It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
(male)

LILfeatha HB User
Undiagnosed pain while urinating and abdominal pain

Hello,

I am 23, male.
My problem goes back a few months and is pretty strange so I will write from the time it started. It started off a few months ago (around February/March) while I was traveling, I would just have a burning sensation while I urinate, and maybe a bit afterwards that would last about 10-15 minutes after. I did not treat it as I was traveling, thinking it might be chlamydia (I had unprotected sex with a girl that had chlamydia, although I took azithromycin to clear it, hopefully. Did not check if I had it back then as I was traveling). About a month ago, I started having testicular pain as well. At first it wasn't too bad, but it got pretty excruciating soon afterward. I went to get a chlamydia test and got an antibiotic shot (to treat the seemingly epididmytis) and doxycycline right off the bat. Unfortunately, the test came out negative and the symptoms resided. I went to a urologist soon after, and got my testicles ultrasounded but there were no traces of epididmytis (this was about 3 days after I finished the doxycycline dosage). Also, I had a prostate exam that came out fine. The pain was still there with some random pain, mainly in the left side of my abdomen (about 3-4 inches below the belly button, more on the left side but on the right side as well). I got a urine sample that came out negative, also after being set in culture for 4 days. I was told by the urologist that I should try another kind of antibiotics, this time Levaquin. Even after the results came out negative, he said it was worth a shot. I still experience a burning sensation while I pee (it seems to be a bit better when I drink a lot of water but then I have to pee over 20 times a day. Right now I still go around 10 times a day which is more than I usually did). So now, my symptoms are a burning sensation when I pee, pretty annoying/sometime painful pressure and pain in mainly the left side of my lower abdomen (sometimes right), fever, and fatigue and tiredness a lot. I might have had this fever for a while but only noticed it lately, I'm pretty burning all the time but I always thought it was because of the weather, maybe, but that is just wishful thinking. Also, I do have a lower back pain history and it seems to be apparent more recently, although that might be unrelated as I didn't work out for a long time.
The situation is pretty depressing, especially since the urologist basically seems to be clueless as to the cause of this. If I mention any new symptom (notice the change in symptoms too. I'm glad my testicles aren't hurting, they occasionally do but I don't really take that as something unusual anymore) he says it might be now the colon, etc. Doesn't add up to the burning sensation (which might be a different thing altogether). I'm pretty tired of the situation and am about to move to a new apartment and start college, I don't suppose there's a quick fix but I would really appreciate your input. I was thinking this might be kidney or bladder stones or so, it doesn't seem to be an infection. I have also read an article where antibiotics can destroy the good bacteria in my kidney and leave the bad bacteria and that's why the lower abdomen is in pain now.

I would also add that I had unprotected sex with a girl that complains of UTI's, she says her doctors don't know what she has either (negative on STD's), but she is in pain during sex and occasionally peed blood, so I might've gotten whatever it is through her.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by LILfeatha; 06-25-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
(male)

acesnof HB User
Re: Undiagnosed pain while urinating and abdominal pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILfeatha View Post
Hello,

I am 23, male.
My problem goes back a few months and is pretty strange so I will write from the time it started. It started off a few months ago (around February/March) while I was traveling, I would just have a burning sensation while I urinate, and maybe a bit afterwards that would last about 10-15 minutes after. I did not treat it as I was traveling, thinking it might be chlamydia (I had unprotected sex with a girl that had chlamydia, although I took azithromycin to clear it, hopefully. Did not check if I had it back then as I was traveling). About a month ago, I started having testicular pain as well. At first it wasn't too bad, but it got pretty excruciating soon afterward. I went to get a chlamydia test and got an antibiotic shot (to treat the seemingly epididmytis) and doxycycline right off the bat. Unfortunately, the test came out negative and the symptoms resided. I went to a urologist soon after, and got my testicles ultrasounded but there were no traces of epididmytis (this was about 3 days after I finished the doxycycline dosage). Also, I had a prostate exam that came out fine. The pain was still there with some random pain, mainly in the left side of my abdomen (about 3-4 inches below the belly button, more on the left side but on the right side as well). I got a urine sample that came out negative, also after being set in culture for 4 days. I was told by the urologist that I should try another kind of antibiotics, this time Levaquin. Even after the results came out negative, he said it was worth a shot. I still experience a burning sensation while I pee (it seems to be a bit better when I drink a lot of water but then I have to pee over 20 times a day. Right now I still go around 10 times a day which is more than I usually did). So now, my symptoms are a burning sensation when I pee, pretty annoying/sometime painful pressure and pain in mainly the left side of my lower abdomen (sometimes right), fever, and fatigue and tiredness a lot. I might have had this fever for a while but only noticed it lately, I'm pretty burning all the time but I always thought it was because of the weather, maybe, but that is just wishful thinking. Also, I do have a lower back pain history and it seems to be apparent more recently, although that might be unrelated as I didn't work out for a long time.
The situation is pretty depressing, especially since the urologist basically seems to be clueless as to the cause of this. If I mention any new symptom (notice the change in symptoms too. I'm glad my testicles aren't hurting, they occasionally do but I don't really take that as something unusual anymore) he says it might be now the colon, etc. Doesn't add up to the burning sensation (which might be a different thing altogether). I'm pretty tired of the situation and am about to move to a new apartment and start college, I don't suppose there's a quick fix but I would really appreciate your input. I was thinking this might be kidney or bladder stones or so, it doesn't seem to be an infection. I have also read an article where antibiotics can destroy the good bacteria in my kidney and leave the bad bacteria and that's why the lower abdomen is in pain now.

