It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

OddSymptomslist HB User
Why are women not taken seriously?

Even with a woman doctor and a woman nurse practitioner, they really make one feel like "it's all in my head" or "Stress can do this" and go into detail about how you can be so afraid you pee your pants.

That's funny! I never used to pee my pants and my stress level has NOT changed.

Test results save me every time. What these lady docs can't explain is why they can't cure me.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: Why are women not taken seriously?

I am with you 100%! I also wonder the same thing but I just assumed they treated everybody like this. I have 2 major complaints that I keep repeting everytime I go see any doctor and it is like I just looked at them and say "BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!".. They don't even acknolage I spoke much less offer any suggestions or solutions for my problems.

My fingertip have been tingeling and going numb for some time, they have ignored my complaints and whatever it is, is spreading to more and more fingers.. "BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Oldsymptomlist, it's not in your head. Women really do get treated like that. I think part of my problem is that I am the last in a large family and am used to being talked down to, corrected, patronized, etc., so my reaction is usually to go home later and get mad, but not assert myself much in the 2-second office visits. Add to that the fact that submissiveness was highly valued in my family and you can see how it has been easy for me remain invisible so long.

Words of wisdom from bluelakelady on the fibromyalgia board--get between the door and the doctor! Don't let him leave, until you have been taken seriously--use humor, but don't let him leave. My best visits happen when I bring in a typed-written copy of a) my current medications; b) what brought me in today; c) my recent health history chronicled by category (heart, spinal, urology, etc.); and d) a list of all diagnosed conditions by date. You can write "see attached" on their intake sheets rather than spill your guts on yet another form, the nurses love it because it saves them time and is easier to follow, you save all your reserves for telling your story to the actual doctor, and you have the ongoing copy to take with you the next time. You also have proof that you have brought the problem to their attention on this date, that date, and so on. You become a lot harder to ignore.

Best to you.

Last edited by baserockermom; 09-28-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubells View Post
I am with you 100%! I also wonder the same thing but I just assumed they treated everybody like this. I have 2 major complaints that I keep repeting everytime I go see any doctor and it is like I just looked at them and say "BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!".. They don't even acknolage I spoke much less offer any suggestions or solutions for my problems.

My fingertip have been tingeling and going numb for some time, they have ignored my complaints and whatever it is, is spreading to more and more fingers.. "BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!"
This sounds like carpal tunnel syndrom to me.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Many male docs are also deaf & wear rollerskates.

Try to find a doctor with MD & DO after their name.

The DO is an extra year of training to check the whole body. They are not deaf & do not wear skates

Good luck

Reply Reply