It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
(female)

JG3429 HB User
relief from constant urge to urinate

I thought that I would write a more positive message on here, as when I was feeling really depressed and searched my symptoms on the internet, all I could find was horror stories. I assume that people do get better, but that they quickly forget how bad they felt, and so you don't get to hear their stories.

I had a UTI at Christmas, and was treated with antibiotics. Although they seemed to help, the constant urge to urinate never really seemed to go away. (Which was the only symptom I ever had). Since that I have been back to the doctors numerous time. Each time they tested and sent away my urine and it came back clear. I was told it was potentially just an inflammed bladder after a bad infection. I cut out anything even remotely acidic in my diet, but the only thing which seemed to actually make it worse was drinking cranberry juice.

I have an appointment to see a urologist in a month as my symptoms still remain. BUT ... I have found some relief! The doctor prescribed me oxybutynin hydrochloride which is meant to relax the bladder. I have been taking this for about 4/5 weeks now and I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement. Initially I had some fairly weird side-effects (which I think are relatively normal with this medication) including feeling faint, dry mouth and some weird stabbing pains! These have all gone away now. I no longer need the toilet during the night and get a great nights sleep - something which I was beginning to lose hope of ever regaining! I no longer constantly think about going to the toilet!!

Anyway, my problem is not resolved, but I wanted to post a more optimistic message to reassure people that there are medications out there, which can help with the symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to JG3429 For This Useful Post:
ajm523 (04-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
(female)

ams1012 HB User
re: relief from constant urge to urinate

I have had the same problem for a month now. I think my cause is from Drepression. I remember my urge to urinate (That's the only symptom) plus an orgasmic feel when I did urinate started after a stressful arguement with my boyfriend. After that, my emotions went downhill and the feeling to urinate came and went. I noticed it wasn't a problem if I was calm and relaxed, but when I am anxious or stressed or even overwhelmed it comes back. I have even woken up from stressful dreams that triggered the urge.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

jmb99 HB User
re: relief from constant urge to urinate

I have the same thing, this is the second time I've been in this situation.
It's anxiety.
I've been through all the blood and urology tests and they all come back negative.
Finally my doctor prescribed Effexor (novo venlafaxine). It takes 6 - 8 weeks to kick in but it worked the last time, so I'm counting on it working again this time.

Hope this info helps.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
(female)

JG3429 HB User
Smile re: relief from constant urge to urinate

I just wanted to write a quick update, so maybe give people some hope.

Following on from my earlier message in this thread, I have been completely symptom free now for around 18 months. Yippee!!

In the end, the thing that worked for me, was Vesicare. The doctor that gave me that diagnosed me with an overactive bladder, although I didn't fit most of the symptoms (as the only symptom I had was a constant sensation of needing the bathroom). I guess that after my UTI the nerves were so irritated that it needed a muscle relaxant to help them to relax.

I took Vesicare for about 6 months, and then stopped - and that was over a year ago now.

Just thought that my story might help someone else, as I know how horrible it is, and sometimes when people get 'cured', they disappear off the boards, and you never hear how.

The following user gives a hug of support to JG3429:
OddSymptomslist (09-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to JG3429 For This Useful Post:
OddSymptomslist (09-23-2012)
Closed Thread