I would also add that I had unprotected sex with a girl that complains of UTI's, she says her doctors don't know what she has either (negative on STD's), but she is in pain during sex and occasionally peed blood, so I might've gotten whatever it is through her.

Thank you so much.
I was in a similar situation and im pretty sure its because the chlamydia caused some damage.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
(male)

LILfeatha HB User

Like I said, chlamydia test came out negative, although I might have had it for about 1.5 months before taking the azithromycin, although I did not have any symptoms back then (I might not remember, if anything, I might have had some pain while urinating, as I can't seem to remember a time without that )

Thanks

Old 06-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Since you have had negative urine, culture and chlamydia treatment, I would wonder if the fever, fatigue and burning with urination and back pain is an inflammatory reaction rather than infection. There are a few rheumatological conditions that can cause urethritis, one in particular that commonly follows Chlamydia, called Reiter's syndrome. I would document your fevers so you and Dr. know how high they are, and get in to see a rheumatologist. Your PCP could do some intial screening, like sed rate, CRP to check for inflammation, but I think a rheumatologist is your best bet.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
(male)

LILfeatha HB User

Thanks, I thought some blood tests could help. Would you say it might also be IC ? I know it's rare, and very rare among men but it seems to fit my symptoms. I'm just hating this right now, especially taking so many antibiotics for no reason, but I think it's best to finish this batch.
It seems like antibiotics or steroids might be needed ?

Thank you.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is possible the abdominal pain is from interstitial cystitis, but that doesn't cause fever, fatigue or back pain. A cystoscopy would be helpful to visualize the urethra and bladder.

Last edited by ladybud; 06-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
(male)

LILfeatha HB User

Thank you,

I set up an appointment for a PA at an internal medicine clinic tomorrow, and will set up another one with an MD next week. I hope this will be resolved because I start college freshman year in less than 2 weeks This has been going for far too long. They will probably take some blood tomorrow and we'll go from there.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think the Reiter's syndrome is the top consideration to rule out. Unfortunately there is no specific test to confirm it, but 75% of people who develop it have a genetic marker in the blood called HLA B27. A complete blood count would help rule out infection and a sed rate and CRP should be done to check for excess inflammation. These could be high in Reiter's. An ANA blood test would help to rule out lupus, an uncommon disease in men, but with similar symptoms to Reiter's. A blood chemistry would be good just for completeness and any other clues, and they may want to repeat the urine test.Please get back to us on the outcome, and hope you get answers before you go back to school.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
(male)

LILfeatha HB User

Thank you.

I hope they will do all those tests tomorrow. I don't want to mention any disease really except for explaining what I've been going through, so they'll do their own ruling out and next week when I see the M.D., see where we stand.

I'll keep you posted. Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
(male)

LILfeatha HB User

Ok, some news.

I got yet another 2 urine samples done and the blood tests came out normal, nothing unusual in them. (they gave me several different tests, liver function, kidney function and a few other things). I went to another internal medicine doctor and she's clueless too, and told me I should go to another urologist and maybe get a cystoscopy. She says my urine sample showed some crystals so she thinks I might have stones in my urethra. What do you think? Can that cause lower abdominal pain (Seems like those are the intestines giving me the pain) and I guess it can obviously cause a burning sensation while I urinate.

Edit: I would also like tips on what to do next! I asked her about Reiter's and she said I would need to have joint pain etc so that was discarded. Basically, I would indeed like some sort of home remedy to get this cured. Too bad college is next week and I don't want to get that cystoscopy. It seems like I will just live with it now, drink lots of water and hope for a miracle, or at least for it not to get worse!

Thank you!

Last edited by LILfeatha; 07-03-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
(male)

LILfeatha HB User

Hi,

Same old stuff. I might go to a gastroenterologist tomorrow and hope to get more answers that way. It comes and goes, today I didn't have it, but the past few days I did. I just have to drink lots of water but the abdominal pain seems to be even more random. Your advice is blessed but I will not do all that, especially drinking so much apple vinegar.

Thanks! Any other advice good people of HB forums ?

Reply Reply