It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

kec1944 HB User
Flomax for women with chronic urinary retention?

I am a 39 year old very healthy female who has been experiencing urinary retention(about 100ml) for the past 6 weeks. Can't figure out a cause for it. I've been doing some research and found that Flomax has been being given to females as a treatment for urinary retention....anyone else hear about this? Anyone had success with it? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
(female)

Jhlcomp HB User
Re: Flomax for women with chronic urinary retention?

Yes, i was also prescribed flomax for the same condition. However i have not started it yet. When i was catheterized, the dr said that the procedure sometimes eliminates the need to begin flomax because the urethra is expanded during the catheterization which is true. Now it's four months later and i am back to retaining urine.

I went back to my urologist yesterday. The nurse did a quick scan and said i was not experiencing UR because i only had 22cc. The dr goes ahead and caths me and gets out over 150 cc. Hmmmmm.... Right now i am ok, but i will begin flomax the moment i need it.

It was suggested i take it at night before going to bed. I thought it was going to work right away, but not necessarily - can take days and someimes weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

kec1944 HB User

Glad I am not alone! I haven't started it yet since I am Ok for the time being. Please keep me posted as to how you're doing and I will do the same. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

kec1944 HB User

By the way, have you undergone urodynamic studies to figure out the cause of your retention? I have and was diagnosed with bladder outlet obstruction. I am going for a second opinion from another urologist in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, this is so damn uncomfortable...I just wish I could empty all the way! Please keep me posted as to how you are doing.

Reply Reply