It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

MrsFizz HB User
Five different antibiotics and no relief in sight.

My story begins on January 1, 2012 when I woke up in sever pain and immediately knew it was a UTI. I waited to go to the doctor for a week because a friend of mine said I could get rid of it by myself and like an idiot I believed her!

I went to my clinic, the PA gave me 3 days of macrobid. I could tell by day two it was getting worse so he put me on 3 days of cipro 250mg 2x a day. That did not help. I went back, gave another u/a and he put me on a week of nitrofuritoin...no luck. I went to another doctor and she put me on 500mg of cipro 2x a day for seven days NO LUCK!!! So I went back to her and she did a whole entire work up. After I finished the cipro it still wasn't better so I went to the ER on Friday Feb. 3 and was given IV drugs of Cedax and put on 14 days of Cedax along with pain killers. A full cat scan was done to show no obstruction and the cat scan came out good.

I have been on Cedax for almost a week now and still have the heavy bladder and now a yeast infection.

Am I expecting too much to be rid completely of the full bladder by now especially since the infection was so bad? I just want to feel better again and at times feel almost suicidal thinking I'll never feel good again. I'm lost. Can someone please give me answers or advice?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

MrsFizz HB User
Re: Five different antibiotics and no relief in sight.

Is there anyone who knows anything?!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Perhaps the next thing should be a urine test, to see if the infection is still there? That's about all I can think of.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

ammery HB User

Have you ruled out Interstitial Cystitis? That's what I have, and it mimics the symptoms of a UTI almost exactly. I was diagnosed with a ureteroscopy.
Other than that, is it possible you have grown a tolerance to antibiotics? I discovered that with me once when I had tonsilitis. They had to boost me up to stronger and stronger types of antibiotics till they found one that worked.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

MrsFizz HB User

I've been calling my doctor to see if I can get looked at for IC...when I was seen in the ER almost a week ago, it did show nitrites and bacteria in my urine. This is so frustrating! Couple that with no insurance and a doctors office that takes hours to get a hold of and this is hell for me.

I'm on very strong and rarely prescribed antibiotics that don't finish until Feb 17th so perhaps I'm expecting too much and maybe will see an improvement by then?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

I feel for you. Going thru something a bit similar. I am 47 and have gotten UTI here and there. My symptoms started Feb 5th, could not wait for dr. on monday, so I went to ER, I was doubled over in pain, with SEVERE urge to go and had hard time passing urine. I was sent home with antibiotic that was only 100 mg but after 3 doses it did not help me. After 2 days of pain, I called my family dr. and she prescribed Cipro 500 mg 2x a day for 7 days. I will be done on the 14th. Now my dr. just called and said stop Cipro, you don't have an infection. I am like WHAT?? I told her I am a lot better, but still have the urge to go and frequent urination. They suggest I see a urologist. Get this I call up the ER that saw me and they confirmed my urine same DID in fact show infection but 24 hours later my doctor says no. I don't know what the H*** to do either? I know how you feel. I am taking my Cipro till done I don't care what they say. It is possible they got my urine mixed with someone else? Who knows??? Can you tell me was your pain so severe you could not even walk? I felt like ripping my lower abdomen out. I never experienced this is my life. I hope you feel better soon, keep us updated.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
(female)

lloyxxxxx HB User

Hi, I'm going through exactly the same - areyou better now?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
(female)

Yes, I am better, but it wasn't UTI, I had kidney stones and passed them back in Feb. Follow up with urologist in May showed sill blood in urine, had scope test to rule out other things and all fine, but why still blood in urine? Dr, wants to see me again in Sept. to check urine again.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
(female)

lloyxxxxx HB User

Thanks for coming back to me, glad you are feeling better. Mine was a UTI, docs say its gone but it doesnt feel right and I need to pass urine every 1 to 2 hours, sometimes every 30min. It's been 4 months and exhausted

Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
(female)

That is not normal. What do the docs say? Have you gone to urologist? I know the urge to go is horrible, fine if you are home, but when your not its not good.

Reply Reply