It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

adeline726 HB User
Chronic UTI

I have been getting Chronic UTI's for 3 years. I am getting right now 2 every month. I am at the end of my rope. I have been to 3 urologists, and 2 infectious disease doctors. No answers, no one know why. When i go on antibiotics i get sick from them, its worse then the infection. I did go on a preventative antibiotic but got a secondary infection and to go back on a full dose of a different pill because it was a different bacteria.Is there ANY one eles with this same problem???? Thanks for any info!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
(female)

JessicaFrost HB User
Re: Chronic UTI

I understand your feeling. Chronic UTI is really difficult to be cured. Antibiotics is of course useful.But it still has its shortcoming which is that it can bring out drug resistance to the bacteria, making the bacteria hard to be kulled.Maybe you can try some Traditional Chinese medicine. Diuretic and Anti-inflammatory Pill is derived from natural plants and herbs essences, which is just like the vegetables we eat in our daily life. It has modulating effect with nutrition and absolutely no side effects and drug resistance. The western medicines that you often take are chemicals. They will develop resistance, so it's difficult to eradicate chronic diseases. After one month of treatment, the symptoms will be reduced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
(female)

mar55 HB Usermar55 HB User

Hi Adeline726,
I live about 12 miles from your city!! Quite a small world!!

I have had recurring UTI's for the past 3 years also. My doctor in Monroe told me that the urine clears very fast with anti-biotic, but the bladder wall sometimes takes a lot more time to clear up. I have been on medicine for about 50 days since April. Cipro did not work and now Bactrim seems to be, but after the 1st course of treatment it came back, so he put me on it for a longer amount of time. Plus, lots and lots of water to wash away the bacteria in the bladder. When they culture your urine, they should be able to tell your doctor which kind of medicine will work to kill it. I think you need a longer treatment time and just have to deal with the side effects from the medication. Maybe take it with food or maybe a lower dose. Then there is the yeast infection that is quite common with taking anti-biotics.

I know it is hard to deal with this stuff, but don't give up. You have to keep trying to get rid of it before it goes further into your kidneys. Good luck to you and keep us posted as to the outcome.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-08-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

adeline726 HB User

Mar55 Hi, What a small world! I tried so hard to stay on the Cipro for the month, because just like you said the Infectious Disease Dr. said i needed a longer treatment, but after the second week, I had lost 7lb and was so sick I couldn't even leave the house. Do you get any negative side effects from the antibiotics? I want to try Bactrium, but because 30 years ago, I had a little slight swelling of my lips from it, they won't let me try it. This week I started a low dose of Macrobid 100mg a day, but I feel like I might be getting another infection already. Are you on a maintanance dose right now? Were you getting the UTI's as often as me? I am so sorry for all the questions, but I feel like this is consuming my life, I am so tired of not feeling well, and my friends that have not gone through this, just don't understand why I never feel good or doing things like I used too. I have been drinking lots of water, taking all pills till there done (except the Cipro which was supposed to be a month and i only made it 16 days). If you have any other tips from your Dr.'s please let me know. Thank-you so much for taking the time to write me! I know this sounds terrible but these infections are truely ruining and changing my life. Thanks!!! Adeline

Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
(female)

Sarjon HB User
Re: Chronic UTI D-Mannose worked for mine!!!

I hope this finds you well. I too suffered from chronic UTIs and at one point, was told the bacteria was resistant to nearly every antibiotic (after I'd been taking several)

I tried everything...long term use of Bactrim, daily cranberry juice, macrobid..etc etc. They always returned.

I was blessed to come across an article about D-Mannose. It is a powdery white extract derived from birch bark, referred to as a naturally occuring sugar...I know it sounds strange, but it tastes sweet, almost like sacharrin. It dissolves in water.

Since most UTIs are e-coli based, Dmannose was my super cure. Instead of the e-coli attaching itself to the wall of your bladder, it attches itself to the d-mannose particles, and your body pees out the ecoli w/ the d mannose. Simple, almost too simple, but it cured me!!! Please read testimonies, and if you suffer from ecoli based UTI's, it could help you. It's an over the counter supplement, and I bought a few large jars.

Unlike antibiotics, the dmannose won't become resistant to the ecoli.

I started taking it several times a day at first, then weened down to just once before bed. I've been UTI free for almost two years, the longest stretch in my life. Read online for dosage,

As always, consult your doctor before adding anything new to your regime. Since it was a natural sugar, I just ordered some and gave it a shot. So glad I did. There are tons of articles, many written by MD's.

