urine did diminish after the second one, but returns occasionally. Perhaps I'm seeing effects of a small amount of bleeding, or loss of scar tissue??

By the way, the urinary retention symptoms are completely gone. For the first couple of weeks it was difficult to control the bladder but the flow was like I was young again.

Finally, my particular story may be unusual, so I thougtht I'd share it: TURP is normally for treating BPH. While I certainly had those symptoms (urinary retention, for which I had to be catheterized four times over three years) my procedure was undertaken because of a prostate so large that both surgeon and radiation oncologist were hesitant to treat my prostate cancer because of risks associated with the prostate size (200cc). Radical prostatectomy carried the risk of not being able to reattach the ureter to the bladder, while radiation causes swelling of the prostate and would likely cause complete unrinary retention. Now with the reduced size, I can pursue either course of treatment.

David2 02-07-2012 02:06 AM

[QUOTE=TDinDC;4923796]I had TURP on the 28th of November - 10 weeks ago today, and I have had a number of episodes of blood in the urine, each usually lasting 1 to 3 days. One of them, about a week ago, was particularly distressing because the urine was bright red - the color of fresh blood. Usually it has been red-orange to orange brown, and lightens over the next 1 to 3 days. Several times I have passed clots; the last time the clot was so large that I could actually feel it passing through the penis.

My urologist (also the surgeon in the TURP) said that some bleeding was normal, as scar tissue breaks away from the surgery site during the healing period, but that everything should be back to normal after eight weeks at most. This morning I had another episode of blood in the urine, and am wondering whether anyone else has experienced this at ten weeks or more after the procedure.

Another frequent occurrance has been very cloudy urine (as in, so cloudy you can't quite make out what's at the bottom of the toilet.) I was given two antibiotic prescriptions, additional to the initial one given right after the procedure, at about three and six weeks after the procedure to fight possible infections. The frequency of cludy urine did diminish after the second one, but returns occasionally. Perhaps I'm seeing effects of a small amount of bleeding, or loss of scar tissue??

By the way, the urinary retention symptoms are completely gone. For the first couple of weeks it was difficult to control the bladder but the flow was like I was young again.

Finally, my particular story may be unusual, so I thougtht I'd share it: TURP is normally for treating BPH. While I certainly had those symptoms (urinary retention, for which I had to be catheterized four times over three years) my procedure was undertaken because of a prostate so large that both surgeon and radiation oncologist were hesitant to treat my prostate cancer because of risks associated with the prostate size (200cc). Radical prostatectomy carried the risk of not being able to reattach the ureter to the bladder, while radiation causes swelling of the prostate and would likely cause complete unrinary retention. Now with the reduced size, I can pursue either course of treatment.[/QUOTE]
Hi TD, I read your post with interest. I too have had a TURP prior to RT and Brachy Therapy. and have had simular incidents as you. I am on Warfarin which is an added complication. However You are showing classic signs of a severe urinary Tract Infection. This must be treated ASAP or more complications will follow. Go see your Doc or Urologist and ask him about either Ciprofloxacin 500mg or CO-Amoxiclav 625mg this will cure it but it may take a long course. My infection took 5 weeks to clear and my symtoms were the same as yours. One other thing ask your Urologist / Oncologist if a course of Hormones followed by LHRH injections would help in reducung your prostate. Hope all goes well
Regards David

TDinDC 02-07-2012 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=David2;4923890]Hi TD, I read your post with interest. I too have had a TURP prior to RT and Brachy Therapy. and have had simular incidents as you. I am on Warfarin which is an added complication. However You are showing classic signs of a severe urinary Tract Infection. This must be treated ASAP or more complications will follow. Go see your Doc or Urologist and ask him about either Ciprofloxacin 500mg or CO-Amoxiclav 625mg this will cure it but it may take a long course. My infection took 5 weeks to clear and my symtoms were the same as yours. One other thing ask your Urologist / Oncologist if a course of Hormones followed by LHRH injections would help in reducung your prostate. Hope all goes well
Regards David[/QUOTE]

Thanks David. I was given, for the first prescription, 2 weeks of Cipro 500mg, and for the second one, 2 weeks of a sulfa drug. Prior to the second one, I had a urine culture, which found only streptococcus. My urologist said that strep is not a bacteria that is found in the urinary tract and that the sample was probably contaminated. Therefore, he said, the prescription was more cautionary than for treatment of a discovered condition. He also said that he changed the drug (from Cipro to sulfa) in case there was something that had become resistant to Cipro.

Question: One almost constant condition since my procedure has been the presence of bubbles (so much that you might call them suds - and no, I don't ingest soap;) ) whenever I urinate. Is this something you also experienced? And, if so, did it go away after your infection was cured?

David2 02-08-2012 02:34 AM

Hi TD, You must remember Docttors are also not infalable!! get re-checked. with regards to the bubbles, occassionaly had them, but not in great quantity. You must accept the body gets rid of unwanted "Poisons" and many medications are a type of poison. It does this through the kidney's and the urine. However there are other reasons In healthy human beings, a small amount of protein is released in the urine. However, when large amounts of protein is released in the urine, the condition is called proteinuria. The level of protein to be released in the urine is regulated by the glomeruli in the kidneys. If the protein has passed the glomeruli filtration step and entered the urine, it only means that the glomeruli are inflamed or damaged. So how is this related to bubbles in urine? Well, the protein-rich urine reacts with the atmospheric air during urination and hits the water in the toilet bowl, to produce bubbles in urine. After urination, the toilet bowl contains abnormally large number of bubbles.
The other symptoms of proteinuria are swelling of the feet, hands, face, etc. hope this helps a little. all the best