It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

HDavis2383 HB User
Gross Hematuria

I have had visible blood in my urine, every time I go, for 3 weeks now. It's worse in the morning, and lightens as I hydrate throughout the day.

I've had 2 urine cultures come back normal on all levels and free of infection. I've had a cat scan, normal. Then an ultrasound, kidneys and bladder, liver, all normal. a complete blood workup, all levels are normal. And I just had a cytoscopy yesterday, the inside of my bladder and all the entrances/exits are perfectly normal. I have little pain, sometimes lower back pain, very low, mostly in the evenings and overnight. But nothing that I even would take a tylenol for.

My urologist is baffled. Next step is to have a ct scan with contrast, he says the only thing left to look at are the ureters.

I'm a 37 year old female, in good health, with a 9 month old and a 3 year old.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is costing me a fortune, but he said since the blood is not going away, we can't just let it go. Have to find the source.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

HDavis2383 HB User
Re: Gross Hematuria

I've now also had the ct scan with contrast, and it came back normal.

At 4 weeks now with visible blood.

Next step is a renal angiogram... to look for a valve malformation? It's fairly invasive, my dr doesn't know what else to do.

No ideas or others with this experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

lalo59 HB User

I had visible blood and although the doc put me on Cephalexin, I told her the last time I had visible blood due to aUTI, my previous doc had put me on Cipro. Never mind, she would not listen; Cephalexin did not fix it, so we tried Cipro and it worked. They did some bloodwork and, surprise surprise, it showed I am diabetic (Iwas shocked!). The doc said the blood could also be due to the diabetes as many diabetics have renal cysts.
These days I am learning to take her advice: every time I pee I drink a glass of water. I used to drink very, very little, one glass a day - if that. Plus I have cystocele and urinary retention, both of which make it more likely to develop a UTI.
Did they finally find out where the blood is coming from? It sure is scary to see blood after you pee, isn't it? It always freaks me out!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
(female)

HDavis2383 HB User

No. The ct scan with contrast came back normal. Bloodwork ruled out diabetes and cultures rule out infection. It lasted 5 weeks then just stopped 2 weeks ago but I still have to see a nephrologist and possibly get a kidney biopsy. Yes it is scary, frustrating and expensive!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
(female)

lalo59 HB User

Yuck, a kidney biopsy sure sounds invasive! Wonder if there is any other way to find out? Though it sure sounds like you had just about every test one can think of.
Like you said, it is expensive - not to mention scary... I always end up thinking and fearing the very worst :-(

Any family history of similar problems? I read several articles where they mention that sometimes blood in the urine just cannot be explained; doesn't help us much, does it?
Keep us posted and try not to stress too much

Reply Reply