It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

Blue83 HB User
Question Bladder irritation after UTI

Hi all, this seems like a fairly common thread, so I apologize, but I'm wondering if there are a number of people out there who have had bladder irritation or inflammation after a UTI. Specifically, I'm hoping to hear some success stories that the condition will resolve on its own. I've read a number of threads that end up, understandably, with people posting about some major problems, which really scares me.

After several courses of antibiotics my UTI appears to be gone but I'm still left with a persist urge to pee all the time. Sometimes I pee a normal amount and sometimes it's a lot less, despite feeling that my bladder is full. It's very distracting at work and school and is generally driving my nuts. My GP referred me to a urologist who said my bladder is likely inflamed (?!) and put me on 1 macrobid for 30 days and Uribel 2x a day for 7 days to relieve symptoms. The Uribel mostly seems to help. I'm also supposed to avoid certain foods.

Has anyone else experienced this inflammation post UTI and did it go away on its own? If so, how long did it take? I'm trying not to stress out but it's difficult when the symptoms are constantly distracting and persistent.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

MAGU13 HB User
Re: Bladder irritation after UTI

I'm going through the same thing unfortunately I've ordered D-Mannose hoping this will cure these annoying and sometimes painful symptoms. I'll repost if it works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

Blue83 HB User

I just googled D-Mannose and it sounds helpful. My urologist said to nix the cranberry juice and I interpreted that as all cranberry items, including my cranberry supplements that I just purchased. Sounds like I should be taking these. Please keep me updated on how D-Mannose is working for you. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
(female)

MAGU13 HB User

Wow, no the the cranberry items? Why is that? But then again, it hasn't really been making a difference for me (I've been taking about 4 450mg cranberry pills along with drinking 8 oz throughout the day). I even tried the baking soda method and ACV, nothing seems to help. It all started with my first UTI about a month ago... took bactrim, still felt the symptoms...gave another sample and had a slight bacteria left in the urine so they gave me cipro...I thought maybe I could ride it out without the medication and save it for a really horrid UTI since I was not feeling too bad. Big mistake because I got extremely sick a few days later (fever, the runs, nausea, loss of appetite) So ended up taking the cipro. I felt better but I still felt the symptoms...gave another sample and traces of blood was in it and they gave me bactrim again (which I took while having sex, no sickness through then). That medication was done and the next time I had sex I immediately started feeling sick right after. I just drank a bunch of water, cranberry juice, sweated my fever out and felt a bit better the next day (still had the symptoms though). Then I had my "period" or if I could even call it that. It was very out of the ordinary..bleeding, no bleeding, bleeding...very inconsistent flow. and I still have the symptoms. Mainly it's like a pain that will come every so often along with an urge to pee that is always there, even right after I get up off the toilet. It's so frustrating. It's not really a MUST go, but it's a feeling that is always there and is very bothersome. I don't really go a lot at night...if anything, it's probably less painful then. Sorry, I know I kind of went off on your thread but I appreciate you letting me do so. I should get the D Mannose tomorrow so I'll experiment with that over the next few days and let you know.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
(female)

Blue83 HB User

MAGU13 - Has your D-Mannose arrived yet? On Tuesday afternoon, after you posted about buying D-Mannose, I called the Vitamin Shoppe in my area and bought some D-Mannose powder. I've taken the recommended dose twice a day for 2.5 days now. I feel AMAZINGLY better. I feel so much better that I don't need to take the Uribel symptom reliever to quell the feelings of constant urgency and general annoying discomfort. I think I must have had some lingering bacteria that was masked by the presence of antibiotics in my urine cultures. I think I'm possibly resistant to the Macrobid at this point. I checked in with the nurse at my urologist's office before buying and taking the D-Mannose and she said to defnitely buy it and try it. She said they don't usually recommend it to patients because it's not part of the normal prescription routine. <--- That confuses the heck out of me. Western medicine.... Anyway, I have to thank you a thousand times over and over and then over again. I geniunely think my feeling better is directly related to taking the D-Mannose powder. THANK YOU!!!!

