HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Urology (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/)
-   -   Pain in my urethera (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/920020-pain-my-urethera.html)

AVL 09-24-2012 07:01 PM

Pain in my urethera

I get these shooting pains through my urethera. I feel it shooting up my penis. I thought it was an STD i checked it. NOPE. I went to a urulogist and he did a prostate check with his finger and i pee'd in a cup. He said i have an infection because there was pain when he touched my prostate. Doesnt' seem right to me. However, i took kephlex and cipro for months. I stopped taking, although i thought it helped, it may just be placebo affect. When it gets bad I take uricalm for a day.

Also i started taking Zyflamend. I am desperate here. I wen back to get a blood test and PSA normal ( i am early 30's)

*** do I do, this is terrible. I tried to cut out coffee and beer, but it only helps a little. I try to stay away from unhealthy food. But i really need to just cure this. before it stays with me for the rest of my life and develops into something more serious. Maybe I should go see a new urologist, this one was like 100 yrs old.

ladybud 09-24-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Pain in my urethera

You apparently had acute prostatitis, which can recur. It sounds like the antibiotics helped, but the infection may have come back after they were stopped. These symptoms can be from infection (germs) or inflammation (no germs, just irritation that feels the same). It would be helpful to have a culture done of the fluid that is pressed from the prostate to see what germs, if any, are involved and what antibiotic would kill them. Prostatitis can be seen in cyclists, so if you are into frequent or long distance cycling, I would see a sports medicine Dr to get tips on reducing the perineal irritation and pressure from the bike seat. Lastly, if no germs are found, there are rheum conditions that can icause nflammation of the urethra and prostate, and that should be explored.

AVL 09-24-2012 07:48 PM

Thanks for that advice. You seem knowledgable.

Do you think i should get back on the antibiotics, it worries me to stay on that stuff. (started getting fungus on scrotum, dr gave me a cream and told me to eat yogurt everyday because how long i been on antobiotic)
YEs i do cycle, but I"m not a hardcore enthusiast, however, I do ride about 1 hr everyday.

DO you think a sports dr is really going to help me? I am looking for a cure!

how do they find the fluid, i heard that is painfull???

What is rheum conditions? I have been recently having chronic neck pain, muscle spasm in my neck/headaches from starring at computer so long and also stress induced. Goes away on the weekend.

OddSymptomslist 09-30-2012 12:28 PM

A second opinion can't hurt if you don't have confidence in the doctor.

He kinda seems helpful. I like old docs because they have nothing to prove.

Good luck and post again w/ updates.

AVL 10-02-2012 07:27 PM

I don't want to jinx it, but I am feeling better after months. The only thing I really did was start taking zyflamend prostate. Geez I hope it lasts. I also am dieting a little better too.

OddSymptomslist 10-03-2012 03:30 PM

hope you're cured!

ladybud 10-03-2012 08:46 PM

Sorry I missed your posts lately. I'm glad you are feeling better! If symptoms do return, The fluid from the prostate for culturing bacteria is obtained by massaging the gland as part of the rectal exam and using a swab to collect the fluid that is discharged from the urethra at tip of penis. In an uninfected gland this shouldn't really be painful, but when the gland is infected, it can be uncomfortable just like pressing on any other infected tissue. A rheum condition is a rheumatological condition like rheumatoid arthritis, but there are some different ones that can cause urethritis and/or prostatitis in men, like Reiter's syndrome (reactive arthritis), Behcet's disease (very rare). Keep in mind too that if the infection recurs and it truly is an infection, antibiotics will be needed. But as for priorities, it is betternto deal with a fungal skin infection (not serious but annoying) than to end up with chronic prostatitis that never goes away. An hour a day of bike riding is certainly enough to cause pressure on the perineum (part between scrotum and rectum). This puts pressure on the prostate gland too. I would invest in a bike seat that has the center ridge hollowed out and a good pair of riding shorts with chamoise (sp?)
crotch padding for cushioning and absorption of moisture. Will help both prostate and prevent fungal infections, which thrive in warm moist areas.

AVL 10-08-2012 07:55 PM

i stopped riding my bicycle and i am having major relief.