It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
(male)

Nuisverige HB User
Visible Blood in Urine

Hi,

I am a 55 yr old male. Three years ago, I had non-visible blood in my urine which was picked up when I had an odd backache. I was offered cystoscopy but refused. Now I have very dark brown and sometimes blood red urine frequently, but I have not yet consulted my doc. If this continues, then I know I will have to make an appointment.

My question is this - if they decide it's not simply a bladder infection, is there any alternative now to cystoscopy? I will absolutely and positively not have that procedure, or any other intimate procedure like that under any circumstances - it's not an option. So can they offer me anything else to investigate this? Or will I just be turned away on the basis of "there is nothing else"?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
(male)

Nuisverige HB User
Re: Visible Blood in Urine

No. I had an ultrasound when I had the micro-hematuria previously and it showed nothing. I haven't had the back pain since then - the only change is that now there is visible blood. If they suggest it this time, I will go for it again - but no cystoscopy.

Last edited by Nuisverige; 02-24-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I don't think a bladder infection will cause you to have brown bloody urine, or visible blood honestly,,, sounds like an underlying kidney disease or kidney stones,, you need a spiral CT done ASAP, don't let this go,, call your doctor please.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
(male)

Nuisverige HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
I don't think a bladder infection will cause you to have brown bloody urine, or visible blood honestly,,, sounds like an underlying kidney disease or kidney stones,, you need a spiral CT done ASAP, don't let this go,, call your doctor please.
Thanks - I have made an appointment to see my doctor on Wednesday, so I'm definitely having this investigated. Kidney stones had occurred to me as a possible cause and that was suggested last time, but they wanted to do a cystography and i declined. The problem went away as the next time I was checked, there was no blood in my urine. However, now it has come back and it is certainly visible.

I had read somewhere that it was possible now to perform a "virtual cystography", which was not invasive or embarrassing and I wondered if anyone had heard of it. I am not prepared to have the real thing, but I would consider an alternative.

Reply Reply