It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

akp4a HB User
Exclamation Misdiagnosed UTI?

I was diagnosed with a UTI today, but it doesn't make sense to me as I have none of the typical symptoms such as frequent and painful urination. My symptoms have been extreme fatigue, bodyaches, night fevers and sweats. I was prescriped a 10-day prescription of Bactrim, but really don't want to take it if I really just have a virus or something. Thoughts? Is it possible I could have those symptoms with a UTI but not the primary ones typically accompany a bladder infection?

FYI, the diagnosis was made by urine sample. Could it just have been tainted somehow resulting in a misread?

As a follow up: I just did an at home test and it showed very high leukocytes but no nitrites. Could high leukocytes just mean I'm fighting off some other infection or does this only occur with a UTI?

Last edited by akp4a; 10-04-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Misdiagnosed UTI?

It is possible to have a UTI without the classic burning and frquency. Fever and sweats with leukocytes in urine can indicate a kidney infection (rather than bladder). The best way to truly diagnose a UTI is to do a culture (grow the bacteria) and sensitivity (test which antibiotics will work). If this is your first UTI, you could ask the Dr. to do a culture before you start the Bactrim, should be done Friday, then start Bactrim, and by Monday you'll be better and have your culture results. Just in case it doesn't work, you will know why. Viruses do not cause UTI's, bacteria do. Contamination of a urine specimen would just show up as bacteria, not as leukocytes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

akp4a HB User

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify, the urine at the doctor supposedly had bacteria in it, so that's why she immediately decided I had a bladder infection even though I had no symptoms of that. I really wasn't convinced I had a UTI, so I did a home test, which indicated no bacteria, but did show high leukocytes. But as of this morning, no nitrites and no more leukocytes either.

I think the doctor made a rushed and inaccurate decision unfortunately.

If I did have a kidney infection, wouldn't I be in intense pain from that? I sure hope that's not what has caused all this. I seem to be operating normally other than my flu-like symptoms. But my symptoms do seem to be getting better - so I'm thinking that what I had was just a virus and not something that needs to be treated with an antibiotic.

Turns out I'm allergic to the Bactrim anyway. I tried it for one day and got a rash all over my body...

Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Sometimes people have just flu like symptoms without pain. The fact that you had high leukocytes means something is going on. It is unlikely that one day of Bactrim would cure this. Since you have dipsticks at home you can monitor the leukocytes, but with it being a weekend, you can have it flare back up and have to then go to urgent care for another antibiotic or culture. Maybe your Dr could call in an alternative before closing today in case you need it. It is not likely you would have a UTI and a virus, and viruses don't cause UTIs. Y

Reply Reply