It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
(male)

pgjohnson HB User
urethral stricture surgery question

Hi All,

I am a 36 yr old male. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture and at the end of July I had a visual internal urethrotomy. Well... the stricture is back and now I have to make a choice as to what surgery I want to have next. I can either have another VIU which the surgeon says will have 50% chance of success in clearing the stricture. Or I can go for a urethral reconstruction which he says will have a 80-90% chance of success. I am a little daunted by the recovery period of the reconstruction but I also like the chance of success much better. I am on the fence as to what I want to do right now.

Any advice or opinions from people who have gone through this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
(male)

chillipulp HB User
Re: urethral stricture surgery question

Do not believe that 50% cure rate on a repeat urethrotomy. That's not true.

Under ideal conditions, with the nicest possible strictures, you might hope for that on a first urethrotomy, but not a repeat. You've already had recurrence in just a few months; you can't expect repeat urethrotomies to deliver better results.

You might get an 80-90% durable success rate with an anastomotic urethroplasty - simply excising the strictured section, if it's short enough; though having urethrotomies tends to extend the stricture. With substitution procedures, like a buccal mucosa graft, there is an attrition rate over the long term, though still far better long-term success rates than more urethrotomies.

In my own case, after failed urethrotomies, I had urethroplasty with buccal mucosa graft in 2006, on two strictures (the original one, and another one resulting from the previous surgery). Doing well so far.

I am always horrified when I read the experiences of people who keep on having urethrotomies and dilatations over and over again, year in and year out. Personally, I would never go back to that. Even if I do need another procedure in the future, I would absolutely stick with urethroplasty again.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-23-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
(male)

chillipulp HB User
Re: urethral stricture surgery question

You will not get 50% chance of cure with a repeat urethrotomy - especially when you've had recurrence in just a few months. A repeat urethrotomy now is a palliative treatment only. I'm not allowed to quote sources in the medical literature here, but believe me, there are lots and lots of them.

Under ideal conditions, with a short (<1cm), superficial, previously untreated, single stricture, located in the bulbar urethra, a urethrotomy might have a 50% chance of cure, though that's somewhat questionable.

If the same stricture had been treated with an anastomotic urethroplasty - excising the strictured section - you might well have an 80-90% chance of cure.

If the stricture is longer (and doing urethrotomies will tend to extend the stricture), urethroplasty might require tissue grafts. This may not give as good a chance for permanent cure, but it still has far better long-term success rates than repeat urethrotomy.

In my own case, after failed urethrotomies, I had urethroplasty with buccal mucosa graft in 2006, on two strictures (the original one, and another one resulting from the previous surgery). Doing well so far.

I am always horrified when I read the experiences of people who keep on having urethrotomies and dilatations over and over again, year after year. Personally, I would never go back to that. Even if I do need another procedure in the future, I would absolutely stick with urethroplasty again.

Reply Reply