It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User
epididymectomy in 5 days

Hello fellahs. I too am jumping on the band wagon and I have my epididymectomy on one testicle in 5 days. I am nervious as I have never had surgery, ever. And I have some symptoms of sleep apnea, however, my urologist doesnt seem too concerned. But, I cant live with this pain either.

I have had pain symptoms since the end of Nov-2010. Mid to later december the pain become more severe and stagnent. I have had a ct scan, two ultrasounds, several examinations, took cipro too. I work at a job that does a lot of heavy lifting, I bike and lift weights. So, of course when this pain gradually made itself noticable, I and my docotor thought it was due to a tear or hernai. Hernia check six times, nothing (I also had one from the ER and another physican, all found no symptoms of hernia)The tests do not show any swelling or anything, but the pain is so extreme sometimes, even with meds. When the doc examines the top right testicel in a certain spot, it feels like he's twisting my flippin testicle off. He had previously talked about cord block some other options, however, we eventually determined the pain was coming from only one place, and that which was from the right epididymis. They did find a small cyst as well, which they will remove too.

This pain has been terrible. I cannot do anything physical w/o it agitating the pain. I havent done anything physical going on 7 weeks now, and yet, the pain is right there, never leaves. Obvioulsy it hurts more when the doctor examines and applies pressure to the area, which its one of the top worse pains I have ever experinced (right up there w/ bad tooth pain).

I will update my progress. Its nice to see ppl coming back and updating, its helpful and brings some hope for the next guy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
(male)

k6tlc HB User
Re: epididymectomy

It has been 3 months for me now and I am glad that I had the procedure. Pain in the testi and abdomen is minimal and very infrequent. All swelling is gone and incision/scar is back to normal and hardly visible. I too had never been through any kind of surgery. Looking back, if I had to do it again, I would not have any reservations, fear or anxiety. My experience was great. Good luck with your surgery and I hope that it helps as much as mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to k6tlc For This Useful Post:
foxi (08-12-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6tlc View Post
It has been 3 months for me now and I am glad that I had the procedure. Pain in the testi and abdomen is minimal and very infrequent. All swelling is gone and incision/scar is back to normal and hardly visible. I too had never been through any kind of surgery. Looking back, if I had to do it again, I would not have any reservations, fear or anxiety. My experience was great. Good luck with your surgery and I hope that it helps as much as mine.
I had a question, I'm not certain you answered this in previous posts, but, after your surgery, when did you know the pain was gone? I mean, I am very familiar with the pain. Although I try to not think of it, I can almost certainly tell when there are changes. Is this something you noticed right away? Or did it take a while for healing before you noticed?

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
(male)

k6tlc HB User

When I returned home from the surgery, I was concerned about any pain meds/anesthesia wearing off. For me, the pain was gone immediately after the surgery and has not returned. The most painful part of the procedure was the first week after suregery, when I would have to stand and walk. Sitting and laying down the pain was zero. Once I got up, there was bad throbing as if blood was rushing into the area. once I was up for a bit, it too would subside (similar to a "brain freeze").

My doctor would have done me in and my wife almost did, knowing that by the 4th or 5th day, I mowed the yard and moved a refrgierator. I am not one to just sit at home so I was relieved to see how easily I wore out for about the first 2-3 weeks. It made it easy to want to be in bed.

I hope this helps. Nothing to worry about. I will be curious to see your experience.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

"My doctor would have done me in and my wife almost did, knowing that by the 4th or 5th day, I mowed the yard and moved a refrgierator. I am not one to just sit at home so I was relieved to see how easily I wore out for about the first 2-3 weeks"

LOL, ha ha, I feel you 100%. I've been diciplined for 6-7 weeks now. Granted I can do some things, but certainly not what I used to be able to do. W/ the absence of pain, it would be rather tempting to do things I havent done in almost two months! I attempted to do a bike ride this past weekend w/ all the nice weather and my father n some friends guilted me out of idea!

Thank you for answering my questions. Your advice has been helpful and I will update my progress. It was hard enough for me to find a current and live thread with this issue, and I hope by updating this thread will help others.

