It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
(female)

tinydancer85 HB User
Unhappy Rare and persistent UTI! Please help!

Hello everyone, thanks for reading. For the past 8 weeks, I have been battling a UTI. I am a 26 year old female with no underlying medical conditions or urinary abnormalities that I am aware of and I am not currently sexually active. When my symptoms first set in, I bought AZO test strips and began taking some extra Cipro that I had laying around. (7 days worth) The Azo test came up loaded with leukocytes and no nitrite. I finished the Cipro and was still symptomatic. Made an appt with my GP. His dipstick came up negative. He scripted out Bactrim(since I was symptomatic) and sent out a C&S. C&S came back 2 days later with an infection of Staphylococcus epidermidis 10,000 - 50,000 CFU/mL. This bacteria is not commonly found in urine unless in a hospital setting, catheter use or shunt(none apply to me) This is resistant to: Cipro, Penicillin and Trimethoprim/Sulfa/Bactrim. The only oral meds that it is susceptible to are tetracyclines and Rifampin. Was told to stop the Bactrim and got a script for Doxycycline 100 mg BID for 10 days. Didn't work and Azo test strip came up raging for leukocytes again. Went back to GP. Dipstick was another false negative. (I think their strips are defective or something) Sent out culture(came back false neg from the first set of Doxy) and gave me 10 more days of Doxy 100 mg BID to combine with Rifampin 200 mg, BID, also for 10 days. Also, Pyridium 200 mg TID for 3 days. I finish tomorrow and I am still horribly symptomatic. Azo test strip tonight showed leukocytes yet again. I have no back pain, no fever, no nausea, no vomiting etc. Just bladder pressure, urgency to urinate, burning, etc. I do not feel confident that bladder stones are the culprit since there is no blood in the urine and I'm female. Dr. said that I will have to pursue IV drugs if the Rifampin and Doxy don't work because those are the only oral meds offered for this bacteria. Will probably be getting a CT scan of the abdomen and meeting with a urologist. Need advice for treatment or if anyone knows WHY these antibiotics aren't working?! Makes no sense and I am very frustrated!! Don't have insurance and can only imagine what having this port in my arm for several days to go to a hospital for an IV push-through will cost plus the CT scan and urologist, etc. And how Staphylococcus epidermidis got in my ut, I have no idea. Frustrated and need help!

The following user gives a hug of support to tinydancer85:
Ksusha77 (07-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
(female)

tinydancer85 HB User
Re: Rare and persistent UTI! Please help!

46 views and no one has any ideas? Well this sounds promising...

Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

ElleDi HB User

I'm not up on all the various drugs, etc for treating these problems but my initial reaction is: if the drugs aren't working to cure an infection, then could it be it's not an infection, or not ONLY an infection?

I had some serious bladder pain for about 10 days- pressure, burning discomfort after I peed, generally feeling rundown and fatigued. I tried AZO, and 2 bottles of sugarfree cranberry juice (very sour!) and felt no relief.

I was getting ready to make a doctor's appointment but was hesitant because it didn't "feel" like a UTI to me. Everyone was saying that's what it was (UTI), but I was hesitant because my symptoms weren't getting worse, nor were they getting better. I kept looking at UTI symptoms thinking they don't quite sound right. I also looked up yeast infection (no), vaginitis (no) and other related problems but nothing "fit".

I researched various remedies for "bladder pressure" and read about drinking apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons), baking soda (1 tablespoon) in a big glass of water. Within an hour-- no kidding-- it was gone! I've had about 5 glasses over the last 2-3 days just to be safe and all the symptoms have disappeared completely. No pain, no pressure, no burning, no feeling achy and run down. The relief was instant.

I did not have an infection or UTI.

Apparently, my body had become too acidic (my diet changed drastically over the last month), which can give you a whole host of problems, generally in your bladder and UT, including making you very susceptible to infection. Apple cider vinegar and baking soda are pure alkaline, which brings your pH levels back into balance.

Since you're in the midst of medical treatment, etc. I suggest you give it a try. It certainly can't hurt and in your case, it wouldn't be replacing medical attention.

Just an idea. It worked for me, so with any luck, it might help! Let me know if you try it.

Meanwhile, you can Google "acidic body symptoms" .
Take care and hugs for your recovery.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User

Hi
I'm sorry that I'm not going to be of great help but I just wanted to say I feel your pain because I am going through the pain of bladder infections right now and have been since last year September. I've been on antibiotics on and off, and if before antibiotics used to treat my infection AND symptoms, right now I am confused because I always have the same symptoms even when my urine culture comes back negative. I have bacteria in my urine every month and sometimes more than once a month. I get antibiotics, and sometimes the bacteria is gone but sometimes they become resistant to the prescribed antibiotic and I need another round. But I don't remember when I last felt like myself anymore. I do have, however, get infected with a different kind of bacteria than was found in your urine. It's whether E.coli or Enterococus faecalis. But I have also noticed I get them more after having sexual intercourse. And I have tried nearly all remedies to no avail.
I truly hope this problem gets resolved for you and you feel better.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
(female)

jameszeee HB User

Hello,

I had the exact same results in my urinalysis, the same numbers you listed, and I would like to know how you are doing now and how things turned out.

Thank you

Last edited by moderator2; 07-25-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
female, gram positive, staphylococcus epidermidis, uti