Please let me know how it's working for you! I hope you're feeling better as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

MAGU13 HB User

Wow I'm so glad to hear that it worked really well for you!!! I just got mine today and I will take the recommended servings. I hope it works well for me like how it worked for you...I'm so happy I could have been of help I will let you know how it works for me too.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
(female)

BlueberrySwirl HB User
Unhappy Re: Bladder irritation after UTI

Hi everyone, im going through the exact same thing as you guys. After my uti i have been left with this frustrating urge to pee day and night. Some days im fine, other days it seems like im back to square one. My urine samples always turn out to be normal.
What we are probably going through is a little bladder irritation after all the antibiotics and infection. I would suggest cutting out caffeine/ acidic foods such as oranges and tomatos for a while and see if that helps. D Mannose is great, because it has anti inflammatory properties which help soothe the bladder lining.
Ive had a friend who said her problems didnt get better until after about 3 months. Its something we have to learn to cope with but it does get better with time and I guess we all just have to be patient! In the meantime, drink loads of water, have loads of veggies which help soothe the bladder and stay away from alcohol and caffeine, and maybe that will help speed up the healing process!
I hope you guys feel better soon, it seems like this is common amongst a fair few of us so im sure its just a case of waiting it out to see if it improves!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
(female)

BlueberrySwirl HB User

Hi everyone, im going through the exact same thing as you guys. After my uti i have been left with this frustrating urge to pee day and night. Some days im fine, other days it seems like im back to square one. My urine samples always turn out to be normal.
What we are probably going through is a little bladder irritation after all the antibiotics and infection. I would suggest cutting out caffeine/ acidic foods such as oranges and tomatos for a while and see if that helps. D Mannose is great, because it has anti inflammatory properties which help soothe the bladder lining.
Ive had a friend who said her problems didnt get better until after about 3 months. Its something we have to learn to cope with but it does get better with time and I guess we all just have to be patient! In the meantime, drink loads of water, have loads of veggies which help soothe the bladder and stay away from alcohol and caffeine, and maybe that will help speed up the healing process!
I hope you guys feel better soon, it seems like this is common amongst a fair few of us so im sure its just a case of waiting it out to see if it improves!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
(female)

MAGU13 HB User

So I tried the mannose and it hasn't really helped. Maybe I'm just taking to much, but I was taking a teaspoon about every 2-3 hours. Then I started feeling nauseous and gaseous. So I cut it back to just half a teaspoon. Nothing really, but I continued to do so because I heard sometimes it can even take up to a week for improvements. This morning I took half a teaspoon and just felt extremely nauseous. It might have been because I took it on an empty stomach...but then I did have a hefty bowl of oatmeal afterwards. Do you think that might have been the case? Idk, I might try the waterfall Dmannose because I heard it was more pure? Anyway, my symptoms are on and off but I pretty much always have the feeling of still having to empty my bladder, even right after I pee. I mean it's not like a dying urge to go but it's a "still there" kind of thing. I was drinking orange juice and eating tomatoes about daily, maybe that could have contributed to slow healing. I'm still going to see a urologist though because there's still some blood in my urine (not really visible to the naked eye though). I wonder if that's just cause it's still inflamed....although it's already been a little over a month :/ Well, we'll see what they say at the appt. Thanks for your support though! I appreciate you sharing your story as well :-D

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
(female)

brownmj3 HB User

I know its been over a year since the last comment on this, but wanted to see if any of you have an update to provide. I have a long history with UTIs, about 5 years ago I was having chronice UTIs and went through a series of tests - scope, ultrasound, the whole nine yards, everything looked normal. I have microscopic hemeturia with no apparent causes. Luckily, I haven't had a UTI in three years until last week when one popped up. I was traveling and had a 5 day supply of bactrim which I took. It somewhat helped but I am still feeling uncomfortable and urgency. Went back to doctor and urine looked clear..still a trace of blood which I have always had. I don't know if I should be concerned..if it will get beetter with time. I've cut all caffeine and am drinking water like its going out of style. I feel 90%, but still have that weirdness. If I take UZO, it helps, but don't want to cover up any potential problem I have. Any advice?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #11
(female)

Layla6 HB User

Hi
I know this was last posted in over a year ago, was just wondering how long the symptoms took to clear and what worked best!!
I had a uti four weeks ago which was misdiagnosed twice, eventually getting the correct treatment but I am left with the bothersome urge which starts as soon as I have been to the bathroom.
I don't have to dash to the toilet but it is there, I am not on anti spasm drugs from the Doctor as they think my bladder is irritated and spasming for the UTI. It is really getting me down and wish it would just go :-(

Reply Reply

Tags
bladder problems, frequency of urination, relief, urgency to urinate, uti