It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

stairwayscare HB User
Red face questions about urology

i have never considered myself a "chronic kidney/urinary problem patient" but i have now been deemed one by both an ER staff and further confirmed by my family physician.

i never had any kind of issues with my kidneys/bladder/urinary tract, etc prior to having children.... i know having children weakens the bladder regardless, but i must note that i do have somewhat more bladder weakness than the average mother because my oldest son carried extremely low and i was told he was literally clamping a portion of my bladder closed which caused me to have nonstop bladder infections and bladder pains/discomforts. my 2nd pregnancy did not have any complications and i don't recall if i had any bladder issues, if i did, they were not serious or memorable.

also i am completely leaving out aswell that i had a kidney stone at 4 months during my 1st pregnancy, it hurt so bad i thought i was miscarrying-- the hospital told me that giving birth had nothing on the kind of pain kidney stones caused. i had to go through weeks of barely being able to stand and not being able to do much for the pain (due to being pregnant) before it finally dissolved enough to pass.

ANYWAY.... recently i began having problems with my kidneys. i went to the doctor and was told i had a kidney & urinary tract infection and was given antibiotics. i went back to the doctor again after i finished those antibiotics because although my kidney pain had stopped, my bladder/urinary tract were still bothering me. they put me on yet more antibiotics. i finished those and then the weird symptoms began... my kidneys started hurting, and i began to no longer have pain/stinging/burning/etc... but just a constant feeling of urgency. i'd be getting up and rushing to the bathroom every 10-12 minutes.. and when i'd get there, i'd have to go a lot, but i would have to push/strain for it to come out. i went back to my doctor AGAIN... this time they began to wonder if i perhaps have a stone or stones again... but my kidney pain is mild and not consistent. but every urine culture i had done from the first initial issue on, it was noted that i had excessive blood in my kidneys. also, along with the urgency problems, i have actually peed my pants (for lack of proper term, sorry) multiple times. i have always had to kinda watch with my weak bladder about sneezing unexpectedly or coughing... but i have never just accidently soiled myself. i'm a young girl... i didn't think i'd be worrying about that for quite some time.

OK.... now... so here's the thing--- they want me to see a urologist. i do not know anything about urology. all i do know is that one time i got straight-cathed.... i was having my monthly cycle and they said it was the only way they could get a clean urine sample and just did it before i could even question it and it was, albeit quick, one of the most horrible painful feelings i have ever felt. so for this reason, i am DEATHLY afraid of the urologist already.

also--- i had full cultures done. i do not nor have i ever had any kind of sexually transmitted diseases. and they currently cannot find any more infections... i am currently on pyridium to ease some of the pressure, some kind of anti-infective medication (not an antibiotic?).... and i am waiting to hear my appointment date for urology.

so my questions are... for those of you who are chronic kidney, bladder, urinary tract, etc sufferers... what kind of things does a urologist do? what kind of procedures do they commonly have done? and tests, etc...? i just seriously cannot go if they have to do anything even remotely similar to being straight-cathed.

Last edited by stairwayscare; 02-02-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
Re: questions about urology

Urologists do not routinely jump to catheters as the first step. Since you had such a bad experience you should let them know when you go. The urologist is definitely going to want a urine sample to test both the urine's contents and to see if any bacteria is in it. If there is bacteria, they are going to test it further to see exactly what kind of bacteria. Different antibiotics treat different types of bacteria. Since you are constantly having these problems, it could be that you have a less common bacteria that they do not routinely treat and / or other doctors do not usually look for.

Beyond the urine, the urologist will probably order an ultrasound of your bladder and kidneys. From there, they may order additional diagnostic imaging such as an MRI or something like that. There is a possibility that they will want to look inside your bladder. If they do, you need to remind them of your previous experience so they can make sure you are comfortable and willing to have the test. You as the patient are the leader of your medical treatment. If you do not like something, you have the right to say, "No" or "stop."

I hope that helps.

Closed Thread