It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

gdible HB User
Microscopic Hematuria and elevated BUN

I'm a 52-yr old post menopausal woman and have considered myself healthy. I am under a great deal of stress but exercise to relieve that stress. Over the past year, two blood tests have shown microscopic trace of blood in urine and slightly elevated BUN. Both times my primary doctor told me I was dehydrated but I do drink liquids. Since I was worried, my doctor ordered a 24 hr urine test, Sed rate test, kidney ultrasound, and CBC. All tests came back normal. My creatine clearance on one test was slightly high (118) vs the normal 75-115 range but no big deal. GFR was good.

I had a kidney/abdominal ultrasound that came back normal.

I had a PAP 6 months ago which was normal. I went back to my OB/GYN for a pelvic ultrasound which was normal.

Finally, I had an in-office cystoscope. The urologist took some images but said everything looked normal. He did some other pathology tests that also came back normal.

I don't have any pain. Sometimes, I have a slight burning sensation in my lowest abdominal area. Since all my tests came back ok, what could be the reason for this microscopic blood? The doctors say it can be normal but I don't feel comfortable with this claim. I don't know why I have trace blood in my urine this year. Also, why could my Creatinine be higher?

The only difference from last year in my health is that I've gained 5 pounds from menopause.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
Re: Microscopic Hematuria and elevated BUN

Hi, my issue is a little bit like yours. I have the microscopic blood in urine, I am almost 48. I don't have elevated bun though but my blood cells are atypical. My dr. has no answer for me either. I am told some people have hematuria. No I had kidney stones 6 months ago and had xrays, ct scan and also the cystoscope test done and showed absouletly nothing... I had my 6 month checkup with still blood in urine and atypical cells, now they want me to continue to get checked every 6 months. So now I will worry... Who knows prior to this if I always had hematuria? I understand how you feel, we just want answers and no one seems to be helping with that.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
(female)

gdible HB User
Re: Microscopic Hematuria and elevated BUN

Thanks for your reply. Today, my urologist called me and indicated my FISH test had come back abnormal. Tomorrow, I have to go for a pelvic CT scan with contrast. Did your doctor do a FISH test? Anyway, my hematuria first showed up in April 2012. My BUN had been elevated since Sept '11.

My urologist says that hematuria can be a precedent to urethral cancer. However, he says that this type of cancer is low grade and very treatable.

I hope you continue to push for tests. I was a basket case when I heard that I need to proceed with more tests. However, I feel better that my doctor said my condition is treatable. Good luck and thank you for your reply.

Reply Reply