Take care.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
(male)

k6tlc HB User

I also wanted to mention that during my research, I came accross a procedure that was called a microsurgical cord denervation. Seems to be highly specialized and not all that available. When I asked my urologist, only days prior to the surgery, he was very willing to postpone the surgery so I could further research or persue that option. Though he was not familiar with it, he was intrigued by the article that I provided him. I do not regret not taking more time to research, since my outcome has been so good. This procedure would have some benefits over the epididymectomy.

Last edited by k6tlc; 02-14-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6tlc View Post
I also wanted to mention that during my research, I came accross a procedure that (I think) was called a microsurgical cord denervation. Seems to be highly specialized and not all that available. When I asked my urologist, only days prior to the surgery, he was very willing to postpone the surgery so I could further research or persue that option. Though he was not familiar with it, he was intrigued by the article that I provided him. I do not regret not taking more time to research, since my outcome has been so good. This procedure would have some very aubvious benefits over the epididymectomy.
Yes, I have read about this. There are a few places that do this. One of the hospitals I found was in FL. I am sure they are elsewhere too. I was concerned if insurance would cover the procedure as well, the cost even if it did. LOL, the whole process looked nice but I seen shiny price tags everywhere. I believe it had a 82-87 percent succession rate. I mean that is good compared to what an epididymectomy might do.

I found a health journal article through my school regarding chronic epididyitmis pain. Succession of the epididymectomy procedure was from 67-87 percent cured or much improvement, depending on factors such as whether there were abnormalities, cysts, present swelling or infections, vasectomies, and no present issues. Unfortunately, chronic epididymis pain (w/ no abnormalities present) only resulted in a 67% for much improved or cured pain. This was a 2007 report based in 143 patients being seen by six different urologists.

Last edited by roycedafive9; 02-14-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
(male)

k6tlc HB User

Yes, that all sounds very familiar. My case was pretty straight forward with no abnormalities present. My epididymitis was as a result of heavy lifting, best my Dr. and I could figure. This resulted in scar tissue that was causing pain. It felt like I had a pair of pliers clamped to my testi most of the time. I also had pain radiate into my abdomen up to the bottom of my rib cage. This too I feel like was causing digestion problems, that only after the surgery did I realize. Since the surgery my bowel movements are regular and fulfilling (?), if thats the right word. Before the surgery, I would feel as though I would have to use the restroom and walk out feeling as though I still needed to. It was like the abdominal pain was causing a bloating feeling of sorts. Has this been your experience at all?

As you stated, the success rate for these conditions was much lower. In my research I found reports of pain getting better or staying the same. I was not able to find any reports of the pain getting worse. This too gave me encouragement. I could deal with the pain staying the same if that was the worst case scenario. Of course it is still a gamble.

And yes, I came to the same resolution as you, regarding the denervation.

Sorry for any grotesqueness in this post. But I feel the information is very relevant. Looks like your surgery is on Wednesday, is that correct?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

"My epididymitis was as a result of heavy lifting, best my Dr. and I could figure. This resulted in scar tissue that was causing pain." Ha, this very well could be my issue too. Itís very hard to tell, as I worked for a furniture company, lol, I was lifting 200 lbs couches up stairs and everything else. Plus lifting at home (free weights). My urologist did not find the cyst or (bump) until after several exams. Meaning, it was so small he missed it, or, it had formed over the months or both perhaps. They could see the cyst on the ultra sound, it was very small and in the pain area, however, it was hard to determine if that is what was causing the pain. Iíve read that cysts can sometimes result from injuries too.

"Pliers" and everyone you tell about it just cannot fathom exactly how bad the pain is, right? This whole ordeal has flipped my world upside down. It is insane to realize how such a small area, can create such life changing pain!

At first it was very hard for the urologist and I to determine where the pain was coming from. It has always felt sensitive at the top of the testicle; however, wearing compressing garments (I.E. bike shorts or briefs) would cause this very uncomfortable pain from the bottom of the testicle. And I was still working several weeks dealing with the pain, so the pain was always indulged in my whole scrotum area at times. But settling down made it easy to isolate the pain area, as before it would just radiate every where, back, abdomen, sides, other testicle. My urologist spent a lot of time checking the spermatic cord and always checking for hernia and/or pain indicating a tear in the muscle, but w/ no success.

