It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

acatnamedeaster HB User
Blood in urine without an infection present

Last month I went for a routine physical and during the urine dipstick test they discovered a large amount of blood. Not enough to be seen by the naked eye but the test strip read that it was a large amount.

The physician gave me an antibiotic to treat any possible infection and then told me to come back in a month for a follow up.

I'll add that at the time I took the test I had some light spotting due to my period being due in a couple of days.

All of my tests and bloodwork came back fine and there was no bladder infection present that may have accounted for the blood in my urine. The doctor wasn't too concerned since she felt it may have been caused by my oncoming period.

I went for my follow up today and there's still blood in my urine, a trace amount this time but still there.

I'm very worried about this. My doctor doesn't seem overly concerned since my bloodwork was perfect but I'm 39 years old and a smoker; I know that puts me at risk for bladder cancer.

My doctor is sending in my urine for a complete work up but in the meantime I am beside myself with fear. My mother says she's gone through the same issue only to have her bleeding end up being unexplained even after going through scans and cystoscopy, there was just no cause for it. Her urine still tests positive for blood years later.

Is this sort of thing common? I was hesitant to go see a doctor for a routine physical at all (I usually just go to a yearly gyno exam) since I was afraid of what might be found and now I know I'm in for a good week or two of being worried sick waiting to find out what's wrong.

Last edited by acatnamedeaster; 06-17-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
(female)

blackberrybunny HB User
Re: Blood in urine without an infection present

I have been having trouble getting my stream to start, so I kept asking my doctor to perform urinalysis on me. A test came back that indicated some blood in my urine, but no infection. I ended up having a cystoscopy last Thursday (for another reason), and when I came home, I decided to watch some YouTube videos of other people's cystoscopies. One showed a man who had the same complaint--- no infection, but a small amount of blood in his urine. Using the cystoscope, the urologist was able to see a very small blood vessel was torn (and leaking a little bit of blood) into his bladder. The urologist simply cauterized the broken vessel and that was the end of that. I'm not a doctor, so I can't say if this is what is wrong with you also, but it might be worth looking into.

My cystoscopy, by the way, didn't find any broken blood vessels in my bladder, so I don't know why it was showing up in my urine. An ultrasound also found an 'abnormal growth and atypical cells in my bladder" by my urologist found neither.

I'm so tired of doctors......... one doctor says this, the other doctor says that.... and I'm left still wondering what in the hell is wrong with me!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

Grannydora HB User

Hi Blackberry Bunny

Did you get a diagnosis. I have a similar thing going on

Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

blackberrybunny HB User

Nope. My doctor could not find the problem. But after the cystoscopy and after he stretched my urethra, I had pain in my bladder's sphincter muscle for over a month. I guess it has been a mont now, maybe 5 weeks, and it has finally gone away. My stream starts now pretty much normally, sometimes there is a pause if I think someone is listening, like in a public bathroom---I will always say I have a 'shy bladder', but otherwise, everything is back to normal. I have a few doses of Peridium pills left, the ones that treat bladder and urethra pain, and I'll finish those and boy, do they make your urine a bright orange color, nearly red!

Also, when I went back in for my second visit, to see how I was doing, this was at about the third week, initially they thought I had an infection. But when they sent my urine off to the lab, the cultures they were looking for had never grown. So maybe there was no infection to begin with? I don't know, GrannyDora, its just been frustrating all around. But at least now I am feeling almost normal again. Hope you get to feeling better soon too. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
(male)

Noah Mark HB User

I've had that happen to me. I would have your doctor check you for kidney stones. That is what caused the blood in my urine.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
(female)

needhelp10 HB User

I had the exact same problem for months (still do). Something you might wanna get checked out is a CT Scan. Turned out I had Medullary Sponge Kidney (something you have since you were born).

Reply Reply