H

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
(female)

Sarjon HB User
Google D-Mannose for ecoli-based UTI's

I wanted to add one more thing: Call your doctor and have them tell you what kind of bacteria is causing your uti's. If it is ecoli, D-mannose could help. But if it's a different bacteria, it won't. Most uti's are from ecoli, but you should check w/ your doctor first.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
(female)

adeline726 HB User
Re: Google D-Mannose for ecoli-based UTI's

Sarjon, My bacteria is sometimes E-Coli and sometimes Klebisila(wrong spelling). I did try last year the D_Mannose pill, is that different then what you are telling me about. I did not have luck with it, but probably because of the different bacteria. Twice i had both bacteria at once and to take 2 different antibiotics at once. Thanks for the info!! Adeline

Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
(female)

Sarjon HB User

Hi again,
I can't imagine the pills could have enough in them to do much. I read a whole blog by a doctor who has had a lot of success w/ the powder. One little girl had been suffering her whole life, he had her drinking it every couple hours at first, then weened her down.
I never asked a doctor how much I could take, since it is a simple sugar, I started every few hours as well with a teaspoon. Then weened down once I felt healthy and had no discomfort.

I agree, if it's not e-coli, it won't work. It only binds w/ ecoli. But if you HAVE had ecoli infections in the past, it wouldn't hurt to try again, this time with the powdered form. You might need a lot more than a capsule...I sure did.

I buy the NOW brand of D-Mannose Powder. I have also used other brands. They all seem to be the exact same in terms of product.

I can't help but wonder if you can get infection free for a while, you just won't have one again. I had a few 'other' bacterias as well, I think it was because my ureter was inflamed from all the uti's and would just accept bacteria more easily, like from the pool, gym, etc. Once I healed up and was infection free, and kept my dmannose going (nighttime only now) I have felt great!!!

As an aside, one more tip:
To make sure I'm extra clean (you know this topic, of course) I use an antibacterial wipe after a b.m. Sorry for tmi, but I read that keeping that area really clean keeps the bacteria from 'walking' over to the other parts. I don't love using them, but after the D mannose fixed things, I try to keep the ecoli from making a comeback.

Hope this helps!!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
(female)

adeline726 HB User

Sarjon, Thanks for all the info. Do you buy the D-mannose on line or at health food store? Thanks, Adeline

Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
(female)

Hi Neighbor,
Happy Heat!!

I started UTI's 3 years ago. Once every year and then I have a hard time getting rid of them, but they eventually go away until the next year. I wonder where I'm picking them up, and asked the doc. He said that as we age, our resistence lowers and it's easier to get them.

I had no side effects with Cipro at all. But as soon as I stopped the medicine, the symptoms came back. Second urine culture still showed infection, so I was then put on Bactrim. Took all the medicine and then went back to doc and told him that as soon as I'm off the meds, it comes back (back ache and frequent dark urine, and nausea). He then told me about the bladder needing further medicine and put me back on more Bactrim, only 1 per day instead of 2 to try and heal the bladder. It does cause nausea, but I eat when I take it and if I do get nausea, I try and eat something to overcome it. I've never taken maintenance drugs before, and I hope that I don't have to. Hopefully after this dose, I will be better!!

I know all about life style changes. I'm scared to go swimming, hot tub, pool, etc.. because I do not know how I'm getting this. Plus, I've been told by doc to stay away from soft drinks (the worse things you can drink) and caffeine. He said to drink water or lemonade. Hopefully this time I can get back to normal. Keep drinking that WATER to cleanse that bladder!!!!
Keep cool.
Mar

Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
(female)

Sarjon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeline726 View Post
Sarjon, Thanks for all the info. Do you buy the D-mannose on line or at health food store? Thanks, Adeline
I just buy it online, and I buy two at a time.

I took 1 teaspoon in a few ounces of water (NO citrus juice...that is what I read somewhere) every two hours for the first few days until I felt better.

If you don't feel better within 24 hours, then it's probably not a ecoli bacteria, and you should see your doc for antibiotics. I always felt better within eight to ten hours...meaning pain during urination started to disappear.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarjon For This Useful Post:
adeline726 (07-22-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
(female)

adeline726 HB User

Hi Mar! I hope you do well and your infections are gone! I am on the preventative just since last week, and I already feel like I am getting an infection. I have been drinking nothing but water, the gyno dr. put me back on estrogyn, because he thought that might be the problem, I have been trying everything I read. I have an appointment Tuesday with the infectious disease dr. at HF Downtown, I just am so worried about getting resistant to the antibiotics. Keep me posted onhow you are feeling! Take care, Adeline

Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #13
(female)

OK, Adeline, I'm off to Cleveland to my daughters for the weekend. Will catch you next week when we return. Keep cool and drink, drink, drink!!
Mar

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #14
(female)

adeline726 HB User

Have fun and enjoy your daughters!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #15
(female)

Hi Adeline
Went to doc and he seemed please with my progress. However, he wants me to drink 8 glasses of water a day to continue shrugging off the bacteria in the bladder. I take the bactrim for 10 more days. As long as I do not get the symptoms of infection back, I return to him in one month for a urine test. If the symptoms return, I"m to go back immediately and he will do a cysto to see what's going on in the bladder.

I also asked him if I could go swimming. His answer was "no" not for at least 2 more weeks and not in a lake at all. Going on vacation next week, so that is a bummer!!

Hopefully HF downtown is helping you. I have HAP, which is also HF, but I deal in Monroe. Keep me informed as to your progress. Guess I won't have much to say for awhile until I come off of the bactrim and see what's next!! Good Luck.
Mar

Closed Thread