Did you have complete anesthesia, with breathing tube?, or something else?

ďSorry for any grotesqueness in this post. But I feel the information is very relevant.Ē No apologies necessary, itís a health problem and details are essential! I have had inconsistence bowl movements, which has kind of returned normal. I think a lot was from the stress of sever and consistent pain.

Yeah, this Wednesday. It will happen. I have a sleep apnea issue I have to address and as long as I get assurance this matter will be closely monitored, I will go through with the procedure.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
(male)

k6tlc HB User

Yes, I was actually given the option if I wanted local or general anesthesia. I opted for general with breathing tube, since the thought of someone having control over inficting pain can sometimes make me pass out. That was a very lovely nap..lol. No pain from the breathing tube, just that I lost my voice for a couple hours.

For me, the entire epididymis was swollen and very easy to find. I never had any sort of imaging done however. I am guessing because it was so obvious to the doctors. Well if you have any last minute questions, I will check in after work. Otherwise good luck, nothing to sweat as far as the procedure is concerned and I hope it resolves the issues.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

k6tlc -

I really appreciate your shared experince and answering my questions! It really has been a great help. I cant really think of anything else, thanks for offering though!!

I guess I have a couple Post op questions; how much swelling should I expect, Im certain it very from person to person, but just curious? And where you okay to wear boxer briefs? Or did you find a supporter of some type more beneficial?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
(male)

k6tlc HB User

I took Greens advice on the freezer Gel style packs. They were very convenient and form well. I would recommend no less than two or three of these so you can rotate them. I normally wear boxer brief style shorts but found them too loose fitting. I went to the local sports store and bought several "Athletic Supporters" (aka jock strap) which were only about $4 a piece. I found that anything too loose made me realize just how sensitive I still was. I wore these for about a month after wards.

My swelling was not bad at all. Maybe an increase of about 1.5 times original size. In fact the doctor was impressed too. I feel this was mostly due to my diligence with the cold packs. The swelling did not cause any pain or discomfort for me. Only recently has the swelling gone away. Also recently, the incision finally felt as though it stretched back to normal and the discomfort from it has subsided.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

Awesome! I hope my concerns and apnea issues are addressed, because that is about the only thing that is of greatest concern to me right now, lol, ive seem to manage all my other anxieties for now. From what I've read it seems apnea is easy to keep in check, especially if the anethesologist knows prior to surgery. I've read where people never knew they had apnea until they had sugery! None the less you have been a great help. I will be back on here and post how things went. Thanks aagain and take care.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
(male)

roycedafive9 HB User

Well, it has been day four since my surgery. The surgery went very well, and like you had stated, it was really a breeze. After coming to, as my urologist had stated, I was in some pain. I was evenutally sent home w/ some pain meds and a follow the following Wednesday.

The surgery consisted of a partial epididiymis removal and two cysts. The only part of the epididymis that was removed was where one of the cysts had been. My doctor stated he did not want to remove any more that necessary, as removing the entire epididymis would require longer healing time, etc.

Day four after surgery, the incision pain has almost completely subsided. The pain however is really iffy. Deep down some of the pain feels like it had before. I cannot determine if its surgery pain or the original pain or pain from where the surgery occured. I am kind of concerned at ths point because my doctor's notes state I should be able to lift and return to work after tomorrow. But as strong as this pain is, it would be unrealistic unless I dose myself up on pain meds, which obviiously is not correcting the problem.

I am tryign to be optimistic. I see my urologist in a few days, I guess I can adress these concerns and see what comes of it. Regardless however, as I stated I will keep updateing this thread. It has to be something, there has to be some treatment to fix this w/o removing my flippin testicle. Maybe I am beign too impatient too..

Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
(male)

k6tlc HB User

Good to hear that the surgery went well. I am suprised to hear that the Dr. is releasing you so soon for work. It was recommended to me that I take six weeks off from work. Luckily I convinced him to see me in three and release me then. I am surprised to hear that you are still in as much pain. I am guessing the next step would be a complete epididymectomy? Maybe that would resolve the issue. Stay patient and keep updating. I am curious to find out what happens.

Closed Thread