It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
(male)

Eddie80 HB User
Complications after Turp Surgery of Prostate

Hello. I had prostate surgery using Bipolar Vaporization TURP procedure two months ago. I was feeling better, but a month later I had to visit the Emergency room, because my bladder was not emptying urine again. ER nurse had to re-insert a catheter again for one week. A week later, when I visited my Urologist, I was told that "my bladder muscle maybe weak, and there is no surgery or medication to repair this issue or it might be that bladder muscle may need to relax again for it to function". I was then given a self-catheter that I use in the morning and at night to empty urine. It is about 400ML. During the day, I void without the assistance of the catheter. I have to go for another check up in 6 weeks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue where their bladder muscle is weak and causing them problems after this type of surgery? I appreciate your responses?

The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie80 For This Useful Post:
kweyanga (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

Kooklet HB User
Re: Complications after Turp Surgery of Prostate

Hi Eddie,
You've probably not seen some of my earlier posts, but I was posting for my dad who underwent TURP in Jan 11. His bladder muscles had gotten very weak from the strain of the enlarged prostate - so much so that the urologist kept him with catheter for 4 weeks followed by 1 week of self-catheterisation after which he again got a major urinary infection which needed hospitalisation.

The urologist wasn't expecting his bladder to start work on its own for 6 MONTHS based on the condition of the bladder muscles.

However, we had started homoeopathic treatment immediately after surgery and we used the remedy Causticum in different potencies. After 6 weeks of the surgery, in fact, just before the second hospitalisation, the urologist said he doesn't need the catheter any longer. Even though the stream was not strong initially, but it picked up and the bladder is working fine again. There is still some night frequency - he goes 3-4 times a night, but that's ok.

It wouldn't be wise to self-medicate but a homeopath in your area should be able to guide you to a suitable remedy and potency and dosage. Causticum is fairly specific for bladder muscle weakness esp. after being stretched too much, so maybe it will be indicated in your case too - your homeopath should guide.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kooklet For This Useful Post:
Eddie80 (07-08-2011), kweyanga (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
(male)

Eddie80 HB User

Thank you for your response. I will explore this option.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
(male)

Jet Mech HB User

I had the TURP done 4 weeks ago yesterday.My follow up is not for two weeks.While I don't think I am retaining urine,I have noticed that my urine stream doesn't cut off as well.I will sometimes get a dribble afterwards and it can be up to 2 or 3 minutes after finishing. Unfortunately,I have already zipped up so I get moist underwear all day.Also, I'm getting a burning or stinging sensation still.Any one else having same issues?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

sydelle HB User
Question Re: Complications after Turp Surgery of Prostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie80 View Post
Hello. I had prostate surgery using Bipolar Vaporization TURP procedure two months ago. I was feeling better, but a month later I had to visit the Emergency room, because my bladder was not emptying urine again. ER nurse had to re-insert a catheter again for one week. A week later, when I visited my Urologist, I was told that "my bladder muscle maybe weak, and there is no surgery or medication to repair this issue or it might be that bladder muscle may need to relax again for it to function". I was then given a self-catheter that I use in the morning and at night to empty urine. It is about 400ML. During the day, I void without the assistance of the catheter. I have to go for another check up in 6 weeks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue where their bladder muscle is weak and causing them problems after this type of surgery? I appreciate your responses?
My husband had TURP 4 months ago and is now retaining 100 cc's of urine. Doctor wants to cut his bladder again and make it wider. He says his bladder is about to close up. I don't think it's his muscle though. Good luck, I hope your bladder muscle gets stronger.

The Following User Says Thank You to sydelle For This Useful Post:
kweyanga (11-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
(male)

soul2soul HB User
Unhappy Re: Complications after Turp Surgery of Prostate

Hello I'm Danny and I'M 16 days after TURP surgery,I am very sad to say that my condition seems worse hard to get started very weak stream,bit of pain,and it seems I've lost all pressure to let the urine fly,If things don't improve soon I will be going to court does anyone have any understanding of what's happening to me.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
(male)

soul2soul HB User

Eddie don't believe everything they say.they may have stuffed up the procedure I would get another opinion

Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
(female)

sydelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul2soul View Post
Hello I'm Danny and I'M 16 days after TURP surgery,I am very sad to say that my condition seems worse hard to get started very weak stream,bit of pain,and it seems I've lost all pressure to let the urine fly,If things don't improve soon I will be going to court does anyone have any understanding of what's happening to me.
Hi Danny:
I'm sorry this happened to you. My husband had TURP on November 28, 2011 and he did very well unlike yourself. However 4 months later after his follow-up he was told that his bladder is about to close up due to the scar tissue that formed. So, then he needed additional surgery to open the space even wider and now we are just hoping for the best outcome. He seems okay now but of course the doctor doesn't guarantee anything now either.
I think you need a second opinion. That's what I would do. It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. If you have a good doctor now, he shouldn't be against it. Good luck to you.
Sydelle

Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
(male)

soul2soul HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul2soul View Post
Eddie don't believe everything they say.they may have stuffed up the procedure I would get another opinion
thios is not souil to soul

Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
(male)

soul2soul HB User
Question Re: Complications after Turp Surgery of Prostate

Can anyone relate that 4 weeks after turp surgery I'M still a little sore when i go and I go often but very medium amount it seems as though it cuts off halfway through my urination and it still burns a little will this subside?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
(male)

bulldogg7903 HB User

I had surgery a week ago and I am having the same problems.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
(male)

bulldogg7903 HB User

I had prostate surgery using Bipolar Vaporization TURP procedure done on Friday, July 6, 2012. I am on my tenth day after surgery and I donít seem to be getting much better. My urine stream is very weak and I have pain in my lower back. I have to urinate every hour and it is difficult to get any sleep. Also my urethra burns after and during urination. I donít feel that I have emptied my bladder after urinating. I also have leakage afterwards and I have resorted to wearing a depends.
What I am experiencing now is much worse than any episode that I had with my prostate issues before. If I could turn back the clock ten days I would definitely not go through with the surgery. I donít believe that I was fully informed by my doctor of the possible side effects or complications of the surgery. My life is on hold because of this.
The wreck hitting a deer on the way to the hospital should have been a sign to postpone or delay the surgery. I wish I had found this board before doing the surgery.
Could someone who has had this surgery please tell me if this is normal

Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
(male)

richrol HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
I had the TURP done 4 weeks ago yesterday.My follow up is not for two weeks.While I don't think I am retaining urine,I have noticed that my urine stream doesn't cut off as well.I will sometimes get a dribble afterwards and it can be up to 2 or 3 minutes after finishing. Unfortunately,I have already zipped up so I get moist underwear all day.Also, I'm getting a burning or stinging sensation still.Any one else having same issues?
My TURP was done a week ago. I was starting to do well, with a strong stream about 3 days ago. Now I have to go about every hour; the stream is weaker and have the same trouble as you; dripping afterward, and I never seem to completely finish. I called my doctor and was tested for infection. The test came back positive so now am on antibiotics. If they don't fix the problem, I understand there are meds that can relax your bladder. Hopefully something will work, because right now things aren't good.

I do think anyone having this kind of problem should have a urine sample taken to check for infection because if left alone this could be life threatening.

I hope you're doing better now.

Closed Thread